Verizon is Activating eSIMs Starting Today Apparently

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Verizon is starting to offer eSIM activations for the XS and XS Max phone today. I called in and had mine activated.

The rep at first tried to tell me it still wasn’t available yet but I kept reiterating the it’s been reported on multiple tech websites that a leaked Verizon memo stated that activations will begin on 12/7/2018 and to make sure staff are trained on how to do the activations. He was finally able to find the info in the system and we started the process.

After about 15 min, I was up and running with Verizon on my eSIM and T-Mobile as the primary physical SIM.

I am now very happy I can finally carry one phone with me instead of two

Last edited:

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
7af551bd819fd969df4d3faded686124.jpg

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Is this something on all of the xs max?

Bought mine at T-Mobile

Yes, it is something that can be done on any XS Max, though your phone does need to be carrier unlocked to mix with a SIM from another carrier. The issue is that T-Mobile does not yet support eSIM, though they are rolling out an app now to their employees as a beta test that allows it. The next issue, apparently the app currently only works on T-Mobile prepaid -- it won't move a postpaid account to the eSIM. Hopefully this will change when the app is officially released, or shortly after.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it is something that can be done on any XS Max, though your phone does need to be carrier unlocked to mix with a SIM from another carrier. The issue is that T-Mobile does not yet support eSIM, though they are rolling out an app now to their employees as a beta test that allows it. The next issue, apparently the app currently only works on T-Mobile prepaid -- it won't move a postpaid account to the eSIM. Hopefully this will change when the app is officially released, or shortly after.

It can work for Tmo Postpaid

5d3f3a3e16b1a69610a087b88253580a.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Got mine setup with my two AT&T lines. They pretty much had no clue how to do it or how it really works. We all had to figure it out together. Lol. But yeah kinda sucks that only one line can utilize iMessage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Got mine setup with my two AT&T lines. They pretty much had no clue how to do it or how it really works. We all had to figure it out together. Lol.

At least you both acquired the knowledge to help others who may be tempted to use eSIM along with a traditional SIM.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
At least you both acquired the knowledge to help others who may be tempted to use eSIM along with a traditional SIM.

Yeah, not sure how Verizon does it but at first I tried to do it myself but it turns out you need an actual physical eSIM card so I had to go to the AT&T store and the first store I went to had no clue and didn't have the eSIM cards and said I'm better off going to their main flagship store. They scan your eSIM card to your account and your good to go. There's a way to do it yourself if you obtain an eSIM by going into Settings - Cellular - Add Cellular Plan then scan the eSIM and go through the setup process.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, not sure how Verizon does it but at first I tried to do it myself but it turns out you need an actual physical eSIM card so I had to go to the AT&T store and the first store I went to had no clue and didn't have the eSIM cards and said I'm better off going to their main flagship store. They scan your eSIM card to your account and your good to go. There's a way to do it yourself if you obtain an eSIM by going into Settings - Cellular - Add Cellular Plan then scan the eSIM and go through the setup process.

For over the phone with customer service activation, Verizon first has you provide the digital IMEI number to them, the do some provisioning on your account, then email you a QR code for you to scan with the iPhone. You go into the settings menu and then to Cellular and from there there is an option to add cellular plan and that is where you will scan the QR code to activate it.

It’s fairly simple and took about 15 min for me once the rep found the procedure for eSIM activation.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
For over the phone with customer service activation, Verizon first has you provide the digital IMEI number to them, the do some provisioning on your account, then email you a QR code for you to scan with the iPhone. You go into the settings menu and then to Cellular and from there there is an option to add cellular plan and that is where you will scan the QR code to activate it.

It’s fairly simple and took about 15 min for me once the rep found the procedure for eSIM activation.

Nice seems like an easier process than AT&T.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal