Do you buy your iPhones outright or wait for contract renewal?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Contract! My wife just upgraded from a puny LG Enlighten to a 32 gb iPhone 5c. She got it free with Verizon's 2 yr contract. It's hard to beat free!

Sent from from my iPhone 5

AvalancheRyder

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
My question is, are people really buying iPhones on eBay on launch day for $800+? Does that take into account sales tax on the phones from the Apple Store, shipping fees, eBay & PayPal fees?

I'm in New Jersey, USA and sales tax is 7%. So add that to eBay & PayPal fees of 12% combined, and you're losing almost 20% on every device before you factor in shipping. I tried that scheme before and realized I wasn't really saving as much as I thought.

Figure, if you buy a new iPhone for $599.99 + 7% tax, your total is $641.99. Then you sell it for $800, eBay takes $72 (9%), PayPal takes $24 (3%), and you cover shipping for say $15, then deduct the $641.99 for the iPhone, you wind up with a profit of only $47. Not to mention, on the old iPhone you sell for $400, eBay takes $36, PayPal takes $12, and you cover shipping for $15 again, you wind up only getting $337. Subtract $337 and the $47 profit on the other iPhone from your new iPhone price of $641.99, and your upgrade costs $257.99.

If I'm missing something, let me know. I'd love a way to make this viable myself.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I use to buy my iPhone outright every year. However after the 4S I began going on craigslist and finding my new renewal. This is cheaper and has never failed me yet.

jsing2010

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I used to wait until my upgrade but since switching to the iPhone I buy outright every year almost

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Bradley Spence

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
My question is, are people really buying iPhones on eBay on launch day for $800+? Does that take into account sales tax on the phones from the Apple Store, shipping fees, eBay & PayPal fees?

I'm in New Jersey, USA and sales tax is 7%. So add that to eBay & PayPal fees of 12% combined, and you're losing almost 20% on every device before you factor in shipping. I tried that scheme before and realized I wasn't really saving as much as I thought.

Figure, if you buy a new iPhone for $599.99 + 7% tax, your total is $641.99. Then you sell it for $800, eBay takes $72 (9%), PayPal takes $24 (3%), and you cover shipping for say $15, then deduct the $641.99 for the iPhone, you wind up with a profit of only $47. Not to mention, on the old iPhone you sell for $400, eBay takes $36, PayPal takes $12, and you cover shipping for $15 again, you wind up only getting $337. Subtract $337 and the $47 profit on the other iPhone from your new iPhone price of $641.99, and your upgrade costs $257.99.

If I'm missing something, let me know. I'd love a way to make this viable myself.

I've never had to worry about the sales tax thing (maybe cause I'm in Canada?) but it is worth selling on eBay if you are willing to ship it oversees. If you look at closed auctions, the ones that ship worldwide sell for a lot higher.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I normally wait until my contract is ready to be renewed, or use a family member's eligible upgrade. With the 5S, however, I bought mine outright. I saved up money over the summer when my phone got stolen and bought it on launch day.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I always buy outright. I can't remember the last time I bought a subsidized phone.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

hooplvr

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
So does buying outright make a difference in what you pay a month on your service plan?

Sent from my White/Silver iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've never once had a contract. I go through way too many phones for this to benefit me at all. I have financed one phone, I regret this decision and won't do it again. I don't like having higher bills due to paying off a phone. If I really want it, I'll sell what I have and put money saved to cover the difference.

Though I'll likely not be buying another android that costs $800 again. Unlike the iPhone, these depreciate in mere minutes.

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

Agreed, that's what I did when I bought my 5C in October.
I have since paid it off, but regret dropping that kind of money on a phone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I always used to do contract, but I bought my iPhone 5 outright, I'm debating whether or not to renew my contract or continue to purchase my phones outright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I do upgrades only because I don't usually have $800 laying around to drop on a phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I usually wait for the renewal period, but I have bought a phone early and paid the fee. That was when I had an Android phone and couldn't stand using any longer. 😜

CJoel

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm debating whether I should start buying outright the phones myself. Most likely I will since I do not want to be tied to another 2 year contract and have to pay ETF.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't see upgrading faster than two years. I buy a decent amount of cases and accessories they better last at least two years. I feel comfortable on the non-S years. I used to think that the S years were mostly incremental. But, the 5s changed all of that with Touch ID and the 64-bit A7.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I buy all my phones outright.. I like knowing I have no strings attached :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Both. Recently either outright or eBay. This October will be the first time I fully completed a two year contract. Not with the same phone though lol. I will most likely purchase the iPhone 6 with a new two year contract to save money.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've done both. I will not do that "next" nonsense. Either the 2 year upgrade or full price and sell my current. My husband needs a new phone whether he wants it or not. So this year I'm sure I'll be outright.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR