Other Mobile Platforms vs iOS

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Like many of us out there, especially us techies, we use more than 1 mobile platform. I prefer WP as my second platform to iOS.

I like WP for its true flatness, speed, and integration for Microsoft products.

I like iOS for its simple notification center (must have IMO), apps (even though I use very few), and the hardware it is installed on.

Both platforms are consistent and have great battery life.

So if you use another platform besides iOS, what do you use and how does it compare to iOS for you?

I got to snag a Lumia 520 through Amazon for 39 bucks on Friday as another second device.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Like many of us out there, especially us techies, we use more than 1 mobile platform. I prefer WP as my second platform to iOS.

I like WP for its true flatness, speed, and integration for Microsoft products.

I like iOS for its simple notification center (must have IMO), apps (even though I use very few), and the hardware it is installed on.

Both platforms are consistent and have great battery life.

So if you use another platform besides iOS, what do you use and how does it compare to iOS for you?

I got to snag a Lumia 520 through Amazon for 39 bucks on Friday as another second device.

I still think iOS has the best apps overall, and that's what I think the strength of the platform is, the amount of functionality added by these apps are just so insurmountable in the industry right now that I think it's almost impossible to compete with iOS on the app front. In terms of interface design and notifications and things pertaining to actual telephony and some aspects of communications like instant messaging and email, I still feel Blackberry owns on those fronts, but if you are all about maximising your use through apps in an operating system, iOS is the best right now, for me.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If we left the app selection out of the equation and talked strictly about the UI, would anyone prefer another platform?

I think most would , but unfortunately with the sales of iPhones being any indication, it's not what the real world is doing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
If we left the app selection out of the equation and talked strictly about the UI, would anyone prefer another platform?

I like windows phones. Androids are too prone to viruses and SPAM like crazy. Windows phones are extremely nice though. I love the build and software and it would go nicely with my windows 8 laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think most would , but unfortunately with the sales of iPhones being any indication, it's not what the real world is doing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's def great marketing for the amount of apps iOS has, but when we face the facts, most are redundant or not useful in any means.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I would actually go with windows phone. The home screen with live tiles would be useful to me and the layout is just simple and effortless to use. As for the lock screen I love the layout + how you can place stuff where you want like the music controls.

I have used android also and I find the the layout ok, but I find the sub menus and very confusing at times and some just don't make sense. Customization is a plus though.

iOS is simple to use and the layout is consistent across the system but the only thing you can really change is the wallpaper.

I haven't used blackberry so I don't know what it's like but from what I've seen once you get use to the layout you should be able to use it without much trouble and fits business people nicely.

If I were to rank platforms based on UI alone:

1) windows phone
T2) iOS & android
4) blackberry

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5S (7.0.4) or 5th gen iPod Touch (7.1b2) using Tapatalk

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I use a nexus 7 so android is my second platform. I use Google services a lot and I appreciate their integration with android. That said even running KitKat I see a few bugs here and there that annoy me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The one thing that iOS has that I really wish was in some of the other mobile OSes is the bottom action center that you drag to open with a built-in lantern and toggles for BT and some of the other stuff. Compare this to my Note 3 which as one very awkward unified panel or how it works on an Android tablet with two separate panels on the top. I suppose there's some software mod out there for Android to make it work like that but eh, it just works right on iOS out of the box.

Outside of that, I'm definitely an Android guy. I like it's flexibility and customization options compared to iOS and I like the wider range of devices available overall. That said, if Apple released a stylus-integrated "phablet" style phone, it'd make me give a real hard look versus my Note 3.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that iOS has that I really wish was in some of the other mobile OSes is the bottom action center that you drag to open with a built-in lantern and toggles for BT and some of the other stuff. Compare this to my Note 3 which as one very awkward unified panel or how it works on an Android tablet with two separate panels on the top. I suppose there's some software mod out there for Android to make it work like that but eh, it just works right on iOS out of the box.

Outside of that, I'm definitely an Android guy. I like it's flexibility and customization options compared to iOS and I like the wider range of devices available overall. That said, if Apple released a stylus-integrated "phablet" style phone, it'd make me give a real hard look versus my Note 3.

I could do without control center, but with rumors circulating about WP notification, I would probably be sold immediately.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I would actually go with windows phone. The home screen with live tiles would be useful to me and the layout is just simple and effortless to use. As for the lock screen I love the layout + how you can place stuff where you want like the music controls.

I have used android also and I find the the layout ok, but I find the sub menus and very confusing at times and some just don't make sense. Customization is a plus though.

iOS is simple to use and the layout is consistent across the system but the only thing you can really change is the wallpaper.

I haven't used blackberry so I don't know what it's like but from what I've seen once you get use to the layout you should be able to use it without much trouble and fits business people nicely.

If I were to rank platforms based on UI alone:

1) windows phone
T2) iOS & android
4) blackberry

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5S (7.0.4) or 5th gen iPod Touch (7.1b2) using Tapatalk

Android is surprisingly confusing with all the press and holds and sub menus which differ for each item.

iOS definitely has a win there, but you are right about WP being effortless.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
iOS (iPad mini retina, iPod touch 5th gen) - Likes: The hardware build, cameras, simple elegance of the OS, iCloud, integration with my MacBook Air and Apple TV, and app and content catalog that's second to none with tablet optimized apps. Dislikes: The lack of real customization, limitations within the OS (ie. sharing between apps), no LED.

Android (Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013) - Likes: Cutting edge hardware specs, customizability, visual notification system (LED, icons and pull down shade at the top), Google services. Dislikes: Inconsistent and inelegant design elements in some areas of the OS, stock PIM and email clients feel...basic, lack of tablet optimized apps (makes the Nexus 7 feel like using a big phone sometimes).

BlackBerry (Z10) - Likes: BB10 gesture based user interface, messaging/communications-centric OS, granular control over notifications and alerts. Dislikes: App catalog selection is slim, hardware while not bad is mid-range and not reflective of the price of the devices.

AmandaKess22

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I like the openness that comes with Android. It's cool to really be able to customize your device to your needs without having to jailbreak. That's really iOS' only major drawback IMO.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I like to customize and tinker with everything, but for some reason I also like to stick with all default apps on iOS, not because they are the best option, but because that is how I like it.

I might buy the Moto G or X to just play with android without signing a 2 year deal. I had an Atrix in the past, but Moto Blur really ruined my first experience with Android.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I use to enjoy the custom work I use to be able to do on my webOS devices and still do with my tablet but when it comes to stable daily use you can't beat iOS and the iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I use to enjoy the custom work I use to be able to do on my webOS devices and still do with my tablet but when it comes to stable daily use you can't beat iOS and the iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

I loved my Pre and customizing it, to bad I jumped ship when HP dismantled the company, thanks Leo!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone is special for me, in that I can do pretty much I can do on other phones right now, but there just isn't any real reason to switch and stay on it other than wanting something new to use. It has a good metro user interface and that's about it...

I think in terms of screen sizes and cameras, the Lumia series definitely holds an edge, but iOS does everything else much better because of its more mature ecosystem and operating system.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have used iOS, BB10 and Android extensively and of all of them, I think BB10 is the best, especially for it being so young. Unfortunately, I think BlackBerry waited too long to get in the game and there's no telling what will happen with them. iOS has become stale and boring to me. It's solid and always works but I find it to just be more of the same. The features they roll out (ie, control center) has been available on other platforms for awhile. So I think the iOS UI could stand a major overhaul. Even with all that, I am still using and iPhone because that's what my work supports and it integrates with everything like my smartwatch and fitness band.

I think if BB can continue to improve and start actually aggressive marketing, they may have a shot. Would be nice to have more competition in this space.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of crap phones running Android. My first Android phone was a Samsung Stratosphere and I thought Android was junk because of it! You'll never see iOS on a terribad device and that right there probably brings in plenty of customer loyalty for them. Android is definitely silky smooth on higher end Android devices. Spending more time gaming on my iPod has really made me appreciate the look and feel of iOS though. There are things it does (like weather forecast/stock quotes) where you can see that Apple said, "What kind of info would people WANT to see here" as opposed to Android just pushing out tedious status updates which don't mean much to most people. iOS also has AMAZING apps out of the box (same is true for OS X. Why install anything else when you get your device preloaded with tons of good software?)

But I wouldn't just buy an extra phone to have something to play around on Android with. The Nexus 7 (2012) or some of the N7 clones that were released this year still runs Android like a champ. No need to invest hundreds of dollars in an extra device. There are good Android machines for under $200 that can still run most new apps.

heyjohnnybravo

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Android 4.3/4.4 are tied with BB10 for me as personal favorites for me at the moment.

iOS is a close third but noticeably farther away than the other two.

Posted via the Android iMore App!