Last night my FaceID just all of sudden stopped. My lock screen was requiring my passcode and when I went to the settings there was a RED 1 indicator that something was wrong with my true depth camera. It turned off FaceID for all my applications and would not let me make a new FaceID scan.

Step 1. Turned the phone off and back on. It was magical. Problem solved. Now 80+% of me is happy it’s working but the 20% or so cannot stand when there is no rhyme or reason for an issue...especially when I had to individually re-enter passwords and enable FaceID again!
    11-06-2018 07:47 AM
    Last night my FaceID just all of sudden stopped. My lock screen was requiring my passcode and when I went to the settings there was a RED 1 indicator that something was wrong with my true depth camera. It turned off FaceID for all my applications and would not let me make a new FaceID scan.

Step 1. Turned the phone off and back on. It was magical. Problem solved. Now 80+% of me is happy it’s working but the 20% or so cannot stand when there is no rhyme or reason for an issue...especially when I had to individually re-enter passwords and enable FaceID again!
    Yikes, that had to be a pain!!!! Glad it’s working again, but that 20% would be 80% with me LOL. I’d be extremely bothered and would need answers🤷🏾*♀️
    Al Paca likes this.
    11-06-2018 07:52 AM
    Yikes, that had to be a pain!!!! Glad it’s working again, but that 20% would be 80% with me LOL. I’d be extremely bothered and would need answers🤷🏾*♀️
    Yeah, this device has been acting a bit weird for sure. Went an entire day without visual voicemail and had no idea. Apple blames AT&T and AT&T blames Apple. If they keep up this blame game I’ll leave both
    Stan Jackson and nikkisharif like this.
    11-06-2018 07:55 AM
    Yeah, this device has been acting a bit weird for sure. Went an entire day without visual voicemail and had no idea. Apple blames AT&T and AT&T blames Apple. If they keep up this blame game I’ll leave both
    Lol
    11-06-2018 08:01 AM

Me personally, i like face ID but not sure if it is better than touch ID? I’m sure it will improve bit right now i dont think its better. Its definitely slower and touch ID worked flawlessly. Overall i prefer face ID just not sure its better right now*
    11-06-2018 08:04 AM
    And here I am on the verge of getting a Xs Max and start reading all the issue posts.

Maybe I will hang onto the 7+ a bit longer.
    11-06-2018 08:20 AM
    I wasn't sure about face id, had a IPhone 8+ and really liked fingerprintsensor. It worked flawless for mer. Got hold of a one week old Max and I'm surprised and amazed how well face id is working. It's a great feature and works so well that I have forgot my phone is locked. Maybe face id is a bit slower but it's nothing that bothers me, when I take up my phone it's ready to swipe and unlock.
    11-06-2018 11:50 AM
    Coincidentally, I just saw that there is a post on iMore's sister forum, "Android Central" that "Face unlock is a mess on Android, and it's all Google's fault". It's just a bad day all around for facial recognition...
    Jude526 likes this.
    11-06-2018 11:55 AM
    And here I am on the verge of getting a Xs Max and start reading all the issue posts.

Don’t wait...I had an X for a year. Had the XS Max since launch day and only had a problem 1 time that resolved itself with a restart. It is a great device.

In the interest of transparency I do feel a fingerprint to unlock the device is best, but FaceID to open secured apps is better than TouchID.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    11-06-2018 12:15 PM
    Well unfortunately in the past 4 days, Tmobile had changed their website from $99 down, $27/mo to $349 down and $20/mo.
    11-06-2018 12:26 PM
    Well unfortunately in the past 4 days, Tmobile had changed their website from $99 down, $27/mo to $349 down and $20/mo.
    T-Mobile EIP plans are so annoying. They keep changing them on people.
    11-06-2018 01:35 PM
    That sounds like a hardware issue to me. I'm not sure what a RED1 error is. You might want to take it to an Apple store and see about getting it swapped out. The camera system should not fail like that. The only issue you should ever see is if you fail to properly unlock, it requires a PIN just like TouchID and then you're set again after that.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-07-2018 01:50 PM
    That sounds like a hardware issue to me. I'm not sure what a RED1 error is. You might want to take it to an Apple store and see about getting it swapped out. The camera system should not fail like that. The only issue you should ever see is if you fail to properly unlock, it requires a PIN just like TouchID and then you're set again after that.
    I agree, it sounds much more like hardware failure than software failure.
    11-07-2018 02:20 PM

To put your mind at ease my X Face ID that I set up when new has never gave me any issues even while in bed in lowlight or smoking a cigarette
    11-07-2018 03:11 PM
    I’ve had no issues at all with Face ID and it’s fast! Works with everything too. I like it so much better than Touch ID.
    I haven’t heard about issues with the Xs or Max but people always talk about problems much more than they do how well something works. If you just went by complaints on forums you’d never get any thing. I learned that a long time ago when I was on Android.
    tadpoles likes this.
    11-07-2018 08:48 PM
    To put your mind at ease my X Face ID that I set up when new has never gave me any issues even while in bed in lowlight or smoking a cigarette
    You shouldn’t smoke, it’s bad for you.

The biometric finger print reader on my 8+ works while I’m smoking a cigarette too.
    11-07-2018 09:45 PM
    You shouldn’t smoke, it’s bad for you.

The biometric finger print reader on my 8+ works while I’m smoking a cigarette too.
    You mean to tell me your Touch ID works with the dreaded nicotine finger
    11-07-2018 10:22 PM
    I’ve had no issues at all with Face ID and it’s fast! Works with everything too. I like it so much better than Touch ID.
    I haven’t heard about issues with the Xs or Max but people always talk about problems much more than they do how well something works. If you just went by complaints on forums you’d never get any thing. I learned that a long time ago when I was on Android.
    Agree completely. Like I said. My X was great and not a single FaceID issue. My XS Max has been perfect except one occurrence. I’m not worried. It was less of a complaint and more an inquiry. My phone has been checked out and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, hardware or software. Must have just been a one off situation.
    kataran and Westiemom like this.
    11-08-2018 08:01 AM

Forums tend to have content from the overall small numbers of problems that occur with products. My HQ office and data center room are not quite 2 blocks from an Apple Store. We happen to have a lot of interaction because we're with business team support and most of the store's staff use one of the cafes our company owns. All the talk is these are good phones like most all of the Apple products.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-10-2018 08:13 AM
    Forums tend to have content from the overall small numbers of problems that occur with products. My HQ office and data center room are not quite 2 blocks from an Apple Store. We happen to have a lot of interaction because we're with business team support and most of the store's staff use one of the cafes our company owns. All the talk is these are good phones like most all of the Apple products.
    I agree. Reading about issues from a small amount of users on an online forum and assuming the masses are having the same problems is like going to the doctor and assuming everyone in the world must be sick. People flock to forums when they are having issues, not necessarily when everything is going perfectly.
    I’m actually very happy with my XS Max. It hasn’t introduced any new problems compared to my prior iPhone X. Face ID is more accurate and responsive. The new camera features are cool. I play a few AR games and they are running much smoother than they did on my X. The sound that this thing pushes out is crazy good for such a small device.
    Tartarus and judgetom like this.
    11-10-2018 08:23 AM
    I have had no issues with Face ID apart from the security worries that we posted about in another thread. Which is more than I can say about Touch ID,which constantly forgets what it’s doing,and has to re-learn all the time !
    11-10-2018 09:27 AM
    This never happened to me. But kinda worrying that will happens soon.
    11-13-2018 04:35 AM
    This never happened to me. But kinda worrying that will happens soon.
    It’s not bad but it is irritating,what happens is that it forgets a digit regularly,so you have to shift the device so you can use another digit, or you can get in with your chosen grip if you keep going till it re-learns, Annoying !
    11-13-2018 05:37 AM
    It’s not bad but it is irritating,what happens is that it forgets a digit regularly,so you have to shift the device so you can use another digit, or you can get in with your chosen grip if you keep going till it re-learns, Annoying !
    I was never more happy than when apple came out with faceid. I work with my hands and I can promise you my touchid worked MAYBE 40% of the time. I absolutely hated it. Even on my pixel 2xl I hate the finger print sensor.

FaceID works when my fingers are wet, sweaty, greasy, or dirty. FaceID works when I have sunglasses on or a hat or even when I shave a beard or grow it out. It even works when I wear surgical latex gloves in the hospitals. The only time I have trouble with faceid ever is when I hold my phone at a weird angle and even then it works most of the time.

If anyone tells me touchid is better, I find it hard to believe that they've ever actually used both. Either that or they have perfectly dry and not sweaty and clean hands every single second of their life.
    flyinion likes this.
    11-13-2018 07:27 AM