iPhone XS Max fire

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Xs max fire

It’s amazing how stuff like this appear to only happen during the holidays.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

The title of the article should read “Dumb___ sits on his phone, sets himself on fire.”

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

What I want to know is... but, did it bend???
And also, what did the lack of a headphone jack do to either help with, or hindering of, of the fire??

None of those issues persist but I heard if you squeeze it really hard you’ll lose reception. Normally that would be a problem but if the phone is on fire reception doesn’t really matter.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

None of those issues persist but I heard if you squeeze it really hard you’ll lose reception. Normally that would be a problem but if the phone is on fire reception doesn’t really matter.

‘Your holding it wrong*’
*use of fire retardant gloves is mandatory...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I bet if the guy went to the Apple Store and said "hey look at what my phone did" they would've replaced it right there on the spot. I imagine it was more like he went to the Apple store with a giant attitude, shot his mouth off, made legal threats, etc ...ect.. Everyones looking to win the "lottery" nowadays ...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

If the fire started while it was in his rear pocket and he was just standing up, I can see his frustration. But if it turns out he was sitting down it’s a shame that he wasn’t injured because that’s exactly what anyone who sits on a phone deserves to have happen to them.

He does reside in Ohio so I’m assuming he sat on it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

If the fire started while it was in his rear pocket and he was just standing up, I can see his frustration. But if it turns out he was sitting down it’s a shame that he wasn’t injured because that’s exactly what anyone who sits on a phone deserves to have happen to them.

He does reside in Ohio so I’m assuming he sat on it.

So why don’t you tell us how you really feel? Don’t hold back.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I never understood why people put their phones in their back pocket. It fits better in the front pocket OR in a bag, and you won't ever sit on it accidently. ;) That being said this is most likely an isolated incident. I'm sure Apple will investigate, and then offer a solution to mitigate the guy's damages. It won't and shouldn't be huge, BUT he may well be offered something beyond the value of the phone. :)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I never understood why people put their phones in their back pocket. It fits better in the front pocket OR in a bag, and you won't ever sit on it accidently. ;) That being said this is most likely an isolated incident. I'm sure Apple will investigate, and then offer a solution to mitigate the guy's damages. It won't and shouldn't be huge, BUT he may well be offered something beyond the value of the phone. :)

My Phone always ends up in my back jeans pocket when at work, and my new XS is uncomfortable in a front pocket when driving, or bending down. My, and many other’s work does not involve sitting down all day, it has to come with me,so phone gets put in arse pocket. I have sat on my old 4s many,many times, but I’m sure the XS won’t stand it !!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I throw my phone in my back pocket of jeans. It feels like an anchor in my front pocket. I’m just smart enough to not sit down on it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Batteries explode, it happens. Thankfully it’s usually not a widespread issue. And thankfully this person didn’t get seriously injured. As for the pocket debate, I wear a vest, my phone goes in my vest pocket. If not in my vest pocket it’s in my front pocket, that feel more natural. My work phone goes in the front pocket of jeans and the side pocket on my carpenter pants for work.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sitting on them is never good for them. Even if you are tiny and weigh 100 lbs on a heavy day. They are not made to bear that much weight or pressure. I never chance it. My XS goes in either my front pocket, jacket chest pocket, or my holster when I am at work.

That said, things happen. Failures happen, its a part of life. The problem with lithium batteries of any kind is their chemistry is extremely energetic. That is what makes them great to power high drain devices like smartphones and high-output flashlights. This is also the issue though. When a failure, a breach of the casing happens and it is exposed to outside air or if they are excessively heated, lithium has a way of reacting, and rather violently. All it takes is the moisture in the air to get a lithium battery to rapidly disassemble with flame. Ive heard of CR123s (an extremely popular lithium battery in high-output flashlights) quite literally going up like an M80 when the casing is breached, the battery overheated, overcharged, even severely discharged, or when there is a over current situation. Most people dont realize just how volatile lithium batteries are due to the very nature of the lithium itself that it is comprised of. It is an extremely reactive alkali metal (group 1 on the periodic table, the most reactive elements) which is well demonstrated by cases like this. So essentially we are all carrying around little bombs in the form of a phone, flashlight, or more (I myself carry one of those high-output flashlights mentioned as part of my job).

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My Xs MAX goes in my holster 98% of the time. The other 2% it is in my shirt pocket when I am going down my steps to my computer room to back it up/sync and charge. At no time have my iPhones, my 1st iPhone was a 3G and I have had everyone since except the 3GS.

I see a lot of people with cell phones sticking out of their back pocket just saying "steal me, drop me, break me"!!

I guess I have a bit of OCD about taking the best care of my portable electronic devices, my iPhone and iPads.