Considering Moving to iPhone

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I am currently a Droid RAZR M owner and I am now considering all options for devices that are similar in size to my current device. This includes the iPhone 5. I am not considering the 5S because I see no use for a fingerprint scanner. I have a few questions regarding iOS and Apple in general to better be better informed:

How is Google Services on iOS?

Is there a Google Keep alternative?

Is there any of you guys who moved to iOS from Android?

How is sharing handled on iOS compared to Android? I mean how I can share anything to Pocket from practically anywhere.

How is Google Chrome on iOS? Does Bookmark sync work well?

Does Google Maps work well?

Any and all help is appreciated as I have never posted here before.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no experience with Android devices. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you. Welcome to iMore.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm using a nexus 5, coming from a iPhone 5S.

The biggest thing I miss is battery life. I feel like I'm not getting as much use time as I was my iPhone.

Also, I feel like I'm micromanaging too much to try and get battery life. Disabling things and monitoring things. Maybe I don't need to do it, but I am. And I never had to do that with ios .

I'm more of a app person than a widget person anyway.

So, I actually may send it back to Google at this rate.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Only things I think I missed when getting an iPhone, after only mostly having Android, was Swype and a file manager.

The iPhones function very flawlessly. The way they run all apps in an integrated way, it helps keep the device flowing. The RAM management is very efficient as well. I don't get hang ups or crashes at all.

The call quality is really unmatched. It's better than my Note 3, BlackBerry Z10, and Lumia 810. It's impressive.

I own a 5c and a 5s. It ended up that I'm selling the 5s because I favor my 5c. They are both incredible devices though.

Google services seem to sync well across the board. You may need to go in and manually sync them sometimes but it's not too much of a hassle.

As for Chrome, I don't really use it. I'm sorry I can't be of more help there.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

The biggest thing I miss is battery life. I feel like I'm not getting as much use time as I was my iPhone.

Also, I feel like I'm micromanaging too much to try and get battery life. Disabling things and monitoring things. Maybe I don't need to do it, but I am. And I never had to do that with ios .

As far as apps go everything works well?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Only things I think I missed when getting an iPhone, after only mostly having Android, was Swype and a file manager.

The iPhones function very flawlessly. The way they run all apps in an integrated way, it helps keep the device flowing. The RAM management is very efficient as well. I don't get hang ups or crashes at all.

The call quality is really unmatched. It's better than my Note 3, BlackBerry Z10, and Lumia 810. It's impressive.

I own a 5c and a 5s. It ended up that I'm selling the 5s because I favor my 5c. They are both incredible devices though.

Google services seem to sync well across the board. You may need to go in and manually sync them sometimes but it's not too much of a hassle.

As for Chrome, I don't really use it. I'm sorry I can't be of more help there.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

How is productivity overall on iOS? I am in college and I regularly check emails, web browse, read docs on my phone, and read my news feed through Feedly.
Also, how is battery life? Does iOS seem more efficient than Android?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

So iOS seems to be better at battery management compared to Android?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Chrome on my PC and my iPhone all the time. Mobile Bookmarks sync in an instant, and so do opened tabs on both sides. Histories are indicated in sync too on both sides. Largely, a very reliable and good app that never crashed or failed on me.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I use Google Chrome on my PC and my iPhone all the time. Mobile Bookmarks sync in an instant, and so do opened tabs on both sides. Histories are indicated in sync too on both sides. Largely, a very reliable and good app that never crashed or failed on me.

Safari is noticeably faster than Chrome because Apple doesn't allow Chrome to use the faster Java engine.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So iOS seems to be better at battery management compared to Android?

Yes. Because apple controls the system so much, they are better able to manage power
consumption. Contrast to that control, however, is that you have to be on board with what apple wants the device to be.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I still have to monitor the battery of the nexus 5 more. First few days aren't good for testing since you use your phone a lot more the first day or two that you get it.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I miss Swiftkey, and the big *** screen of my galaxy s4. Every time I try to use it though I go running back to my iPhone by the end of the day.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll answer the ones I know and have experienced.

How is Google Services on iOS?

Google has done a good job keeping their services (most of them) compatible with iOS. There are apps for Chrome, G+, Gdrive, Gsearch, currents, blogger, G translate, play books, G Earth, G Maps, hangouts, G Play music all access. I've use them and they work very well and most of them are constantly updated and improved keeping the google UI.

Is there a Google Keep alternative?
What? I don't know much about this, but I'm pretty sure there's an app for that lol.

Is there any of you guys who moved to iOS from Android?
Tons of people have changed and keep changing back and forth all the time :p

How is sharing handled on iOS compared to Android? I mean how I can share anything to Pocket from practically anywhere.
That part depends more on the options included by every app developer IMO. I mean, some apps have large sharing options, some others don't.

How is Google Chrome on iOS? Does Bookmark sync work well?
Chrome is an outstanding app, bookmarks and everything else sync excellent. It was my go to browser (before moving to Mac) and I still use it a lot but safari has been improved specially in iOS7 and most of the options chrome has, are available there.

Does Google Maps work well?
It depends on where you are located, but overall the app also works very well, a lot of people here prefer it over Apple maps, me included.

Any and all help is appreciated as I have never posted here before.

Welcome to iMore, I hope we can be of much assistance :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I miss Swiftkey, and the big *** screen of my galaxy s4. Every time I try to use it though I go running back to my iPhone by the end of the day.
Have you tried the app Swiftkey Note? I like it. It's been useful. It's how the stock keyboard on iDevices should be.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I run an iPhone 5, an iPad a Galaxy Note 3 and an HTC One and I can sync Chrome on each and every one of them effortlessly.

Google Maps seems to work better on my iPhone than on my Note 3 but about the same as my HTC, so all-in-all pretty robust.

Pocket is available for iOS devices too -https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pocket-save-articles-videos/id309601447?mt=8 so you shouldn't have any problems there either.

I'm not familiar with Google Keep but a quick Google (heh( tells me that there is an app called 'Turbo Note for Google Keep' available on the App store too. Over to you to see whether it offers you the same functionality.

The battery life of my iPhone 5 is really really good and easily the same as my HTC One. Not quite as good as my Note 3 but then that is hardly surprising given the size of the battery in that behemoth of a device.

Overall, my iPhone and iPad offer a much more slick user interface and 'just works' perfectly without any annoying errors or problems. For instance, my Note 3 has taken to shutting itself off completely over the last few days, necessitating a battery pull to get it going again as none of the buttons work. My iPhone hasn't needed a reset since I bought it over a year ago and my iPad has only been reset twice I think since I bought that in 2011.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox