Compared to my X, the pics on my XS seem very washed out. I use both devices daily, so I notice a difference every time I take a photo. I shouldn’t have to use a filter to get the color in my pics to look correct. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just being picky?

X:

XS:
    11-05-2018 07:15 PM
    The photo taken with the iPhone XS is brighter and appears to be better in low-light conditions.
    11-05-2018 07:58 PM
    The photo taken with the iPhone XS is brighter and appears to be better in low-light conditions.
    Agreed
    11-05-2018 08:07 PM
    I feel it!!! It brightens everything though & drives me nuts. I can’t send realistic wine pics because it distorts the pic. You can’t tell is something is a Merlot, Pinot, or Malbec because the color is off. I guess for me, brighter doesn’t mean better.
    kataran likes this.
    11-05-2018 08:30 PM
    The X pic looks more realistic in my opinion
    nikkisharif and Annie_8plus like this.
    11-05-2018 08:59 PM
    Agreed.
    kataran likes this.
    11-05-2018 09:14 PM
    I don't think you're being picky at all, the difference is there. In some cases, this "effect" might not be so bad but this time it is. The X is much more realistic.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-05-2018 10:27 PM
    I don't think you're being picky at all, the difference is there. In some cases, this "effect" might not be so bad but this time it is. The X is much more realistic.
    So true!! Now that I know it what I’m working with, I’ll use my X when I need a more realistic looking pic in low light.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-05-2018 10:32 PM
    It’s because Smart HDR is removing the shadows. I turned it off on mine.
    Just_Me_D and nikkisharif like this.
    11-06-2018 01:32 AM
    I feel it!!! It brightens everything though & drives me nuts. I can’t send realistic wine pics because it distorts the pic. You can’t tell is something is a Merlot, Pinot, or Malbec because the color is off. I guess for me, brighter doesn’t mean better.
    Have you tried turning off the HDR option as mentioned by the previous member to see if that makes a difference?
    11-06-2018 07:30 AM
    No doubt about it!
    11-06-2018 07:31 AM
    It’s because Smart HDR is removing the shadows. I turned it off on mine.
    Have you tried turning off the HDR option as mentioned by the previous member to see if that makes a difference?
    Thanks...I’ll have to try this & see if it makes a difference. Apple must have changed the settings slightly with Auto HDR & Smart HDR, even though they have the same description. Auto HDR is turned on for my X, so I just left it on for the XS. I’ll report back with my findings.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-06-2018 07:48 AM
    Thanks...I’ll have to try this & see if it makes a difference. Apple must have changed the settings slightly with Auto HDR & Smart HDR, even though they have the same description. Auto HDR is turned on for my X, so I just left it on for the XS. I’ll report back with my findings.
    I could be wrong but I think Auto HDR only comes on when needed and Smart HDR is on all the time. One uses three images and one uses nine images. Even if you turn Smart HDR off HDR is available in the camera settings and I *think* still works like Auto HDR. I’m still playing around with it but as someone who wields fancy cameras and lenses I know I do NOT like the look of Smart HDR for regular photos.
    I found this explanation for the difference between the two. Hope it helps.
    https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=oEvG19VS
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-06-2018 08:24 AM
    Just tested it & it still distorts the color. No flash on either pic. I’ll just have to get use to it & use my X when color is crucial.

X:

XS:
    libra89 and Just_Me_D like this.
    11-06-2018 08:44 AM
    Just tested it & it still distorts the color. No flash on either pic. I’ll just have to get use to it & use my X when color is crucial.

X:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...56662831ca.jpg

XS:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f1fa78ca7a.jpg
    Wow that's really noticeable. I think that's the best plan, but it's sad that you have to do this with a phone that starts at $999 base price. Something about that doesn't sound right
    nikkisharif and tadpoles like this.
    11-06-2018 09:33 AM
    Wow that's really noticeable. I think that's the best plan, but it's sad that you have to do this with a phone that starts at $999 base price. Something about that doesn't sound right
    I totally agree! I might take it to Apple & talk to them about the camera settings. There has to be a way. I just can’t believe all these people are walking around with this device and it distorts colors like this.
    libra89 and Annie_8plus like this.
    11-06-2018 09:49 AM
    I totally agree! I might take it to Apple & talk to them about the camera settings. There has to be a way. I just can’t believe all these people are walking around with this device and it distorts colors like this.
    I am certain that your Apple Store has employees that teach Apple's photography "Today At Apple" classes. Perhaps you could connect with one of them and have them compare your phones and offer some sort of solution to your issues.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-06-2018 12:02 PM
    I am certain that your Apple Store has employees that teach Apple's photography "Today At Apple" classes. Perhaps you could connect with one of them and have them compare your phones and offer some sort of solution to your issues.
    I might do that...it’s just hard finding time.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    11-06-2018 07:12 PM
    I might do that...it’s just hard finding time.
    What exactly is the change from the X to the Xs camera I didn’t pay enough attention during the keynote
    11-06-2018 07:24 PM
    What exactly is the change from the X to the Xs camera I didn’t pay enough attention during the keynote
    I didn’t pay attention either because I knew I didn’t want it LOL. All I know is my pics don’t look very realistic.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-06-2018 10:08 PM
    HDR on iPhone is still a far cry from what high-powered cameras can do, but it’s already good enough to improve your beach selfie. Enjoy!
    Well, no crap. There is no way that an iPhone camera is going to compare to a standalone pro-level camera costing $1K+ on its own.
    11-07-2018 04:00 PM