Dual SIM Support Delayed on AT&T

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
That is correct. None of the four big carriers will activate any esims until later this year according to multiple sources. I’m very disappointed about that since that was really one of the main features I wanted to use.

Hopefully they are actually able to get it launched before the end of this year and it’s not just typical rhetoric coming from the carriers

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I kinda got lucky in that my local store activated my eSIM before AT&T said they’re doing a delay. Right now I’m running on the eSIM. I’ve noticed that when I have my eSIM and another AT&T SIM in, it seems that the eSIM is one bar less than the actual SIM. Looking forward to when it’s official, it on mine it seems to be.

Last edited:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ridiculous. Apple seems to be the only company that gets away with this. No ECG and no ESIM as of November. At this rate the hardware will be obsolete before it can be used. Meanwhile, my other devices with two physical sim trays have worked flawless for years.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I wish stuff would quit getting launched that carriers or Apple can’t deliver on.

Anyone seen AirPower?

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Ridiculous. Apple seems to be the only company that gets away with this. No ECG and no ESIM as of November. At this rate the hardware will be obsolete before it can be used. Meanwhile, my other devices with two physical sim trays have worked flawless for years.

ESIM isn’t Apples fault, as it’s enabled. ECG on the other hand is all Apple.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Not surprised by the carrier delays, they new Apple was pushing this big time and as usual they delay it. The Apple Watch is ESIM so why is there an issue with it?

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Figured I'd update this thread as AT&T officially launched eSIM support on December 5th. You'll need to go into an AT&T store to get an eSIM card and have them activate it on your account. You might want to call ahead of time to see if your local AT&T store has the eSIM cards in stock and if they even know how to do it. I went to one store that didn't have them in stock nor knew what I was talking about or even knew the iPhone Xs and Max had dual SIM support and sent me to the larger flagship store.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Re: Dual SIM Support Delayed on AT&T

Figured I'd update this thread as AT&T officially launched eSIM support on December 5th. You'll need to go into an AT&T store to get an eSIM card and have them activate it on your account. You might want to call ahead of time to see if your local AT&T store has the eSIM cards in stock and if they even know how to do it. I went to one store that didn't have them in stock nor knew what I was talking about or even knew the iPhone Xs and Max had dual SIM support and sent me to the larger flagship store.

Were you able to get it taken care of? Corporate store or Franchise dealer?

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Were you able to get it taken care of? Corporate store or Franchise dealer?

Yeah got both my AT&T accounts on my Max. I had to go to the bigger corporate store in my area. I was their first customer to request the eSIM so the whole process was new to them but we eventually got it figured out.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site

Yeah got both my AT&T accounts on my Max. I had to go to the bigger corporate store in my area. I was their first customer to request the eSIM so the whole process was new to them but we eventually got it figured out.

I went to my usual corporate store and saw reliable CSR person that I know. Says that some glitches occur in setup, possible from demand, and suggested I wait another week to get wrinkles out within provisioning. Has everything been well on your eSIM arrangement?

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

I went to my usual corporate store and saw reliable CSR person that I know. Says that some glitches occur in setup, possible from demand, and suggested I wait another week to get wrinkles out within provisioning. Has everything been well on your eSIM arrangement?
Everything is working smoothly. The provisioning was actually pretty quick. It was just a matter of the CSR knowing the proper process on how to do it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Finally got mine set up at a corp at&t store, took a bit as they were not even aware that they had the E-SIM cards on handl. Got it transferred so my XS Max is now E-SIM. So if I want to put my work SIM from Verizon in my phone and set it up as the secondary line or switch back and forth from work time to personal time as needed the only question I have is how do I set one line to go directly to voicemail? I keep my phone on 24x7 since we got rid of our home phone, and at night and weekends I don’t want my work number ringing on my personal phone I would prefer it be turned off.

shelshy

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Got it set up on my XS Max today. Took all of about 5 mins. Kept my FirstNet sim as primary and my regular AT&T line as the esim one.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
One thing I found a little buggy with having two lines is with iMessage. I had an on going text message with someone and for some reason it decides to use my secondary line to send a new message so going forward it's now stuck at using the secondary non-iMessage line and converting it to regular SMS. There's no way (that I could find) to switch it back unless I delete the whole message and start a new one with my Primary line. Super annoying.

I'm assuming the reason why it initially switched to my secondary and converting it to SMS is because I didn't have a good data connection so it reverted it to SMS. I'm just guessing at this point.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
One thing I found a little buggy with having two lines is with iMessage. I had an on going text message with someone and for some reason it decides to use my secondary line to send a new message so going forward it's now stuck at using the secondary non-iMessage line and converting it to regular SMS. There's no way (that I could find) to switch it back unless I delete the whole message and start a new one with my Primary line. Super annoying.

I'm assuming the reason why it initially switched to my secondary and converting it to SMS is because I didn't have a good data connection so it reverted it to SMS. I'm just guessing at this point.

Can confirm has happened to me here and there. Only way I’ve been able to get it to switch back is have that person text to the correct number.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR