Are you really content with the iPhone?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I am content with the OS, but not with the phone itself. My iPhone 5's battery drains too fast to enjoy it on network, therefore I try not to use it unless I am on wifi. This puts a bit of a dark cloud over the iPhone and one that I hope will be lifted once I get my Plus.

losino

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm content with the iphone. I feel like any of the top phones on the market will do everything I do with the iphone just as well. But the iphone is what I have and it works for me.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having mixed feelings as of late. On one hand with android, I have a lot more hardware choice. It'll be pretty easy to find something I'd like. Also, I don't feel like I'm being locked to one OEM for everything like I would with Apple. As in, I would then feel like if have to use a iPad ir Mac instead of a comparable android tablet and a windows PC. In other words, I feel I can be more agnostic with my tech purchases and ecosystems.

However the drawbacks with android are that there may be more instances of reboots or apps crashing. Also, there's the Speratic software update cycle. They all don't get it the same time.

With iOS, there's a better quality app selection. You also get a really smooth, though limited, experience. As far as customizing and choice goes. And though iOS 8 added a lot, you still get more flexibility with android. The trade off to this is that theoretically, you get less headaches.

But you again have far less hardware options. Want a 1080p screen but in a 5 inch or less handset? Tough luck, Apple only give you that with the 5.5 inch phone. Want wireless charging? Nope.

That's my main reserve with iOS. You have to like whatever they put out. You can't go to another OEM.

I'd like to be able to use a android phone, iPad, and Mac. But this don't sync as well. I won't get continuity or anything. It's a tough choice man.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There was a time when I would pay close attention to every new smartphone or other mobile device that was introduced. I was one of those people who had to have the latest and greatest, and I shutter to imagine the amount of money I spent doing that crap...lol...All of that changed when I purchased the iPhone 4S in October 2011. Since then, I have not even entertained the thought of buying anything other than an iPhone. I'm serious. In no way am I saying that the iPhone is THE best smartphone on the planet, however, I am saying that the iPhone is the absolute BEST smartphone for Just Me, D...:)...Do any of you feel the same?

Yes, I feel the same way at this point.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having mixed feelings as of late. On one hand with android, I have a lot more hardware choice. It'll be pretty easy to find something I'd like. Also, I don't feel like I'm being locked to one OEM for everything like I would with Apple. As in, I would then feel like if have to use a iPad ir Mac instead of a comparable android tablet and a windows PC. In other words, I feel I can be more agnostic with my tech purchases and ecosystems.

However the drawbacks with android are that there may be more instances of reboots or apps crashing. Also, there's the Speratic software update cycle. They all don't get it the same time.

With iOS, there's a better quality app selection. You also get a really smooth, though limited, experience. As far as customizing and choice goes. And though iOS 8 added a lot, you still get more flexibility with android. The trade off to this is that theoretically, you get less headaches.

But you again have far less hardware options. Want a 1080p screen but in a 5 inch or less handset? Tough luck, Apple only give you that with the 5.5 inch phone. Want wireless charging? Nope.

That's my main reserve with iOS. You have to like whatever they put out. You can't go to another OEM.

I'd like to be able to use a android phone, iPad, and Mac. But this don't sync as well. I won't get continuity or anything. It's a tough choice man.

For me, it's not a tough choice. I can live within the parameters of Apple's ecosystem. The continuity of it all (no pun intended) far outweighs the perceived limitations. The fact that my devices will get the newest OS for at least 3 more years is a major plus over the sporadic upgrade process for any of the android devices that even get the updates.

Everything works together nicely. And I can live with that.

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought my first iPhone almost a year ago. So far, I have no complaints?zero. That's very unusual for me, but it confirms that I made the right choice (which was based on Apple's reputation and the many sources of information that I consulted before buying my first smartphone).

I run Windows on the desktop, in part because it's part of my job, and in part for other reasons, such as the wealth of applications available, the relatively high degree of control it gives you over the system (without going off the deep end with something like Linux), and so on. The walled garden of Apple is not for me on the desktop. But when it comes to mobile devices, the walled garden is an advantage, not a disadvantage. I like to tweak desktop machines (or sometimes I have to), but I want a phone that just works when I turn it on. I want reliability, security, quality construction, and absolutely no hassles. And that's what iPhone has given me so far. I don't really care about new models and I dislike major changes, but when this phone wears out, if current trends continue, I'll replace it with an iPhone, and so on for the foreseeable future.

Android phones are for geeks, also known by the euphemism "power users." Geeks spend a great deal of time tweaking and tinkering their computers, but very little time using them for "production" applications. They can afford to spend three hours configuring wi-fi because they never do anything else with the phone, anyway. They therefore love phones that let them change things (and if they buy an iPhone, the first thing they want to do is jailbreak it). But the rest of the world just wants something that does the job, and that's where iPhone shines. The iPhone will not let me replace the kernel paging algorithm for virtual database pages with a module that I spent a year writing myself ? but I don't care, because I'm too busy using the phone to waste time changing it. It's not a religion, it's just a tool, but it sure is a nice tool.
I have an android phone. I spend 0 time "tweaking" it. This is a fanboy myth.

I love how your love fest piece about iPhone was followed by a bunch of people complaining about iPhone.

I'm here laughing my *** off.

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

More myths.

Apps on Android don't crash any more than apps on iOS. I've experienced a lot less than iOS. Facebook used to crash constantly on my iPhone. Not on Android.

Updates. Updates are automatic by Google. If you're talking about OS updates, sometimes you get upgraded and sometimes you don't, but it doesn't matter. Only iOS has app requirements. You will 've able to run all the latest version of all your apps regardless.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's not a tough choice. I can live within the parameters of Apple's ecosystem. The continuity of it all (no pun intended) far outweighs the perceived limitations. The fact that my devices will get the newest OS for at least 3 more years is a major plus over the sporadic upgrade process for any of the android devices that even get the updates.

Everything works together nicely. And I can live with that.

Yeah, the ecosystem is pretty great. I think I'm worrying over not much. I will say though, I'd still like to use my roku 3 over my apple tv I think. Honestly just seems like the better device. I know I can AirPlay stuff, but I'd like a actual app. Plus the roku 3 has so many beat channels. So I'd still like to use it even if I'm using a iPhone again.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the ecosystem is pretty great. I think I'm worrying over not much. I will say though, I'd still like to use my roku 3 over my apple tv I think. Honestly just seems like the better device. I know I can AirPlay stuff, but I'd like a actual app. Plus the roku 3 has so many beat channels. So I'd still like to use it even if I'm using a iPhone again.

Figure out what works for you and then use it. No worries.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
My only worry is ecosystems. Mixing and matching is getting harder to do.

Definitely. I begrudgingly came to the iPhone because I prefer the iPad as a tablet and it was tough to find apps I like that are on both platforms with syncing capabilities. It's better than it was 2 years ago when I switched, but now that I've switched it's hard to go back, especially with the continuity features of iOS 8.

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
When you purchase an apple device you don't just purchase the device, you also purchase a chunk of the ecosystem. I've been on Android for 5 years and seriously contemplating the iPhone 6 plus when they become available again. My wife bought me a MacBook a couple months ago which I love (first mac ever) , she uses iPhone 5, my 13 yr old uses iPhone 4s, my 11 yr old uses my wife's old iPhone 4, and we got our 9 yr old an ipad mini a couple weeks ago for his birthday. The wife wants the Apple TV for Christmas so the kids can stream their stuff to it so for me it seems the right choice to make. I'm not a power user when it comes to phones so to have all the options Android gives you doesn't appeal to me any longer. Plus I like the idea of having my music, pictures, and whatever else in the same circle.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

katiejaneshore

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I used to hate the iPhone about 3 years ago. Because everyone got it because 'it was the best' it did my head in!!! Then I got one... WOW was I in love. It clicked. Everyone was raving about it, because it's perfect for me. And for them too. It does what I need it to do with no 'faffing'. I got a HTC M8 last month for a change. Everyone told me it was great. Heard no complaints. Not biased against android. I truly didn't understand the logic behind the OS structure. I tried so hard to like it. I took it back just before my 14 days, changed for an iPhone. I can't tell you how happy I was to have it back! Everyone wants and needs something different I spose!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. I begrudgingly came to the iPhone because I prefer the iPad as a tablet and it was tough to find apps I like that are on both platforms with syncing capabilities. It's better than it was 2 years ago when I switched, but now that I've switched it's hard to go back, especially with the continuity features of iOS 8.

I consider myself a power user though and thought that android would be perfect. But there's some weird little hitches that are bugging me. Plus, the iOS enhancements to games with Metal in iOS 8 and extensions, all with a good camera seem like a perfect combo for me. Still, my 5S screen size really bothers me.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I also considered myself a power user, but found that a lot of what I was leaving behind, I didn't seem to miss. The screen is small, for sure. I'm on the 6+ now so that's another complaint off the table.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Replying to this once more since having the 6 Plus for a little over a month. I'm really enjoying the phone. Having been back and fourth with blackberry, android, 1 windows phone and iPhone I finally have the iPhone I'm most happy with. Big screen iPhone. Just looking forward to all apps being optimized and I wish they did away with the screen to rotate completely upside down. Other then that, this is the phone for me. Did away with my iPad and now just rocking the 6+ and a MacBook Pro Retina. Next thing I am looking forward to is the apple watch. No phone or OS is perfect but the 6+ and iOS 8 is perfect for me.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Replying to this once more since having the 6 Plus for a little over a month. I'm really enjoying the phone. Having been back and fourth with blackberry, android, 1 windows phone and iPhone I finally have the iPhone I'm most happy with. Big screen iPhone. Just looking forward to all apps being optimized and I wish they did away with the screen to rotate completely upside down. Other then that, this is the phone for me. Did away with my iPad and now just rocking the 6+ and a MacBook Pro Retina. Next thing I am looking forward to is the apple watch. No phone or OS is perfect but the 6+ and iOS 8 is perfect for me.

Interesting. I like the screen rotating upside down. Sometimes I want the power button out of the way!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually wish the screen wouldn't rotate in the home screen. I hate it and have it locked.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually wish the screen wouldn't rotate in the home screen. I hate it and have it locked.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

I guess I'm the odd one out. I like the rotate too.

My gripe is the landscape keyboard. It's too cramped for my tastes and some of the "bonus" buttons aren't useful to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh