left iOS for Nexus 5....buyers' remorse set in almost immediately

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I was an original G1 owner on Tmobile, then Evo and Evo 3D on Sprint. Got tired of android and decided to switch to iOS and owned a iPhone 4S, and 5. My mom wanted to upgrade so I decided to buy an off contract Nexus 5 and give her my iPhone 5. My first impression of the N5 was initially good, but things went south quickly. I will say the boot times have shrunk significantly, which was one of my major frustrations with the Evo line. I got everything up and running fairly quickly, almost as if I never left. However I did notice the camera was not very snappy, so I checked what version of KitKat i was on. I was running 4.4, which i knew needed an update. I try to run the OTA update with no success, just a failed to download error. WHen I hit retry nothing happened. So i go online to hear this is a fairly common issue, and proceed to push the update using ADB. It went fairly smoothly, but once again I was let down with the requirement of having to push an update rather it just working the way it was supposed to. Meanwhile I also noticed my wifi at home was very sketchy at best, even though my iPhones never had any issues, my N5 was constantly dropping signal. Still havent solved this issue, but followed up on a few leads. Overall, I was reminded why I left android in the first place and unfortunately even the Google flagship phone let me down. I will keep it and work through these issues, but it definitely convinced me to consider going back to iOS when the time/price is right. :(

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It happens... hope you can put up with it until you get a replacement iPhone...

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The EVO 3D was good for about 3 months. I had one. Less than a year in it stopped going to landscape mode. Never had a iPhone do that.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is a good phone...for the money. In fact, it's a great phone...for the money. The iPhone is simply a great phone, no qualifiers needed. Android is a lot more flexible in how they do things and with that flexibility some polish is certainly lost, IMO. Android doesn't "just-work" as well as iOS, IMO, but a lot of my Android Central friends (and former fellow ambassadors) would string me up by my LTE and WiFi if they read my iOS opinions (heck, I had to join iMore under a different username, less they find me...and do things to me...horrible things).

Anywho, yes, once you get used to the simplicity with which iOS "just works" Android can take some getting used to. Don't get me wrong. Android can be a GREAT OS if you put the time into tuning and customizing it (and, that for many of us, is part of the fun). iOS just seems to work.

I kind of look at it simply this way. With iOS the device and OS fades away and the device just sort of "becomes" what you do with it. The hardware never seems to get in the way (or much less so) or makes itself noticeable the way Android and Android devices often will.

There's just so many different Android experiences to be had. Good? Bad? It can depend on a lot of variables. You don't tend to get that with iOS. So, if and when you can, come back to iOS...you're always welcome.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

Last edited:

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd happily use a Nexus 5, but definitely prefer iOS.

Maybe you could find a cheap 5c on the used market? I've seen them selling for reasonable prices on Kijiji in Toronto...

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
One of the iPhone's greatest components is it's ease of use. I was a die hard android user as well. I tries iOS out of pure curiosity and loved it. I never thought I would stick with it this long.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Good luck my brother is a Nexus guy he swears by it

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

A lot of Android users do. But you better not dare mention any of the drawbacks of using Android especially stock Android. They can be very protective about their devices.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I used my 5 for a little over a year then traded for a Note II on Dec 5th which I traded for a Razr HD which I sold and bought a Moto X which I now want to trade for an iPhone 5 or better... The Moto X is an AWESOME phone and I have NO problems but after being on Android for a couple months now it's out of my system and I want to come back to iOS. :(

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I used my 5 for about a year then traded for a Note II on Dec 5th which I traded for a Razr HD which I sold and bought a Moto X which I now want to trade for an iPhone 5 or better... The Moto X is an AWESOME phone and I have NO problems but after being on Android for a couple months now it's out of my system and I want to come back to iOS. :(

Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I just like to try everything and the best way for me to do that and stay married ( :D ) is to get rid of what I currently have to try something else. Haha

I agree. Trying these different mobile devices is just so much fun to me. I hope the S5 doesn't turn out to be something I feel I'm gonna need to have.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Trying these different mobile devices is just so much fun to me. I hope the S5 doesn't turn out to be something I feel I'm gonna need to have.

I think if I just stay off of the internet I'll be good to go!

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Haha! Perfectly understandable! :)

For me it has been such a long time since I was on Android, I figured it was a good time to come back and see how things have improved. Honestly after a few days with it, I must say it is growing on me more. Like I said my main let down was the fact that something that I consider a basic function (OTA update), was broken right out the gate, and the WiFi being squirlly as hell. I believe I figured out the WiFi issue being a problem with the WeMo system, removed them and now WiFi is back to normal. As far the OTA update, I pushed it through ADB but I hope the next one will work as intended. For now I will stay put and depending on what Apple puts out next, I may be back sooner rather than later. By the way, I am not totally disconnected, I kept a 4S running just on wifi in order to stay up to date on iTunes, and manage the rest of my Apple arsenal ;)

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to work my Craigslist magic! Have an offer on my X and he's ready to buy but I gotta find an iPhone.... Lol

Be careful when buying an Apple device from Craigslist. Some people sell stolen devices that are Activation Locked. If you plan on buying from Craigslist make sure that they wipe the phone in front of you.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Be careful when buying an Apple device from Craigslist. Some people sell stolen devices that are Activation Locked. If you plan on buying from Craigslist make sure that they wipe the phone in front of you.

Thanks for the tip! Haven't purchased one since iOS 7 but I've been reading about the activation lock! One reason I wanna come back to iOS!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh