iPhone and WiFi operation question

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everybody.
I recently made the move from Android over to iOS on the iPhone 6. On my Note 3, when using WiFi I could/would toggle off the cellular data so it wouldn't be eating up battery unnecessarily. Now on the iPhone I can toggle the WiFi on/off quickly from the control panel, but the cellular data setting is in the menus. This just got me curious and I wanted to ask you all about how the WiFi on the iPhone actually works.

When toggling the WiFi on, does the iPhone shut off or pause cellular data somehow so it's not unnecessarily taking up battery or somehow using data? Is it better or advised to shut off cellular data when toggling WiFi or is it a non-issue? What do you personally do?

Thanks!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as you have a decent cellular signal, your battery should not be affected much when on Wi-Fi. As far as I know, cellular data is not paused while on Wi-Fi. What if you receive an SMS message? It'll still get through even though you're connected to Wi-Fi. The only time I disable Wi-Fi is when I'm in a movie theatre and place the device in Airplane mode. Other than that, I leave it connected and I can last all day with moderate to have use.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Besides messaging and calls, does the iPhone give priority to WiFi for apps that need data, assuming it's switched on? For example, say you have WiFi turned on and open up the YouTube app, would it only use WiFi as long as the WiFi signal is strong/on?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If u turn off cellular data u will still receive sms,and mms as long as it's iMessage (pics will be prompted to be downloaded). On the iPhone 6 battery is not a concern unless your in a terrible signal area.

My question is does the iPhone turn on wifi to do background data bc afaik the wifi turns off then the device is in standby where as in android you can force it on all the time.

On a side note it's very possible by next year or the year after for LTE cellular modems to consume less power then wifi.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner