Considering Moving to iPhone

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been there done that with Android.... But it could work well for you.. Give iOS a try.. If things don't work out.. return it...

I don't use any google app linked up on my device so I can't comment. Sorry.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am currently a Droid RAZR M owner and I am now considering all options for devices that are similar in size to my current device. This includes the iPhone 5. I am not considering the 5S because I see no use for a fingerprint scanner. I have a few questions regarding iOS and Apple in general to better be better informed:

How is Google Services on iOS?

Is there a Google Keep alternative?

Is there any of you guys who moved to iOS from Android?

How is sharing handled on iOS compared to Android? I mean how I can share anything to Pocket from practically anywhere.

How is Google Chrome on iOS? Does Bookmark sync work well?

Does Google Maps work well?

Any and all help is appreciated as I have never posted here before.

1) They work pretty well

2) I use Evernote as it works on everything

3) I use Android, iOS, BB10, WP8, and WebOS

4) Similar, but different. You can't share *everything* the same way.

5) I think it works fine, but I don't sync bookmarks with anything really.

6) Yes, it works fine.

Really though, you should take everything we say with a grain of salt, as "work well" is kind of a subjective thing. On my Linux box, I need to update my boot menu as I added a new hard-drive, I'm too lazy to do that, so I fix it manually each boot. Some people may say that "isn't working well" but I would say it is, as I can fix it in a few seconds.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried the app Swiftkey Note? I like it. It's been useful. It's how the stock keyboard on iDevices should be.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

If it's only on that one app, and not a keyboard replacement I won't bother because that's just a tease ...
I wish Apple would buy Swiftkey and make it iOS's default keyboard. I'm so tired of this tap, tap, tap, tap, tap ... tap, tap,tap ... tap, tap, tap nonsense!

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I am currently a Droid RAZR M owner and I am now considering all options for devices that are similar in size to my current device. This includes the iPhone 5. I am not considering the 5S because I see no use for a fingerprint scanner. I have a few questions regarding iOS and Apple in general to better be better informed:

How is Google Services on iOS?

Is there a Google Keep alternative?

Is there any of you guys who moved to iOS from Android?

How is sharing handled on iOS compared to Android? I mean how I can share anything to Pocket from practically anywhere.

How is Google Chrome on iOS? Does Bookmark sync work well?

Does Google Maps work well?

Any and all help is appreciated as I have never posted here before.

1. Google services on IOS work as well as or possibly better than they work on Android. You won't have a problem with any Google service you use if you move to IOS.

2. Yes, such as Evernote or the standard notes app

3. I moved back to IOS from Android. I prefer the simplicity and ease of use of IOS because it feels more like what a phone should feel like in my opinion.

4. I'm not really sure how pocket would work with IOS because I haven't used it. Somebody else should be able to answer that for you.

5. Google Chrome works very well on IOS. The bookmarks and everything sync properly.

6. Google Maps works amazingly well on IOS. You'll have no problems using it.

I think you should just make the switch. Trust me, you'll love the iPhone 😃

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
How is productivity overall on iOS? I am in college and I regularly check emails, web browse, read docs on my phone, and read my news feed through Feedly.
Also, how is battery life? Does iOS seem more efficient than Android?

IMO, if you're reading a lot of docs, the iphone screen is too small. Thats just me though, lots of people find it sufficient. I don't

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
IMO, if you're reading a lot of docs, the iphone screen is too small. Thats just me though, lots of people find it sufficient. I don't

I can see where you are coming from. I am apprehensive of the smaller screen. Even m Razr M has a 4.3 inch screen, and my Moto X had a 4.7 inch screen. Last time I used a 4 inch screen was 2 years ago on my Dinc 2.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
1. Google services on IOS work as well as or possibly better than they work on Android. You won't have a problem with any Google service you use if you move to IOS.

2. Yes, such as Evernote or the standard notes app

3. I moved back to IOS from Android. I prefer the simplicity and ease of use of IOS because it feels more like what a phone should feel like in my opinion.

4. I'm not really sure how pocket would work with IOS because I haven't used it. Somebody else should be able to answer that for you.

5. Google Chrome works very well on IOS. The bookmarks and everything sync properly.

6. Google Maps works amazingly well on IOS. You'll have no problems using it.

I think you should just make the switch. Trust me, you'll love the iPhone ��

What hurts the most is that there is no Google Keep on iOS.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I can see where you are coming from. I am apprehensive of the smaller screen. Even m Razr M has a 4.3 inch screen, and my Moto X had a 4.7 inch screen. Last time I used a 4 inch screen was 2 years ago on my Dinc 2.

I have used Android (Nexus 5) and have a 5S. However, I don't use any of the Google apps you mention. But, I really miss Swype keyboard and the fact that with iOS there still seem to be weak inter-app movements. For example, if I click a link in an email, the iPhone opens up the link well, but I can't find an easy way to go back to the email. I seem to have to close the web browser and re-open the email app. This is frustrating, and unless I'm missing a quick solution, is weak design.

Hatdware-wise, the battery life in my 5S is far, far better than I had ever expected it to be, but as said before, the screen is too small to be useful to work on if I'm away for the office for a lot of document browsing...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
But, I really miss Swype keyboard and the fact that with iOS there still seem to be weak inter-app movements. For example, if I click a link in an email, the iPhone opens up the link well, but I can't find an easy way to go back to the email. I seem to have to close the web browser and re-open the email app. This is frustrating, and unless I'm missing a quick solution, is weak design.
I know right? I'll open something in Facebook or other app that will open Safari. After I'm done there's not an intuitive way of returning to the original app. I always catch myself trying to swipe the screen in Safari to get back to the original app. The best work around I've come up with is double taping the home button to bring up the recently used apps and tap the original app to return, but that's a lot of effort for something that should be easily fixed in the OS ...

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I know right? I'll open something in Facebook or other app that will open Safari. After I'm done there's not an intuitive way of returning to the original app. I always catch myself trying to swipe the screen in Safari to get back to the original app. The best work around I've come up with is double taping the home button to bring up the recently used apps and tap the original app to return, but that's a lot of effort for something that should be easily fixed in the OS ...

I don't really think it's a problem. It works, right? I usually just use the multitasking to bounce back to the app. It only takes a second

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

You're right, the Home button double-tap is the quickest way back. I reckon they need to come up with a better way to return to the original app... Something for the programmers/Devs to get their teeth into I guess.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't really think it's a problem. It works, right? I usually just use the multitasking to bounce back to the app. It only takes a second

It does take a second as you say, but it's a bit like having to go back to your front door each time you want to go into a different room...

Last edited:

Jay Imerman

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Right now I'm using a nexus 5, coming from a iPhone 5S.

The biggest thing I miss is battery life. I feel like I'm not getting as much use time as I was my iPhone.

Also, I feel like I'm micromanaging too much to try and get battery life. Disabling things and monitoring things. Maybe I don't need to do it, but I am. And I never had to do that with ios .

I'm more of a app person than a widget person anyway.

So, I actually may send it back to Google at this rate.

Although I am an Apple enthusiast, I manage a tech blog. I hear constantly from Android users how Apple sucks, blah blah blah. However, I hear a lot from former Apple users, that they can't wait to switch back - especially for the reasons RavenSword mentioned. Further, I have a Security 100 series of articles that discusses precisely why a non-jailbroken iPhone is the most secure device on the market (and I'm not considering the father of modern smart phones - Blackberry - to be in the market any more). So, from a standpoint of security, reliability, as an app developer, and as a user the choice is clear.

As to the fingerprint scanner - this is also discussed in my Security 100 series. It is a major leap forward in convenience - just think about it, as you operate a vehicle, you can hands-free unlock the device without taking your eyes off the environment. For security's sake, you don't have to worry about strangers peering over your shoulder to see your password as you type it in. And, just forget about facial recognition unlocking - that is completely useless.

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've tried all the OS's over the last 3 months and ended up going back to iPhone. My main reasons are that the iPhone productivity apps such as mail, notes and calendar are smooth and seamless. There are less glitches and bugs on iOS, the UI is smoother across the board and the apps are always polished thanks to Apples walled garden approach. The closest a rival came to stealing me was the Nexus 5, which is a well balanced and powerful phone. But I found the battery life a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal