How did the phone get water damage?

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so on my mother's 5 it wouldn't connect to the network but otherwise worked perfectly. I told her to stop at the apple store today and they said they couldn't figure out what was wrong and that sprint has been having some issues so go there. At the sprint store they tell her it has water damage and cannot be fixed and would give her $117 for it and sell her a new phone which they did. She did not sell the old one yet. She said she has never gotten the phone wet and I believe her because she treats its nicer than anyone should and it's always in a case so its flawless. I would have thought the genius bar would have checked for water first as anytime I have taken a phone there they first shine their lights in all the ports to see if there is damage or corrosion. I am having her take it back to the apple store tomorrow and have them check for water damage but thought I'd see if anyone else has either had a carrier lie to them or actually get water damage after not having it ever get wet.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When you say "it wouldn't connect to the network", which network are you referring to? Wi-Fi network or cellular network? If it worked on the cellular network but not a Wi-Fi network, she should try resetting the network settings via Settings - General - Reset. Heck, do it if it has difficulty connecting to a cellular network. In regard to water damage causing the problem, it's possible. Has she ever let raindrop get on her phone? In any case, I would definitely take it back to Apple, state your case, and have them check it out.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Many phones have these strips that detect water damage. They are far from foolproof cause any kind of moisture could trigger it. Don't need to actually get the phone wet.

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't connect to the cell network and didn't even say sprint anymore next to the reception indicator. I had her do a full reset last night and that didn't work. I didn't feel like trying to help her a ton over the phone (I'm sure you guys with older parents can feel me there haha!) and she is minutes from a apple store so I assumed they would work their magic and fix it up. I will update with what happens in the morning, just kinda frustrating since she burned an upgrade on my line that I was hoping to get a 6 for my wife with.

Also, Gazelle is offering $120 for a perfect looking/working 5, why would sprint nearly offer that for a water damaged one? That's one reason why I have a feeling they just saw an older woman and decided they wanted to sell her a phone rather than work with her.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Im wondering how that Genius Bar missed the moisture sensors in the phone. I'd sure trust them more than a sales wonk at Sprint. Sounds like mom got scammed.

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
So apple says no water damage. Going to head to sprint with her soon to raise hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I went to the sprint store and they couldn't explain why she was told there was water damage. They said there was some issue with the phone and icloud that was messing up the phone. We tried to delete icloud but it wouldn't delete the account from the phone which was weird. I got the card for the manager who wasn't there and will also call customer care and see what I come up with. I am going to do some digging to see if that is a common issue on the 5 as well and maybe someone has found a fix for it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the 5 and know many who do. I've never seen this iCloud issue on a new phone. Used phones, yes. What happens when you tap the red "Delete Account" option?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
It is used, its 13 months old. I don't have the phone in front of me but it came up with some error saying it can't be deleted and to try again later.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is used, its 13 months old. I don't have the phone in front of me but it came up with some error saying it can't be deleted and to try again later.

I, too, have an iPhone 5 and have never run into anything like that. You may have to backup your device, upload any photo, video and music to a cloud service or external drive, and then restore your device. Afterwards, set it up as new and not from a backup. That's what I recommend.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If "Find My iPhone" is locked in Restrictions, would one be able to delete the iCloud account? OP, check to see what may be restricted in settings.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

matthewjagiela

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I think it may have something to do with the find my iPhone activation lock... I would restore the phone but not do a backup as JustMe'd said. Sorry Sprint 'Scammed' you and I hope you can get your update back.

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's some sort of activation lock. I tried to wipe the phone but it wouldn't let me. How else can you wipe it?

matthewjagiela

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's some sort of activation lock. I tried to wipe the phone but it wouldn't let me. How else can you wipe it?

If I had to take a guess you could do a DFU restore I think... If that doesn't work call Apple support or go to the Apple store again and see what they can do.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods