Group Messaging?

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Could someone explain to me what this does if set to on and what it does if it's off? I never got this lol. Sorry for asking so many questions.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394655262.777835.jpg

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk 😊

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Group messaging allows you to send messages to multiple people and have any responses delivered to everyone in the group. Group messaging works with iMessage and MMS.

If you send a message to multiple recipients without group messaging in use by the sender and all recipients, an individual message will go to each recipient using either SMS or MMS. Responses to these messages will be delivered only to the original sender in separate messaging threads.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Group messaging allows you to send messages to multiple people and have any responses delivered to everyone in the group. Group messaging works with iMessage and MMS.

If you send a message to multiple recipients without group messaging in use by the sender and all recipients, an individual message will go to each recipient using either SMS or MMS. Responses to these messages will be delivered only to the original sender in separate messaging threads.

So if I turn that little switch off, a separate message will go to each individual recipient? & if it's on a message will go to everyone? If I'm not misunderstanding.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk 😊

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Here is a screen shot of a group message.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395429697.226057.jpg
Having that toggled on will alow you to pick two or more recipients for your messages. When I get a response it will appear in this thread and not in the individual contact's thread

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's what a response looks like
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395429923.076414.jpg
If Belinda had responded her message would have her picture next to it as well. Pretty neat huh?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

darkpurple92

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
how come i don't have that option?:(...p.s is there a way to message 50 contacts at once? Does this option allow u to do so? Because i find it annoying as f tht my phone crashes when i try to send a bunch of ppl a happy new year message or so

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
how come i don't have that option?:(...p.s is there a way to message 50 contacts at once? Does this option allow u to do so? Because i find it annoying as f tht my phone crashes when i try to send a bunch of ppl a happy new year message or so

Group maximums are set by the carrier...not Apple. If I remember correctly, most of the major carriers restrict group iMessage to 10 recipients at one time. If you turn OFF iMessage and MMS, you can send to more than 10 people, but it will essentially just send them as standard text messages and would not be in a group on their screen.

darkpurple92

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
yeah sms i meant not imessage group. it lets me send to groups through imessage but not sms:(....

mykalgrant

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Group maximums are set by the carrier...not Apple. If I remember correctly, most of the major carriers restrict group iMessage to 10 recipients at one time. If you turn OFF iMessage and MMS, you can send to more than 10 people, but it will essentially just send them as standard text messages and would not be in a group on their screen.

In addition, I have experienced that MMS messages no longer arrive to my device if I turn off iMessage and MMS. So if you send/receive pictures, this will not work for you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
yeah sms i meant not imessage group. it lets me send to groups through imessage but not sms:(....

You should be able to do that. Why can you not? Does your carrier not allow it?

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5