Do you buy your iPhones outright or wait for contract renewal?

Bradley Spence

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm just curious to what most of you do. Do you buy your phone from Apple unlocked outright or do you wait until your contract is up for renewal and upgrade? Or pay early upgrade fees?

I find the best way to do it is buy it unlocked from Apple then every time the new iPhone comes out I list mine on eBay and offer (almost) worldwide shipping and find that I usually sell it for around $200 less then I paid for it. Then I line up at the Apple Store on the release date and buy 2 new iPhones, sell one on eBay (for $200 more than it's worth usually), and between selling the new one and the old one I sold on eBay, it usually pays for my new iPhone. It's like I get a free iPhone every time a new one is released. Anyone else do this?

This seems like the best way to upgrade year after year without being stuck in a big contract. It also gives you power to negotiate a better plan with the retention department with your phone carrier ;)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've never once had a contract. I go through way too many phones for this to benefit me at all. I have financed one phone, I regret this decision and won't do it again. I don't like having higher bills due to paying off a phone. If I really want it, I'll sell what I have and put money saved to cover the difference.

Though I'll likely not be buying another android that costs $800 again. Unlike the iPhone, these depreciate in mere minutes.

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I upgrade on contract renewal but next time around I'll probably buy unlocked. It's funny because I used to buy phones every 6 months but when I got an iPhone I thought there was no need to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Almost always buy outright, simply because they tend to hold better value when I get ready to sell it to buy the newest variant. I have, however, used my upgrades a few times just because I've been with AT&T so long and have no real plans to switch. Over the last couple of years, I've given my upgrades to my sisters or brothers since they benefit more from the cheaper cost.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't bought a phone outright since the original iPhone. My last 3 phones I upgraded early. The first 2 BB to HTC EVO 3-D wasn't satisfied with. Next a 4S to 5S because really wanted the 5S. I plan on keeping the 5S until Sept 2015 to get a potential 6S.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I use my caniving speech to get myself an upgrade. The last time I waited 2 years for an upgrade was when getting my iPhone 4. After that, I've gotten early upgrades free of charge from AT&T. First the 4S, then the 5, then the Galaxy S4, then the Note 3 and finally the 5s, all for $200. As of now, I'm technically eligible in August of this year :)

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

GusHerb94

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My last two phones have been purchased outright and secondhand. I'll be buying on contract for the iPhone 6 this fall if I don't decide to switch to att, otherwise I may buy unlocked.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I buy outright. My next purchase, the iPhone 6 will be bought outright now my contract with Vodafone is in the free cancel period and I can move to a cheaper 30 day rolling contract with another carrier for a third of what I'm currently paying.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I buy a new device ever year, so every other year I use an upgrade. The iPhones with Verizon are unlocked, so using my upgrade isn't a big deal because I can still use a different sim when I'm out of the country.

I also never sell my phones in order to pay for new ones. I'll either use it on my second line, keep it as a back up or end up passing it down to someone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I buy them outright. I am on verizon and have unlimited data. I usually use Best Buys Credit card so I get 18 month no interest so that I make payments spread out over a couple months. Usually sell my old iPhone as well and what I end up paying is like if I were to renew with a contract anyway.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I usually just buy the phones outright, I don't buy many of them anyways and not much of my money goes to non-phones.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR