Can you help me decide between the iPhone XS and XS Max?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I always gage this decision on what type of typer are you. One hand/thumb typer would probably fair better with a smaller screen size. I happen to be a two thumb typer and I love the extra real estate the MAX provides. Of course this is just my opinion, but this is what works for me.

Nepaiphone

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Xs Max since Friday AM. Love the size and actually feels better in my hand than the 8 + I came from. I thought i would miss my home button and hate face ID but don’t. My wife who wasn’t interested in a new phone loved it as well and I ran out and got her an Xs in Gold yesterday.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Xs Max since Friday AM. Love the size and actually feels better in my hand than the 8 + I came from. I thought i would miss my home button and hate face ID but don’t. My wife who wasn’t interested in a new phone loved it as well and I ran out and got her an Xs in Gold yesterday.

You are a good man.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

That’s very nice of you. She’s going to love it!

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought I wanted the Max. No... I KNEW I wanted the Max. I skipped the X and waited a year for it, only to finally get one in my hands and find it a bit unwieldy. While the screen is a bit narrower than my 7 Plus, I'm finding that the 5.8" Xs works well for me while fitting in my pocket easier!

hawkyou

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Re: Help me decide-Torn

The screen size of the X is still smaller than the that of the Plus. It’s narrower.

I much prefer the Plus and if I was ordering I’d get the Max because it’s pretty much the footprint of the Plus only edge-to-edge in screen. That’s just me though.

Overall the X and Xs screen is bigger than the plus.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Doesn’t matter where it’s at. Overall the screen is bigger on the X.

Actually, in terms of screen area, the Plus screens are slightly larger than the X (the Plus screen is 69 x 122mm; and the X is 62 x 135mm) -- particularly after you take out the space covered by the notch. It isn't a huge difference; though the X having the 19.5:9 ratio makes the X seem much smaller when watching video.

hawkyou

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site

Actually, in terms of screen area, the Plus screens are slightly larger than the X (the Plus screen is 69 x 122mm; and the X is 62 x 135mm) -- particularly after you take out the space covered by the notch. It isn't a huge difference; though the X having the 19.5:9 ratio makes the X seem much smaller when watching video.

The iPhone X actually features Apple's biggest phone display until the Max came out, measuring 5.8 inches on the diagonal, which is even bigger than the display on Apple's largest iPhone, the iPhone 8 Plus, which measures 5.5 inches. I guess Apple needs to stop advertising this if it’s not correct.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The iPhone X actually features Apple's biggest phone display until the Max came out, measuring 5.8 inches on the diagonal, which is even bigger than the display on Apple's largest iPhone, the iPhone 8 Plus, which measures 5.5 inches. I guess Apple needs to stop advertising this if it’s not correct.

It's playing with words, in many ways. Yes, the X has the largest diagonal measurement (as well as being the tallest) -- which allows them to say it is the "largest screen ever," particularly since the diagonal measure is what is typically used to state phone's "screen size." The issue is, because of the difference in screen ratio (19.5:9 on the X/XS vs the 16:9) using the diagonal measurement does not give an accurate representation of the actual size of the screen. Again, going by screen area, the X screen is slightly smaller than the Plus phones.

You could say it is a "dirty little secret" of the phone industry as most other manufacturers are doing the same thing a 19:9 aspect ratio, without noting that the screens physically aren't really any larger, just taller, than their older phones with a 16:9 (or similar) ratio.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73