It scared the crap out of me when I heard the black 5 would scratch easily and look awful. Somehow I managed to only get ONE tiny nick on mine the 8 months I used it.

Hardware wise I went through 1 screen because of a dead pixel, and through one phone because of yet another dead pixel and a power button becoming intermittent.

My faith in Apple quality has gone down since, but not by much.

I got a used space gray 5S that had fairly bad backlight bleed through, it wasn't an early model either. My current 5S is silver and appears to be a hit so far. If not, it's under warranty for another 11 months and I'll probably sell it before then...

I wouldn't dare use a 5/5S without a case(because of that soft aluminum), I wasn't so afraid to use my 4 without a case though (also that thing was as reliable as the sunrise.)

I think in the end I simply believe that higher production rate simply means higher chance of receiving a lemon, so my opinion of Apple quality hasn't really changed much.
    04-10-2014 12:10 AM
    In my opinion the 4/4s is a much tougher phone than the 5/5s. I love my iPhones but I wish my 5s' were more aesthetically durable, like the 4/4s. Those phones didn't need to have a case for everyday use (though I used one anyways). If you keep your 5/5s naked it will scratch or burr eventually and that makes me feel sad but it may be less expensive to produce?

Sent from 3 f IV 🔘
    04-10-2014 12:19 AM
    The 4S, though I've only had it for 2 weeks is by far the most solid phone I've ever had. The glass and stainless steel body is sturdy and combined with Element Case Vapor4 that I have installed, this thing just feels so good in hands! My mates have been telling me of the home and power button getting messed up after quite some time so I guess that's just some of the thing that I have to keep an eye on...
    04-11-2014 08:39 AM
    Solid.

Thinner may make it feel less durable. But no issues at this time
    04-11-2014 08:46 AM
    I think I tend to "baby" my iPhone because my phone does not have as much damage as other people's iPhones. However, I have dropped my iPhone 5 more than once and the paint has chipped in some areas.

Never had a durability problem with the iPhone 3G or iPhone 4. The 3G's battery got really bad toward the end. iPhone 4 was great. No big problems with the 5.
    04-15-2014 02:38 AM
30 12