Durability of the lightning cable. How's yours?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use a Micro-USB to Lightning adapter so I don't really bother with the lightning cable that comes with my phones at all.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If it were up to me, I would make an appointment with the Genius Bar. Tell them what you've been experiencing. And leave the part with the non-genuine cables out of your story. Let's see what they have to say
I've been meaning too, just takes a half hour drive to get to the closest Apple store.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have exchanged mine twice when I had my 5. I think the 30 pin was more "durable" but I believe Apple has fixed the old issues with the lightning cable. I could be wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have two lightning cables(iPad mini and iPhone 5) and both of them have been holding up good so far. I am happy

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So far the connector pins themselves are fine, the cables though...NOT. My husband is fairly gentle with his, for him anyway, and he's on his 3rd one. They just seem to be splitting down the plastic. We cannot figure out why. I've replaced only one of mine, and his mom's on her 2nd as well. I don't know what's different about the "coating" on the Lightning cables vs the old 30pin ones but these are in more need of serious babying than any cables I've ever owned.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
How did you manage to put that on the wire?
I'd like to know as well. I've seen others that did it. When I tried it, the spring got all bent out of shape. :(

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Bend the beginning of the spring to stick in the part closest to the lightning cable then just rotate the cord until the spring wraps all the way around.

http://lifehacker.com/5943071/keep-your-charger-cables-from-fraying-with-an-old-pen
http://snapguide.com/guides/protect-your-charger-from-bending/

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My cable that came with my iphone got fried for some reason. Luckily I had another one handy.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a charger problem. In fact, I still have a charger from the first iPhone! Whoa. All of my OEM lightning cables are working well but the 3rd party cable is no longer working properly. It's time to toss it.

Jay Imerman

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
We have 5 Lightning devices. What we have found, is that the cords that come from Apple with the devices tend to hold up after almost a year to wear and tear, but they do not hold up to our kids losing them. Same durability there as the 30-pins!

We recently purchased (3) off-brand Lightning cords from a seller on Amazon at about $10 each, and within 6 weeks all 3 had either snapped right off (1), or stopped working (2). Where it snapped off was the little circuit board with electrical leads that sticks out of the adapter, and I suspect the 2 that didn't outright break have flexed and broken connections along the same area.

We have now ordered replacements from Monoprice at around $12 each that have garnered about 100 4- and 5-star reviews, and I will update with feedback in a month. Meanwhile, I can unequivocally recommend the Apple brand Lightning cords at around $30 each.

dlowesd

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have had to replace 4 cables so far, the kids are not as careful with the cords as they should be. Breaks at the lightning end. Purchased docks to solve the problem. Crossing my fingers.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Not me personally, but my sister has had to replace two OEM chargers. There's no reason a $30 charger should be breaking where the cable goes into the connector. The basic Amazon lighting chargers a lot better...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Kat 4.4.2

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So far so good. The only Apple cable we have though sits on my desk at work. At home we have two six foot Amazon Basics that work perfectly. They aren't quite as flexible and feel like they may be more comfortable. The longer length helps when the phones sit on our night stands.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've replaced two so far for myself and 3 for other family members.
For some reason the end that plugs into phone with fray and short out.

The kids have a term for this they called it 'turtleneck-ing', we now stock up on the 6ft long cords and 5 Below. I've also taken to taping and or using a spring on the end so they don't fray and short out.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums Mobile App!

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I took my broken lightning cable in and they swapped it for. Said something probably lodged itself in between the connector and just snapped it out. They looked inside my phone and reassured me that it wasn't my phone that caused it, but if it happens again they would swap the phone and the cable for me.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I took my broken lightning cable in and they swapped it for. Said something probably lodged itself in between the connector and just snapped it out. They looked inside my phone and reassured me that it wasn't my phone that caused it, but if it happens again they would swap the phone and the cable for me.

That's good customer service

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
If your cables break or short or even start turtlenecking and act up you can get them replaced for free at the apple store. I think the same goes for headphones. Charger for sure though.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk