The correct way to charge your iPhone.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I thought I would start this topic because there are many different opinions out there on how to correctly charge your phones battery.

I may not know the correct way but I was told the way that preserves the battery best is to NOT fully charge your battery everyday but to charge throughout the day and do at least one full charge a month. Is this the correct way? Is there a correct way?

Mods, if this topic is located somewhere else please scratch this.

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I thought I would start this topic because there are many different opinions out there on how to correctly charge your phones battery.

I may not know the correct way but I was told the way that preserves the battery best is to NOT fully charge your battery everyday but to charge throughout the day and do at least one full charge a month. Is this the correct way? Is there a correct way?

Step 1: connect the phone to the charger when the battery is low.

Step 2: that's it!!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have always tried to use it til I get to about 1% or dead and then charge it to 100%. I find I get better longevity that way.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Apple batteries are rated more for "charge cycles" rather than having a charge memory. You don't have to kill a battery and charge it to full, necessarily.

A charge cycle is 0% - 100% charge; if you plug your phone in at 50%, it counts as half a cycle, etc. so if you plug it in every night at 50% or charge it every other day at 0%, it still comes out to around 3 1/2 charge cycles a week.

Here's Apple's write up: https://www.apple.com/batteries/#mn_p

Sent from my gracefully aging iPad 2 with iOS 8.0 using Tapatalk

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
The thought process I follow is to charge the phone every night or when needed. Once every now and then (every month or two or three), I try to run it down below 10% to re-calibrate the gauge. Other than that, I don't really pay attention to what percentage I put it on the charger. As others have stated, there really isn't any memory effect in Li-based batteries, and charge cycles are based on 1-100 with partial charges counting as such. Also, I've read that when a Li battery is completely drained, it deteriorates. Not sure how true this is, and I believe that the battery usually has a "reserve" below 0% to prevent this degradation. But I don't take too many chances with running it until completely dead.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Some people can't take their chargers to work and have it charging all day. What if your on a construction site for example?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Charge when ever you want or need to. It does not effect how often it's plugged in nor how long it's charged

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely.

The iPhone has voltage regulation, where it is constantly charging as required, then stops when fully charged. Then, as the phone consumes power it will once again get a momentary recharge until it reaches 100%, and as long as the charger is plugged in, the cycle continues.

GolferChris68

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have always charged my phones overnight. I need my phone to last for a full workday, which gives me no choice but to fully charge overnight. The battery/phone/charger is smart enough to stop charging when it reaches 100%. I have never had an issue with charging this way. Just charge it as please, and enjoy the phone! :)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Most (all?) modern Li based batteries have a charging circuit which cut off charging when it reaches full capacity to prevent over charging, so charging overnight should not pose a problem.

DMBAdict04

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance, it's alright to use iPad charger on the iPhone right?

Absolutely. I use my iPad charger all the time.

So, I've always ran my phones down completely when fresh out of the box. Once dead, I charge to 100% then run them down again. After this initial break-in, I try to run my phone from 100% - 0% (followed by a full charge) at least once a month. If I remember correctly, Apple recommends the once a month run down...

In regards to using an iPad charger. I found conflicting information regarding this very topic today. There are reports surfacing that claim an iPad charger will charge your iPhone 6/6+ much faster. Which sounds great but...a lot of the research I did today uncovered that the slower a battery charges, the better it is for the battery's longevity.

So, while it may be great to be able to charge quickly, it might not be the best thing in the long-run. With that being said, I'm going to play it safe with my new iPhone 6 and charge using my iPhone charger.

I used to use my iPad charger on my iPhone 5. However, I don't want to damage the battery on my new phone.

As a sidenote, I did find information that said there is a regulator within the iPhone that regulates how much power it receives from a charger. Meaning that the iPhone wouldn't use the extra power from the iPad charger if it couldn't withstand it. This may be true but again...the slower a battery charges, the better it is for the battery. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods