We've all read threads in the Ask A Question section where someone found an iPhone and attempted to get the phone wiped so that they can use it as their own. Having said that, what would YOU do if you found someone's iPhone? Would you attempt to locate the owner? Would you try to wipe it and keep it as your own? Would you turn it in to police or a store's Lost & Found section? What? Be honest. Personally, I'd do the following

1. Check the lock screen for ICE information.
    2. Check to see if the lock screen is passcode protected, and if not, I'd check the contacts list for "me", "mom", "dad" or "work" and then attempt to contact the owner.
    3. If at a store and the above failed, I'd turn it in to its Lost & Found or Customer Service section.
    4. If the above is not applicable, I'd notify law enforcement of the found device.
    04-14-2014 05:26 PM
    I would definitely try to find the owner. If it wasn't passcoded I would check for ICE information, check for the carrier information or return it to the local police.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-14-2014 05:29 PM
    Try to check their contacts and call someone they know. Otherwise, I would just take it to an Apple Store and let them take care of it since they are able to track the owner using the serial number.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-14-2014 05:32 PM
    If it happened to me I would defiantly want someone to at least try and return it to me so it would be the least I could do and follow the correct examples
    jburke82 and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-14-2014 06:13 PM
    Try to check their contacts and call someone they know. Otherwise, I would just take it to an Apple Store and let them take care of it since they are able to track the owner using the serial number.
    80+ miles to nearest Apple Store. If no access to ID of anyone who might help, I'd call the police ASAP and turn it in. If they use "Find My iPhone", I don't want it with me.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    jburke82 and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-14-2014 06:14 PM
    Absolutely would take it to the Apple Store. Those that try and keep it to use it as their own don't have a soul.....or a conscience.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    thatgirl87, jburke82 and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-14-2014 07:28 PM
    I would take it to the police dept and let them deal with it in case a report was needed, They have it anyway.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-14-2014 08:05 PM
    I would turn it into the nearest reputable authority.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-16-2014 11:16 PM
    What ever it took, call the carrier, check contact info(if not locked) turn it into PD.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-16-2014 11:23 PM
    Take it to the Carrier or apple to find the owner. If they are found great. If not go to police. It's not mine and I'd want it returned to me if it was me in that case. I've had mine stolen so I'm very careful about that stuff!
    04-17-2014 11:14 PM
    I would try to find someone in the phone to call or if service is still active wait for someone to call and answer it. If that wasn't a option I would prob turn into apple because any other place i don't trust pd it will prob sit and get action off or something any other lost and found employees will prob take it after not being claimed.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    04-18-2014 03:25 AM
    I would turn it in to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    04-18-2014 03:37 AM
    I would follow the same steps mentioned by Justme'd

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums
    04-18-2014 03:54 AM
    A co-worker found an iphone on top of the ATM about 2 weeks ago, outside the building where we work.

After I found out he had tried to keep it and used up all the code attempts I put notes in the elevator and on the buildings entry way stating a phone had been found and what office to come to.

No one to my knowledge has inquired about it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums Mobile App!
    04-18-2014 01:58 PM
    I would search for the owner
    04-18-2014 03:54 PM
    If only the rest of the world was as nice as everyone here...

100% honesty, what I do with a phone I find depends on where I find it. If I sit down on the subway and find your phone with no passcode I'm going wipe and sell it. At work, a restaurant, the gym I will give it to security/lost and found.
    04-18-2014 05:30 PM
    I have to agree with everyone, and turn it in either to the Police or Apple. Thats the right thing to do.
    04-18-2014 06:15 PM
    If only the rest of the world was as nice as everyone here...

100% honesty, what I do with a phone I find depends on where I find it. If I sit down on the subway and find your phone with no passcode I'm going wipe and sell it. At work, a restaurant, the gym I will give it to security/lost and found.
    Location does not matter. You can give the phone to the police if you find it on the subway.

iOS Gravity likes this.
    04-18-2014 06:54 PM
    Location does not matter. You can give the phone to the police if you find it on the subway.

It all depends on the person...
    04-18-2014 07:01 PM
    I do well enough in life that absolutely under any circumstances I'd turn it in to the authorities.

But I have my devices all upgraded and am not scrambling in a hand-to-mouth existence, looking at others enjoying these nice things around me.

Yes, even in poorer times in life I'd have turned it in, but I haven't been tested as severely as many.

I'd probably take it to an Apple Store and not the police, if those were the two options. The police in my neck of the woods are dumb enough re tech that they put four people on a flight to go to One Infinite Loop in Cupertino to ask Apple to grant access to an iPhone locked by a criminal suspect. (Was that a corrupt practice? About as corrupt as the people here who'd hang onto the phones themselves, or try to.)
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    04-19-2014 02:49 AM