Does anyone know if there's a rugged case for the iPhone Xs Max that can be used when the phone that already has the Apple Silicone case on? I'd need the 'rugged' protection only once a week (hiking) but don't want to use it all the time, nor switch between the cases every time again...

My feeling is that something like this doesn't even exist, but thought it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks,
    Dirk
    06-15-2019 06:20 PM
    Welcome to iMore. In my 10+ years doing this, I can't say that I've seen anything like that, but anything is possible. It may exist, but I have never had a need for such a case so that might be the reason I've never seen it. Maybe some else has and hopefully will chime in. Feel free to join in on the many threads on iMore. ENJOY.
    06-15-2019 06:32 PM
    Does anyone know if there's a rugged case for the iPhone Xs Max that can be used when the phone that already has the Apple Silicone case on? I'd need the 'rugged' protection only once a week (hiking) but don't want to use it all the time, nor switch between the cases every time again...

My feeling is that something like this doesn't even exist, but thought it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks,
    Dirk
    Why not simply obtain an Otterbox, and remove the silicone case, when using the Otterbox?

Maybe I need to understand better the need to keep the silicone on, while having the likes of another case on the device (besides double protection)...
    06-16-2019 08:22 AM
    Why not simply obtain an Otterbox, and remove the silicone case, when using the Otterbox?
    I just feel that by constantly switching between the two cases (remove silicon, install Otterbox, remove Otterbox, install silicon) the chances increase that my iPhone gets scratched / scuffed up during the process, and this would get completely eliminated if I'd be able to just leave the silicone on.

I guess I'm just being too anal about this, but if such a case existed I'd certainly love to have it.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    06-16-2019 12:16 PM
    My personal opinion is that the switching of case will not affect the device.

Here’s hoping some other members can chime in. I switches cases (Apple leather to others) and no scratches or marks.

Try it; maybe do it while you’re at home or over the bed, or with cloth underneath as you do it.
    06-16-2019 12:38 PM
    I just feel that by constantly switching between the two cases (remove silicon, install Otterbox, remove Otterbox, install silicon) the chances increase that my iPhone gets scratched / scuffed up during the process, and this would get completely eliminated if I'd be able to just leave the silicone on.

I guess I'm just being too anal about this, but if such a case existed I'd certainly love to have it.
    If we are talking OtterBox defenders, I stopped using those a couple of years ago. The hard shell always scratched the bezels of my phones. Every single time. Not sure if they have improved now but a case that damages my phone is not acceptable.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-16-2019 01:11 PM
    At times I put my phone inside of a little inexpensive but effective dry bag, and since the early iPods I've made sleeve cases from old socks. Putting a manageable case in that has been effective for the action and adventure sports I do.

My observations on cases and protection: My day job is IT director in a small enterprise with around 750 employees. We have lots of mobile devices - a delivery operation, order picking, kitchens and it is all 27x7x365. I'm not convinced a lot of the fat and ugly cases do that much. We still broken screens. That fuels my using cases like Apple Leather or Speck Grip only. I'll put the phone on my homemade sock sleeve and the dry bag if needed.
    07-13-2019 08:54 AM