[REVIEW] Mujjo Leather Wallet Case for iPhone XS Max

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
MUJJO LEATHER WALLET CASE FOR IPHONE XS MAX

b37f4c000f8204effda8e9af5fd4a687.jpg

I’m going to start this review by saying I’m not naturally a fan of wallet cases. In my experience they’re bulky and not all that attractive, focusing too much on function and not enough on form. As an iPhone user I’ve come to appreciate the smartphone’s beautiful design so the last thing I want to do is cover it up with a cheap, poorly-designed case. Mujjo prides itself on breaking the mold when it comes to protecting our tech, creating a simple design aesthetic that compliments our devices while providing robust protection. How does their Leather Wallet Case measure up? Let’s find out.

af3e638fa50ed658feabf0518464490e.jpg

FORM
I’m just going to throw it out there: This case is beautiful. At its core it’s reminiscent of Apple’s own leather case collection. The leather is smooth and sturdy. It’s lined with a quality felt material to keep my precious iPhone XS Max comfortable. The bottom edge is cut out to make swiping up from the bottom of the display buttery smooth. The remaining edges protrude over the display ever so slightly to protect the glass from being scratched should the phone be placed—or worse, dropped—face down.The rear card slot is nicely stitched and well designed using the same high-quality leather and doesn’t add a noticeable amount of bulk. I was surprised at how thin this case was. Even when storing my drivers license and a credit card I wasn’t distracted by the added bulk. The rear camera cutout sits evenly around the camera bump, although not as snuggly as Apple’s cases do. The volume and sleep/wake buttons are built directly into the leather and are represented by small bumps directly over the actual buttons. Overall, I’m extremely impressed with Mujjo’s work. Bravo!

cdbbc61f189bdc03daf45b4ca87b6164.jpg

FUNCTION
Mujjo paid as much attention to the functionality of this case as they did its design. As a case it will do a great job with everyday bumps and the occasional drop. It doesn’t offer the extreme protection of some of the Otterbox or Lifeproof cases but it’s not supposed to. The leather finish provides a nice grip, more so than Apple’s leather case. It dependably held on to my iPhone XS Max but was easy to put on and take off. Mujjo claims that the rear card slot holds up to three cards but in my tests that was a really tight fit. Two cards fit quite comfortably, easily sliding in and out of the slot while holding on well enough where I wasn’t nervous I was going to accidentally lose a card. Often times leather button covers are stiff and hard to press. That’s not the case here (no pun intended). Button presses are effortless and I was surprised that I could still feel a nice ‘click’ with every press.

My one item of contention—and this is more of a limitation of my particular use case as well as with all wallet cases—is that wireless charging is sometimes unreliable depending on how many cards and what specific cards you have stored in the card slot. I own at least a half dozen wireless chargers, all strategically placed around my home, office and car. In my tests storing a metal credit card completely killed wireless charging. Storing one or two plastic cards worked fine, but storing three cards and attempting to use wireless charging only sometimes worked. That all being said, it’s probably best to remove your cards from the case before charging anyway as I’ve seen reports of wireless charging causing credit cards to stop working.

490792a291f18025b4068bc5263188e4.jpg

WHO SHOULD BUY IT (AND WHO SHOULDN’T)?
If you travel lightly—meaning you normally carry two or three cards on you and nothing else—then this case is great. It’s beautiful and functional at the same time. If you’re like me and typically carry a multitude of cards and cash this may not work as your daily driver. I found it difficult to justify using this case aside from one-off times. Still, it’s great at serving its purpose and will make the right users very happy for as as they own their phones.

The Mujjo Leather Wallet Case for iPhone XS Max sells on Amazon for $54.95 USD. The case I tested was black but it’s also available in tan, blue and olive. Check it out here: http://a.co/d/05uxw7w. You can also visit www.mujjo.com to check out their other offerings, including their beautiful Leather Case, a great option if you’re impressed with Mujjo’s craftsmanship but don’t need the card holder.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Very nice cases, but having the cards on the back open to all is a concern to me. Plus I like carrying more than 2 cards, I have 2 ID's, various cards, etc and need more than 2 in my case.