FaceID Error

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Last night my FaceID just all of sudden stopped. My lock screen was requiring my passcode and when I went to the settings there was a RED 1 indicator that something was wrong with my true depth camera. It turned off FaceID for all my applications and would not let me make a new FaceID scan.

Step 1. Turned the phone off and back on. It was magical. Problem solved. Now 80+% of me is happy it’s working but the 20% or so cannot stand when there is no rhyme or reason for an issue...especially when I had to individually re-enter passwords and enable FaceID again!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Last night my FaceID just all of sudden stopped. My lock screen was requiring my passcode and when I went to the settings there was a RED 1 indicator that something was wrong with my true depth camera. It turned off FaceID for all my applications and would not let me make a new FaceID scan.

Step 1. Turned the phone off and back on. It was magical. Problem solved. Now 80+% of me is happy it’s working but the 20% or so cannot stand when there is no rhyme or reason for an issue...especially when I had to individually re-enter passwords and enable FaceID again!

Yikes, that had to be a pain!!!! Glad it’s working again, but that 20% would be 80% with me LOL. I’d be extremely bothered and would need answers🤷🏾*♀️

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Yikes, that had to be a pain!!!! Glad it’s working again, but that 20% would be 80% with me LOL. I’d be extremely bothered and would need answers🤷🏾*♀️

Yeah, this device has been acting a bit weird for sure. Went an entire day without visual voicemail and had no idea. Apple blames AT&T and AT&T blames Apple. If they keep up this blame game I’ll leave both

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Me personally, i like face ID but not sure if it is better than touch ID? I’m sure it will improve bit right now i dont think its better. Its definitely slower and touch ID worked flawlessly. Overall i prefer face ID just not sure its better right now*

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
And here I am on the verge of getting a Xs Max and start reading all the issue posts.

Maybe I will hang onto the 7+ a bit longer.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't sure about face id, had a IPhone 8+ and really liked fingerprintsensor. It worked flawless for mer. Got hold of a one week old Max and I'm surprised and amazed how well face id is working. It's a great feature and works so well that I have forgot my phone is locked. Maybe face id is a bit slower but it's nothing that bothers me, when I take up my phone it's ready to swipe and unlock.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Coincidentally, I just saw that there is a post on iMore's sister forum, "Android Central" that "Face unlock is a mess on Android, and it's all Google's fault". It's just a bad day all around for facial recognition...

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
And here I am on the verge of getting a Xs Max and start reading all the issue posts.

Don’t wait...I had an X for a year. Had the XS Max since launch day and only had a problem 1 time that resolved itself with a restart. It is a great device.

In the interest of transparency I do feel a fingerprint to unlock the device is best, but FaceID to open secured apps is better than TouchID.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well unfortunately in the past 4 days, Tmobile had changed their website from $99 down, $27/mo to $349 down and $20/mo.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
That sounds like a hardware issue to me. I'm not sure what a RED1 error is. You might want to take it to an Apple store and see about getting it swapped out. The camera system should not fail like that. The only issue you should ever see is if you fail to properly unlock, it requires a PIN just like TouchID and then you're set again after that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like a hardware issue to me. I'm not sure what a RED1 error is. You might want to take it to an Apple store and see about getting it swapped out. The camera system should not fail like that. The only issue you should ever see is if you fail to properly unlock, it requires a PIN just like TouchID and then you're set again after that.

I agree, it sounds much more like hardware failure than software failure.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

To put your mind at ease my X Face ID that I set up when new has never gave me any issues even while in bed in lowlight or smoking a cigarette

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had no issues at all with Face ID and it’s fast! Works with everything too. I like it so much better than Touch ID.
I haven’t heard about issues with the Xs or Max but people always talk about problems much more than they do how well something works. If you just went by complaints on forums you’d never get any thing. I learned that a long time ago when I was on Android.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
To put your mind at ease my X Face ID that I set up when new has never gave me any issues even while in bed in lowlight or smoking a cigarette

You shouldn’t smoke, it’s bad for you.

The biometric finger print reader on my 8+ works while I’m smoking a cigarette too. :cool:

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’ve had no issues at all with Face ID and it’s fast! Works with everything too. I like it so much better than Touch ID.
I haven’t heard about issues with the Xs or Max but people always talk about problems much more than they do how well something works. If you just went by complaints on forums you’d never get any thing. I learned that a long time ago when I was on Android.

Agree completely. Like I said. My X was great and not a single FaceID issue. My XS Max has been perfect except one occurrence. I’m not worried. It was less of a complaint and more an inquiry. My phone has been checked out and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, hardware or software. Must have just been a one off situation.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Forums tend to have content from the overall small numbers of problems that occur with products. My HQ office and data center room are not quite 2 blocks from an Apple Store. We happen to have a lot of interaction because we're with business team support and most of the store's staff use one of the cafes our company owns. All the talk is these are good phones like most all of the Apple products.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Forums tend to have content from the overall small numbers of problems that occur with products. My HQ office and data center room are not quite 2 blocks from an Apple Store. We happen to have a lot of interaction because we're with business team support and most of the store's staff use one of the cafes our company owns. All the talk is these are good phones like most all of the Apple products.

I agree. Reading about issues from a small amount of users on an online forum and assuming the masses are having the same problems is like going to the doctor and assuming everyone in the world must be sick. People flock to forums when they are having issues, not necessarily when everything is going perfectly.
I’m actually very happy with my XS Max. It hasn’t introduced any new problems compared to my prior iPhone X. Face ID is more accurate and responsive. The new camera features are cool. I play a few AR games and they are running much smoother than they did on my X. The sound that this thing pushes out is crazy good for such a small device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods