Should I wait to get the new iPhone?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
So I have two more payments on my iPhone 7 Plus iPhone Upgrade Program. I decided to keep my iPhone 7 Plus when I saw the iPhone 8 because well, I just didn't see the point.

If I trade in my current iPhone 7 Plus (which is still under the upgrade program) do I get the trade-in value of it ($285) to put towards the cost of the new phone? Or should I just wait until my current phone is completely paid off and then do the upgrade?

If I decide to wait until I've completely paid it off and I use the trade-in value of my current iPhone 7 Plus to put towards the cost of the new iPhone how does that change my monthly payment cost? There's a lot of math involved here but I think I got it.

iPhone Xs cost: $1000
Apple Care Cost: $300
Total Cost: $1300
iPhone 7 Plus Trade-In Value: $285

OK, so with that being said... here's where I think how the math works.

Total Cost of iPhone after trade-in value: $1,015.00
Monthly Cost (23 Months): $44.13

Am I right in thinking this?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong, but pretty sure if the iphone isn't paid off, any "trade in value" would go towards paying off the 7, they wouldn't just wipe out those payments.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you have only two more payments isn’t the phone yours to own once paid off? If that’s the case I’d rather sell the 7 Plus and get more money than some trade-in and just use that money towards the purchase of a new phone.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
upgrade program is different from a trade-in program. Worth reading their fine print to understand how. Recommend asking Apple support directly to ensure you get the right details to inform your decision

Last edited:

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade program, you turn in your phone that’s not paid off, that loan gets zeroed out. Then a new loan is signed for the new phone. Your new payment is based on new model phone, with AC and new 24 month loan.

I believe trade in, gives you a refund of the value of the trade in. You’ll have to pay the new phone in full.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
2 more payments on the current device? That's a no brainer. Pay it off. Wait for the new devices to launch and see what issues (if any) arise. Then sell your current device and buy a new one if you decide to do that.

Me personally, I'm holding onto my 7 Plus a bit longer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711