Upgrade?

Nikizzz

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
Hey Guys!

I recently just upgraded from the iPhone x to the iPhone xs max and I know people will be saying you should of waited the new iPhone is right around the corner but honestly I didn't care because this phone is way too good! its like having a mini computer in your pocket!

I'm just curious if anyone here is actually going to upgrade this phone this year or wait til next because I see no reason to upgrade for another 2-3 years

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys!

I recently just upgraded from the iPhone x to the iPhone xs max and I know people will be saying you should of waited the new iPhone is right around the corner but honestly I didn't care because this phone is way too good! its like having a mini computer in your pocket!

I'm just curious if anyone here is actually going to upgrade this phone this year or wait til next because I see no reason to upgrade for another 2-3 years

Don’t worry about what others may think of your purchase because it’s your money and your decision. With that being said, I’m glad you’re liking your new iPhone XS Max. It really is an awesome device. As for your question, I really haven’t given much thought to upgrading. Seriously, I still enjoy using my iPhone X.

If I like what the next iPhone offers then I’ll consider getting it, but if I don’t, I’ll continue using my iPhone X.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I upgraded from the X to the XS Max in March and I love my phone! The gold color had to grow on me (T-Mobile was sold out of 256gb Silver within 50 miles so I settled on gold). I’m keeping my XS Max until next year. The only way I would upgrade this year, is if Apple added the Qualcomm modem back in iPhones.

I have increasingly been dealing with dropped calls on a regular basis and it’s so frustrating so I can’t wait until Qualcomm is back in iPhones.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my iPhone Xs Max on release day and have been totally happy. I will be keeping it for a minimum of two years (total), and maybe a third year.
Not sure about the "Qualcomm modem" mentioned by @staceymj86 concerning dropped calls as I'm with Verizon and don't have that particular or any problem.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Each to their own, but i wouldn't buy a new Max now if full retail price, used or at a good discount new ok. In 5 weeks when new one hits they will drop, and if going to pay retail may as well wait for the new one.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I purchased my iPhone Xs Max on release day and have been totally happy. I will be keeping it for a minimum of two years (total), and maybe a third year.
Not sure about the "Qualcomm modem" mentioned by @staceymj86 concerning dropped calls as I'm with Verizon and don't have that particular or any problem.

It is definitely noticeable on my XS Max. I am considering switching to Verizon, but of course I would need a new phone, so I made the decision to buy next year’s iPhone unlocked, so that I can buy a prepaid Verizon SIM card to test out the service, and if I don’t like it, I can just pop my T-Mobile SIM card and be on my way.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys!

Welcome to iMore

Enjoy your new device it was a great choice

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what others think or do! Many people here prefer getting a new phone every year, while others prefer to keep their phone for 2-3 years. Each person has different views on this. What matters most is what you think or want to do. Bottom line, you got a great phone, and don't second guess yourself.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what others think or do! Many people here prefer getting a new phone every year, while others prefer to keep their phone for 2-3 years. Each person has different views on this. What matters most is what you think or want to do. Bottom line, you got a great phone, and don't second guess yourself.

Exactly. I had my 5s for 22 months and my 7Plus for 24 months. I know someone that still uses their 6sPlus as their Daily Driver and totally happy with it. One thing for sure Apple makes a smartphone that will last if taken care of properly. It really doesn't matter when you purchase it as long as your happy with your purchase. There will always be a new and improved, latest and greatest so just don't worry about what people think. DO YOU.

TechTs

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I love my max! I have the gold version (which is covered by my case). I use apples smart battery case in pink sand and I honestly can say I’ve never had a better setup. I used to love getting new cases but not anymore. This is perfection!

I don’t know if I’ll upgrade this round because of how thrilled I am with this phone. Plus with all the talk about major stuff being next year I’m like... yeah. I’m more excited about iOS 13 TBH

paraskhosla1600

May 15, 2019
Visit site
There is actually no point of upgrading this year. Our phones be it xs max or s 10 plus etc are more than capable phones for atleast a year or 2.

I have a max for my wife and personally I use xr 128gb,ipad pro 11 inch and a 10 plus.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
There is actually no point of upgrading this year. Our phones be it xs max or s 10 plus etc are more than capable phones for atleast a year or 2.

I have a max for my wife and personally I use xr 128gb,ipad pro 11 inch and a 10 plus.

This is 100% your opinion. Everyone is entitled to one.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
XS Max is great and will last for a few years for sure. Only thing I see is if you could have held off til the the newest launch in September you could have gotten that XS Max for lesser amount. Regardless, enjoy your new phone!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. I had my 5s for 22 months and my 7Plus for 24 months. I know someone that still uses their 6sPlus as their Daily Driver and totally happy with it. One thing for sure Apple makes a smartphone that will last if taken care of properly. It really doesn't matter when you purchase it as long as your happy with your purchase. There will always be a new and improved, latest and greatest so just don't worry about what people think. DO YOU.

‘Nuf said....

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy your new phone. Mine (XS Max) has been great. Same for the others where I work.

I ordered mine on pre-release day. We have some newer ones in the c suite. I don't see any reliability or performance issues. Some execs who switched from US Cellular to Verizon realized their phones are fine.

I'm not itching for a new phone. It would need to be something like an older one die in the family or an amazing capability relative to what I have now.

As an enterprise IT admin I deal with lots. Because of the scale and demanding users I see all the top tier phones in past 1-3 years on good networks are good products.

5G build out and phone models probably 1-2 years away will interest me the most unless as said, the new one has some features that grab me.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the X to the XS Max in March and I love my phone! The gold color had to grow on me (T-Mobile was sold out of 256gb Silver within 50 miles so I settled on gold). I’m keeping my XS Max until next year. The only way I would upgrade this year, is if Apple added the Qualcomm modem back in iPhones.

I have increasingly been dealing with dropped calls on a regular basis and it’s so frustrating so I can’t wait until Qualcomm is back in iPhones.

I don't buy the Intel modems as the problem some people say they are. With all the people making VPN connections to our company sites the only pattern that shows up for reliability is carrier. A bunch of phones where people whined about chipset maker and modem just got moved from US Cellular to all company phones Verizon again. That was near instant change for people who thought they had bad phones realizing it was the carrier.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I don't buy the Intel modems as the problem some people say they are. With all the people making VPN connections to our company sites the only pattern that shows up for reliability is carrier. A bunch of phones where people whined about chipset maker and modem just got moved from US Cellular to all company phones Verizon again. That was near instant change for people who thought they had bad phones realizing it was the carrier.

I know it’s my phone because my 7+ works perfectly on T-Mobile. I am considering switching to Verizon for next year’s iPhone release. I’ll be buying unlocked to test out on Verizon’s network, and if it don’t work out, I can always pop my T-Mobile SIM card back on.

Last edited:

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my Gold XS Max last October, upgraded from a 6S Plus that I had for over 3 years. I won’t upgrade again until next year. I’m with Verizon so I haven’t had any issues with connectivity.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Look at the preorder threads from last year. Those of us crazy ones, obsessively tracking our shipments, are probably the same ones doing it again this year.

See ya guys and gals there! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal