Can you help me decide between the iPhone XS and XS Max?

Nepaiphone

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Help me decide between the Xs or Xs Max....currently have an 8plus and perfectly happy with the screen size. Will the Xs which has basically the same size screen e a downgrade or should I go with the Plus and swallow the cost? Help me out here I only have till 3am to decide

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help me decide-Torn

The iPhone XS is the same size as the current iPhone X, however, the overall size the iPhone 8 Plus is larger. With that in mind, which is more important to you. Screen dimensions or overall size of the device?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

The screen size of the X is still smaller than the that of the Plus. It’s narrower.

I much prefer the Plus and if I was ordering I’d get the Max because it’s pretty much the footprint of the Plus only edge-to-edge in screen. That’s just me though.

Nepaiphone

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site

Im just having a hard time swallowing that price pill. I have the 256 8plus, i can go max and just 64gb for roughly the same monthly cost

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Coming from a 6s+ to the X was a little jarring at first. The screen is larger but it seems smaller because the extra size is vertical. This basically means typing is a little cramped to begin with. You get used to it though pretty quickly. Also videos are smaller because they get letterboxed on the sides instead of filling the whole screen like they do on a +. It’s just part of the screen ratio difference. Because of that and the fact that the screen isn’t as wide horizontally, you’ll notice this a lot at first. Yeah you can fill the whole screen which is cool but you’ll lose some of the image. With all that said, I do love this phone and nothing that was announced makes me want to upgrade. I’ll check out the XS Max just to see how it feels but I’ll hold off till next year. Good luck on your decision. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with an XS but just be prepared for the adjustments you’ll have to make.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I find the X to be the perfect size device not too big and not too small. Feels great in the hand for both calls and texting.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Thanks all, I went XS Max 256, they say go big or go home don’t they?

Yep they do! Glad you made your decision and I know you’ll enjoy it!
I decided to go smaller this time from the 8Plus to the Xs. Hoping I don’t regret it!!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks all, I went XS Max 256, they say go big or go home don’t they?

Glad you went with what you thought was best for your needs, I told a friend last night who was on the fence between the XS and the Max version and he went all in and got the 512 version.

michial

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site

I’m upgrading my silver 8 plus for a space gray Xs. The battery and screen are very very close and yet the form is smaller and lighter than the plus, a perfect combo imo. I was happy with the 5.5 screen, the 5.8 of the Xs is more than enough. I don’t want 6.5 as I’m tired of the current plus dimensions. I have an iPad if I want bigger. But to each their own. Both the Xs and Max are great phones.

Nepaiphone

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site

I was going to go Xs all the way up until order time, I remote into servers using the vmware app. The little larger screen real estate will help, if they did make it apple watch compatible I very may well have gone Xs.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

The iphone Xs Max was interesting but honestly the price point is too much for me. But I am happy for anyone that went all out this year. I just think a 6.5 inch screen is a bit to big for a cell phone (and I am someone that loved the plus models). With the iphone XS Max it feels like I would be carrying a Nintendo Switch around in my pocket lol.

wetermommy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

Yep they do! Glad you made your decision and I know you’ll enjoy it!
I decided to go smaller this time from the 8Plus to the Xs. Hoping I don’t regret it!!

I preordered the xs and coming from 7+ my hands are small but love the big screen. Hoping I made the right choice lol

michial

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
The XS has nearly the same size screen as the Plus models but a more manageable size. I hear from reviews the Max is more unwieldy than the Plus making reachability a must.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site

The iphone Xs Max was interesting but honestly the price point is too much for me. But I am happy for anyone that went all out this year. I just think a 6.5 inch screen is a bit to big for a cell phone (and I am someone that loved the plus models). With the iphone XS Max it feels like I would be carrying a Nintendo Switch around in my pocket lol.

The phone itself is about the same size as the Plus models and would probably feel the same in your pocket.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
If this helps anyone, I’ve upgraded from the X to the XS Max and tbh I’m finding it a little hard getting used to this screen size. Don’t get me wrong, I love the display and the media consumption is second to none but after holding the device for more than 10-15 minutes my fingers / hands start to cramp a little. And it’s not that I have small hands (6’2) but I think the X/XS are the perfect form factor for pocketing and holding the device for longer periods of time.

Cheers