Get an 8 or whatever the next one after it is or XS (small).

Michel Keen

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
Ok, I have an iphone 6 right now. I haven't been paying attention to the new iphones for a long time (why make myself jealous when I'm not going to get one. I just can't justify that much money until I need a new phone and honestly Apple hasn't put anything out that really screamed I really want it. Some stuff I was jealous of like waterproof and the full screen). Well, it's finally time that I can justify a new phone (my 6 is starting to have issues, it already broke but my resourceful husband fixed it but now it's acting weird about battery but I don't think the problem is the battery. Add in they are not going to support it for iOS13 and I've managed to keep it 5 years and I think I'm due for an upgrade. Just glad my 6 has lasted me this long with no problems... just hte usual slow down as it got older and really it's only now starting to be a little annoying about being slow.

Anyways... I've always liked the full screen phones. But I don't want anything bigger than my 6 (seriously, my 6 is a little bigger than I like honestly but it's tolerable). I'm a small female and we get small pockets and I want the phone to be easily pocketable.

I'm eying the XS small version and getting over the it's way way way more expensive than I want (but if I'm giong to buy a new phone I want it to last another 5 years so might as well get what I want).

Things I'm hesitant about is I much prefer fingerprint ID (I was holding out until they had one that had fingerprint ID but it looks like that's not happening anytime soon). I just read on some other thread the XS's have worse reception (would I notice this coming from a 6?) Is that true? Also, the XS is still slightly bigger than my 6 (grumble... I was kinda hoping last year the rumor about an SE with full screen was true but it seems from what I've seen that isn't coming to be either).

And I'm kinda hesitant about OLED screens (seems LED is more reliable... no burn in, no mura effect, I'm reading some people saying the OLEDs on apples give eye strain/headache?). Sure it might be nicer but honestly I don't think I'd care as long as I'm not looking at it side to side with an LED (I know on my Vita I'd give the OLED up in a heartbeat for the standard plug the newer Vita has. Sure, it looks better but I've seen them side to side, I'd easily get over it).

To be honest though I really don't want to go to yet another phone that looks like mine and has nothing really standing out about it other than faster (which I admit would be nice to have a faster phone).

So, am I making the right choice by going to an XS or should I get over that it won't feel like much of an upgrade and get an 8 (and to be honest I'd probably still get an XS but it's good to hear opinions on it even if I already strongly feel one way).

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have an 8 Plus, which I love. My husband has an 8 through his job, and it's great too. So clearly, I'm a fan of the 8. That said, it's a year older than the XS. And so if I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with the XS, unless you can wait until September to include the next crop of iPhones coming out. There are so many rumors... some more accurate than others. I'm sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think you will LOVE the XS. And as for FaceID, it's incredible, no other phone's face detection works as well! You will quickly learn the gestures, and learn to love those also.

IF you are looking to save a few dollars you might consider the iPhone X. Apple has certified refurbished ones at a discount AND they do offer interest free financing for up to 18 months.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone/iphone-x#mn_p

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think I'd like face ID either or being completely gesture based. Well, I was wrong. Now that I have face ID I absolutely hate having to use the fingerprint reader on my iPad.

For me, face ID is fast and reliable. I've never had it fail, even lying in the bed at night. If I have it sitting on a table, as I do when I have lunch at work, I have to lean over slightly for it to see my face. That is the most "inconvenience" I've had.

I have the smaller Xs by the way and it is just the right size for me. It's big enough to enjoy the screen real estate but still easy to put in a pocket and fit in a small handbag.

Also love the Oled screen and don't have any "burn in."

I say you'll love either the older X or the Xs.

You could wait until the new phones come out in September and the price drops on the Xs too.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I had a 8 + and hesitated about getting a XS Max, mostly for the face id and gestures. Now I love face id, it so great that I don't even notice it. It's like my phone isn't locked at all. And it's gestures, it's awsome. If I where you I would get the XS or the XR

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My suggestion would be to buy the Xr. You'll still have an LED phone and save a couple of hundred dollars over an XS -- and may be able to find a good sale that makes it even cheaper.

As others have said, you'll likely learn to love FaceID fairly quickly, it is amazing.

The advantage to the Xr is the screen will be similar to you 8, an OLED with similar resolution, but will likely look even better (better colors) and it is still an LED.

The biggest issue is you'll lose the second back camera, if the camera is important to you. If you check out the Xr forum, you'll find most there absolutely love their phones. Just a matter of if you want the more "premium" build (extra camera, steel instead of aluminum) or want to save the extra money -- though the "build" on the Xr is closer to what you are used to, just adding FaceID.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
My son has a XR and loves it thinks it's a perfect size if it was me I would try to hold off till September now that rumor has it the next XR will get a improved camera and other improvements , that being said the current XR would last you for years at a cheaper price .

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My son has a XR and loves it thinks it's a perfect size if it was me I would try to hold off till September now that rumor has it the next XR will get a improved camera and other improvements , that being said the current XR would last you for years at a cheaper price .

This is good advice and very true.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234