SwiftKey keyboard

Balotelli45

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So I downloaded the SwiftKey keyboard and have been using it since ios 8 launched. What I'm trying to ask here is how do I make it my default keyboard? Because it just always reverts back to the stock ios keyboard and I'd like that to stop :|

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a lot of people asking the same thing and all you have to do is erase all the other keyboards in the phone settings area: general --> keyboard--> keyboard --> edit and them erase thise you don't want (except emoji if you use it). But in my humble opinion I wouldn't do that just yet, there are still some bugs and errors around with third party keyboards and I have seen them failing in many apps, so you still would want to be able to use the stock keyboard. Or at least in my personal case.

Good luck :)

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
What happens when you get to a restricted field? I thought I read that Apple would not allow any third-party keyboards on stuff like password fields (to ensure its not "phoning home" with your password).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What happens when you get to a restricted field? I thought I read that Apple would not allow any third-party keyboards on stuff like password fields (to ensure its not "phoning home" with your password).
Maybe that's why SwiftKey did not show the text field in the App Store. Makes sense.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

luckydwg

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I added apple keyboard for certain situations right now for example if ur sending a picture message through the camera or photo app the SwiftKey keyboard won't drop down to see what address ur sending it too. I am sure there will be fixes by SwiftKey and apple moving forward.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Correct. No third party keyboards allowed in password fields.
If you want a quick access to Keyboards in settings, use the app Launcher. Go to the "app launcher" and tap on the settings app. You'll see a selection of settings destinations you can put on your Notification Screen. It makes switching keyboards easier.
Here's mine:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411339899.243975.jpg

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The only thing SwiftKey (on iOS at least) has over apple's quick type keyboard is flow and the fact that lower case letters actually appear as lower case. Maybe the visuals too (I love swiftkey's dark theme) but the apple keyboard looks so good that's even a debate. But I'm so used to tapping to type that I hardly even use flow anyway.

Not having a mic for speech dictation, not having keyboard clicks (I love them but this is my own preference), not having the keyboard shortcuts, and apple's surprisingly good word prediction made me uninstall swiftkey rather fast.

So basically unless you absolutely have to have a keyboard with swiping functionality or if you have to have a darker keyboard I'd recommend just uninstalling swiftkey altogether and just sticking with apple's quick type.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
Not having a mic for speech dictation, not having keyboard clicks (I love them but this is my own preference), not having the keyboard shortcuts, and apple's surprisingly good word prediction made me uninstall swiftkey rather fast.

I agree regarding the keyboard clicks. For some reason I really like hearing the clicks. I know it's a small thing but to me it helps the experience of using an on screen keyboard. Hopefully this is something that changes in the future.

Also, I think the stock keyboard in iOS8 has improved significantly. I actually like it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only thing SwiftKey (on iOS at least) has over apple's quick type keyboard is flow and the fact that lower case letters actually appear as lower case. Maybe the visuals too (I love swiftkey's dark theme) but the apple keyboard looks so good that's even a debate. But I'm so used to tapping to type that I hardly even use flow anyway.

So basically unless you absolutely have to have a keyboard with swiping functionality or if you have to have a darker keyboard I'd recommend just uninstalling swiftkey altogether and just sticking with apple's quick type.
I look for update improvements to the 3rd party keyboards. Hopefully SwiftKey will add the click sounds and show the mic soon. We'll see.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I finally decided to give SwiftKey a try and I'm shocked how well it works.
I wish there were some kind of work around the security issue that prevents the 3rd party apps from working in the App Store and other places. I like using SwiftKey, but it is a hassle to switch back and forth, even using the Launcher app I showed above. That does help.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I wish there were some kind of work around the security issue that prevents the 3rd party apps from working in the App Store and other places. I like using SwiftKey, but it is a hassle to switch back and forth, even using the Launcher app I showed above. That does help.

I agree and hopefully something can be done. For now I'm back to the stock keyboard after getting an eBay input crash entering a tracking number

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree and hopefully something can be done. For now I'm back to the stock keyboard after getting an eBay input crash entering a tracking number
Yeah, it's not going to work on eBay, Amazon, bank apps, PayPal or anywhere where security is an issue. I would suggest a quick switch of some sort. I would think Apple needs to address that.