Finally...iPhone 12?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
How many of you have held onto your iPhone XS Pro all this time...

...but will finally be upgrading to the iPhone 12 when it hits your local carrier store?

How many will not be?

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Still using 8+.

Highly disappointed that it still has a lightning port instead of USB C.

I’m on a new iPhone strike until they replace lightning with USB C.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Op, I still carry my iPhone XS Max with my 11 pro max and am not planning to upgrade to the 12 pro max or 12 mini.

Still using 8+.

That iPhone strike is going to last a long time. With the new magnetized MagSafe chargers, I suspect apple is going to drop The lighting port completely before replacing it with usb c.

It’s a shame, Personally I’m getting tired of carrying three different cables when traveling; lightning for iPhones and AirPods, Usb-c for iPad Pro, and the Apple Watch magnetic charging cable. But don’t think that is going to stop me from picking up any new apple gear.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Still using 8+.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. I personally like the lightning port better and I don't have to figure out if it's the right way or not like with the USB C.

I really haven't made up my mind concerning the iPhone 12 Pro Max. I was really hoping that the notch would be smaller or non existing. Might just stick with my 11 Pro Max for another year.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I personally like the lightning port better and I don't have to figure out if it's the right way or not like with the USB C.

I really haven't made up my mind concerning the iPhone 12 Pro Max. I was really hoping that the notch would be smaller or non existing. Might just stick with my 11 Pro Max for another year.

Not sure why people don’t like the lightening Port on the iPhone. The cord fits in either way and is secure enough to hang your device from it. One member noted that there’s to many cords to carry so I can see that as a hindrance but other than that I love it

I’m also planning on keeping my 11 Pro Max for another year. Hopefully the i13 will have a higher refresh rate and a smaller notch

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Both ends of a USB C cable are the same, so not only does it not matter which end is up, it also doesn’t matter which end of the cable you use. Besides there are several lightning cables in our home that work in only one direction because the exposed contacts are not functioning.

It would be nice to just unplug iPad Pro and plug in iPhone without reaching down and swapping power adapters and cables. Same cable and brick.

At least they now have USB C to Lightning cable.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using an 8+, but will be upgrading to a 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max around the holidays.

Self & wife still solidly 8+..... Will only do a battery change, if & when needed!! And the improvements in iOS14 make an 'old friend' new again anyhow!! The USB C issue a bit moot for us as charging is mostly QI

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I’ll stick with the XS for the next couple of years. I like the Lightning plug and have not yet had one wear out before the cable !

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I might as well chime in. Lately...or at least since I bought my XS Max, Apple hasn’t given me any real reason to give them another $1000 of my hard earned dollars for a new model iPhone...pure & simple. They do what Apple has always done...done just enough to make their minions work up a lather. I’m not a huge photographer, so the new “spider eye” cameras don’t entice me. The 12 has a new squared off body shape, higher grade retina screen, and only a few other upgrades that are barely noticeable.

My XS Max is doing great. Yes, the battery has worn a bit where I have to plug in at work close to the end of the day to last on the commute home...but that’s not a huge deal. With iOS14, it’s given me a few new things to play with, and it still runs as fast & smooth as it did on day one. And if it doesn’t , I’m too old to tell anyway.

Nope, I’ll wait for the iP13 or so. Maybe they’ll lose the notch and give a bigger capacity battery. That might do the trick for me. :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I might as well chime in. Lately...or at least since I bought my XS Max, Apple hasn’t given me any real reason to give them another $1000 of my hard earned dollars for a new model iPhone...pure & simple. They do what Apple has always done...done just enough to make their minions work up a lather. I’m not a huge photographer, so the new “spider eye” cameras don’t entice me. The 12 has a new squared off body shape, higher grade retina screen, and only a few other upgrades that are barely noticeable.

My XS Max is doing great. Yes, the battery has worn a bit where I have to plug in at work close to the end of the day to last on the commute home...but that’s not a huge deal. With iOS14, it’s given me a few new things to play with, and it still runs as fast & smooth as it did on day one. And if it doesn’t , I’m too old to tell anyway.

Nope, I’ll wait for the iP13 or so. Maybe they’ll lose the notch and give a bigger capacity battery. That might do the trick for me. :)

I feel the same way. I was really hoping the notch would be smaller or removed all together. Honestly I'm a little disappointed.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the XS Max physical design out of the case but 12 PM in the Apple cases.

YMMV on features and benefits but even with some bugs like most new phones and OS releases, the 12 PM has significant advantages. I'll qualify that with my use. I'm an IT director and big fan of photography. With 5G rollout the new phone has cellular coverage in places that used to fail. In some places the cellular performance is well worth it. The cameras have it all over my XS Max with range and ability in low light. Audio playback quality from built in speakers is noticeably better. Battery life is superb for my power user scenario.

None of this takes away my truly loving the XS Max but with that and the 12 PM - the many comparisons done with both - don't kid yourself thinking there's barely a difference. The best way to look at the specific differences and decide if those are diminishing returns for your particular use and budget.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way. I was really hoping the notch would be smaller or removed all together. Honestly I'm a little disappointed.

I'm still in my dinosaurian way very happy
with my 8Plus mainly in that the 'Touch ID' works well and many 'local' apps ie banking are as yet to support Face ID so it would be password only entry. My battery is at 96% and sound quality / screen quality are non-issues as the limiting factors there are my own 68 year old eyes & ears. The phone is as quick as ever and with 256 Gb + iCloud, storage isn't an issue at all. The only thing I really envy with the new phones is the sharp edged body reminiscent of my first iPhone, but I'd use a case notwithstanding thus cover the nice body anyhow.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yup, I caved. I'm a proud owner of a iPhone 12 Pro Max 256gb in Pacific Blue.
1d88b40329033e02656d1eece8a0da1f.jpg

e1c7935f239298e4617250a6aaa6bb27.jpg

Yeah I know, lighting wasn't that good and really doesn't show the beauty of the Pacific Blue color.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Mine arrived yesterday around 5:30. After running out for a bite to eat, I spent the rest of the evening getting it up and running! I love it!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2