left iOS for Nexus 5....buyers' remorse set in almost immediately

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
These are some of the reasons I left android, granted I LOVE widgets and all the fun stuff but instability 100 worry free I don't get from android and 100% perfection I don't get so I leave... Every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Try swappa.com they would LOVE your nexus and think the iPhone is garbage so ... Your luck
Is good there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I might try the Moto X if they changed their build materials. I'm not a big fan of the front of the Moto X and how that plastic, that looks cheap to me, runs around the front.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I might try the Moto X if they changed their build materials. I'm not a big fan of the front of the Moto X and how that plastic, that looks cheap to me, runs around the front.

I'm not a fan of the build on the Moto X either. I've looked at it several times since it has such a rabid following with some over on AC. People go on and on about how good it is but in the end it's just a middle of the road android. It doesn't do anything for me. I hope Lenovo ups Motorola's game now that they own them. My Lenovo Miix 8 2 is quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was an original G1 owner on Tmobile, then Evo and Evo 3D on Sprint. Got tired of android and decided to switch to iOS and owned a iPhone 4S, and 5. My mom wanted to upgrade so I decided to buy an off contract Nexus 5 and give her my iPhone 5. My first impression of the N5 was initially good, but things went south quickly. I will say the boot times have shrunk significantly, which was one of my major frustrations with the Evo line. I got everything up and running fairly quickly, almost as if I never left. However I did notice the camera was not very snappy, so I checked what version of KitKat i was on. I was running 4.4, which i knew needed an update. I try to run the OTA update with no success, just a failed to download error. WHen I hit retry nothing happened. So i go online to hear this is a fairly common issue, and proceed to push the update using ADB. It went fairly smoothly, but once again I was let down with the requirement of having to push an update rather it just working the way it was supposed to. Meanwhile I also noticed my wifi at home was very sketchy at best, even though my iPhones never had any issues, my N5 was constantly dropping signal. Still havent solved this issue, but followed up on a few leads. Overall, I was reminded why I left android in the first place and unfortunately even the Google flagship phone let me down. I will keep it and work through these issues, but it definitely convinced me to consider going back to iOS when the time/price is right. :(

I've had my Moto X for 2 months now and I feel I'm reaching the end of my time with an Android phone. It's a great device and lately I've been really working to customize it and get Android working for me. I think I finally got to that point and am satisfied. But then I realized something yesterday. I did all that customizing. In the end my Moto X is now setup so I can do everything I want to do on my phone. Turns out that happens to be the exact same things I want to do on my iPhone. I went through app by app on my iPhone's first home screen and compared the setup on my X. It takes 5 home screens and 3 docks (with Nova launcher) to essentially replicate what is on just a single home screen on iPhone.

If I just place my apps in the standard grid then I'm just setting up Android like iOS. If I arrange them "the Android way" across many screens it feels like I'm constantly flipping around to get to apps instead of enjoying and actually using my phone.

So I've been wondering all day why I don't just use my iPhone 5.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the iMore Forum Android app.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Moto X for 2 months now and I feel I'm reaching the end of my time with an Android phone. It's a great device and lately I've been really working to customize it and get Android working for me. I think I finally got to that point and am satisfied. But then I realized something yesterday. I did all that customizing. In the end my Moto X is now setup so I can do everything I want to do on my phone. Turns out that happens to be the exact same things I want to do on my iPhone. I went through app by app on my iPhone's first home screen and compared the setup on my X. It takes 5 home screens and 3 docks (with Nova launcher) to essentially replicate what is on just a single home screen on iPhone.

If I just place my apps in the standard grid then I'm just setting up Android like iOS. If I arrange them "the Android way" across many screens it feels like I'm constantly flipping around to get to apps instead of enjoying and actually using my phone.

So I've been wondering all day why I don't just use my iPhone 5.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the iMore Forum Android app.

That is why I came back to iOS! I realized that all the customizing I did was to make my X (or any Android) perform like an iphone!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
That is why I came back to iOS! I realized that all the customizing I did was to make my X (or any Android) perform like an iphone!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

I just realized that after I used iOS for so long that I didn't customize my android phones anymore so I switched back. Plus I got tired of the battery life and huge screens.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ended up getting rid of the white 32gb 5 and getting a black 32gb 5 that was in better condition. Checked the serial number out on the apple support page and I'm still covered for repair until 11/3/14. Checked it out on that chipmunk site and this phone was mfg'ed in August of 2013. Me thinks I got a gem that time! :D

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Ended up getting rid of the white 32gb 5 and getting a black 32gb 5 that was in better condition. Checked the serial number out on the apple support page and I'm still covered for repair until 11/3/14. Checked it out on that chipmunk site and this phone was mfg'ed in August of 2013. Me thinks I got a gem that time! :D

Nice catch!

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Man it seems the black shows lint way more than the white. Seems like I'm always wiping this thing off. Lol

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Man it seems the black shows lint way more than the white. Seems like I'm always wiping this thing off. Lol

That does seem to be a disadvantage of having the black model. I like the white, black, and gold. But I like them in different situations. if I'm not going to use a case, I like the white or gold the best. If I'm going to use a case, I would much rather have the black.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That does seem to be a disadvantage of having the black model. I like the white, black, and gold. But I like them in different situations. if I'm not going to use a case, I like the white or gold the best. If I'm going to use a case, I would much rather have the black.

Got the brown Apple leather case on and a Verizon SP. I seem to keep my phones more clean when they're naked. Might ditch the case as I've been thinking about it lately.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Got the brown Apple leather case on and a Verizon SP. I seem to keep my phones more clean when they're naked. Might ditch the case as I've been thinking about it lately.

I had the brown case on my gold iPhone (I now have the space grey) and was disappointed in how quickly it got dirty and I wasn't able to clean it. I had the black Apple case on my space grey iPhone and it was easily one of the best cases that I had every owned. I now have the Spigen tough armour case and I like it. No issues thus far.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the brown case on my gold iPhone (I now have the space grey) and was disappointed in how quickly it got dirty and I wasn't able to clean it. I had the black Apple case on my space grey iPhone and it was easily one of the best cases that I had every owned. I now have the Spigen tough armour case and I like it. No issues thus far.

I have seriously been considering getting the black Apple case

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If you have the black iPhone then the black leather Apple case is a great choice. I really liked it.

Yeah, I was using the brown on a white 5 but now I've got a black 5 so it might be time to switch

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just stumbled on this thread... The Nexus 5 reference got my attention as that is my current device. Love it, absolutely no problems with it.

I was here in iMore posting about my sons 3gs. It blew itself apart a few minutes ago! Something none of my android devices have never done.....yet! Knock on wood!!! LOL

3abu2amy.jpg

I like both platforms but prefer android simply for the ability to load music without iTunes and for the Bluetooth freedom of android.

Aside from that iOS devices are very nice, just not the platform for me. I have had the 4 and the 5, but keep coming back to android.

They are all great devices, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Just have to go with what you like best!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Just stumbled on this thread... The Nexus 5 reference got my attention as that is my current device. Love it, absolutely no problems with it.

I was here in iMore posting about my sons 3gs. It blew itself apart a few minutes ago! Something none of my android devices have never done.....yet! Knock on wood!!! LOL

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/3abu2amy.jpg

I like both platforms but prefer android simply for the ability to load music without iTunes and for the Bluetooth freedom of android.

Aside from that iOS devices are very nice, just not the platform for me. I have had the 4 and the 5, but keep coming back to android.

They are all great devices, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Just have to go with what you like best!

You don't seriously believe the iPhone "blew itself apart" do you??

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/3abu2amy.jpg

There could possibly have been a problem with the battery which caused it to ...uh, "expand". I had that happen with an old MacBook Pro battery. Glad no one was hurt.