Rugged iPhone Xs Max case that can be used on top off silicon case

dflachbart

Jun 15, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a rugged case for the iPhone Xs Max that can be used when the phone that already has the Apple Silicone case on? I'd need the 'rugged' protection only once a week (hiking) but don't want to use it all the time, nor switch between the cases every time again...

My feeling is that something like this doesn't even exist, but thought it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks,
Dirk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. In my 10+ years doing this, I can't say that I've seen anything like that, but anything is possible. It may exist, but I have never had a need for such a case so that might be the reason I've never seen it. Maybe some else has and hopefully will chime in. Feel free to join in on the many threads on iMore. ENJOY.

dflachbart

Jun 15, 2019
Visit site
Why not simply obtain an Otterbox, and remove the silicone case, when using the Otterbox?

I just feel that by constantly switching between the two cases (remove silicon, install Otterbox, remove Otterbox, install silicon) the chances increase that my iPhone gets scratched / scuffed up during the process, and this would get completely eliminated if I'd be able to just leave the silicone on.

I guess I'm just being too anal about this, but if such a case existed I'd certainly love to have it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I just feel that by constantly switching between the two cases (remove silicon, install Otterbox, remove Otterbox, install silicon) the chances increase that my iPhone gets scratched / scuffed up during the process, and this would get completely eliminated if I'd be able to just leave the silicone on.

I guess I'm just being too anal about this, but if such a case existed I'd certainly love to have it.

If we are talking OtterBox defenders, I stopped using those a couple of years ago. The hard shell always scratched the bezels of my phones. Every single time. Not sure if they have improved now but a case that damages my phone is not acceptable.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
At times I put my phone inside of a little inexpensive but effective dry bag, and since the early iPods I've made sleeve cases from old socks. Putting a manageable case in that has been effective for the action and adventure sports I do.

My observations on cases and protection: My day job is IT director in a small enterprise with around 750 employees. We have lots of mobile devices - a delivery operation, order picking, kitchens and it is all 27x7x365. I'm not convinced a lot of the fat and ugly cases do that much. We still broken screens. That fuels my using cases like Apple Leather or Speck Grip only. I'll put the phone on my homemade sock sleeve and the dry bag if needed.

ruiinplano

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a rugged case for the iPhone Xs Max that can be used when the phone that already has the Apple Silicone case on? I'd need the 'rugged' protection only once a week (hiking) but don't want to use it all the time, nor switch between the cases every time again...

My feeling is that something like this doesn't even exist, but thought it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks,
Dirk

nope, make sure you get a tempered glass on it, and then you are good to go!

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been using Spigen’s Tough Armour XP on my XS Max. Works really well and is easy to slip into pockets. You won’t need to keep switching with this one.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If we are talking OtterBox defenders, I stopped using those a couple of years ago. The hard shell always scratched the bezels of my phones. Every single time. Not sure if they have improved now but a case that damages my phone is not acceptable.

I brought up this issue before and people replied back like I was insane! I feel like the Apple leather case protected my phone better than the otter box and also life proof from scratches.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I brought up this issue before and people replied back like I was insane! I feel like the Apple leather case protected my phone better than the otter box and also life proof from scratches.

Yes, they do a good job. The leather and inner construction do not scratch and last long compared to silicone model if you use different cases,

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711