I have a group chat set to Hide Alerts in the settings of that group but is there a way to stop it from showing a badge icon notification? Doesn't make any sense if I want to hide alerts why would it still show a badge icon when I don't want to see anything from that group message.
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    10-25-2018 01:21 PM
    I have a group chat set to Hide Alerts in the settings of that group but is there a way to stop it from showing a badge icon notification? Doesn't make any sense if I want to hide alerts why would it still show a badge icon when I don't want to see anything from that group message.
    It’s to show you there are unread messages in WhatsApp.
    It doesn’t discriminate by muted and non-muted groups.
    10-25-2018 01:40 PM
    It’s to show you there are unread messages in WhatsApp.
    It doesn’t discriminate by muted and non-muted groups.
    Yeah I get that but if I wanted it muted then I don't want to see that they're unread until I actually open the app. I guess it's just the way it is and I'm just OCD like that.
    10-25-2018 01:43 PM
    Nope. With Hide Alerts on in iMessage you still get the unread count badge, just not the audio or vibration.

Not let me also add that it's not "broke" or need to be "fixed". That's the way Apple designed it to function.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    10-26-2018 05:18 AM
    This is one instance where I wish Apple gave the user just a bit of control. I turn on hide alerts because I don’t want to be bothered. The app badge still bothers me though. It would be nice to be able to turn off the app badge as well. I’m in a group chat with some guys from work and it lights up like a Christmas tree every Sunday during football season. There are others that I’ve flat out left because I just didn’t feel like constantly going in just to clear out the app badges.
    Tartarus and strikeIII like this.
    10-26-2018 05:26 AM
    This is one instance where I wish Apple gave the user just a bit of control. I turn on hide alerts because I don’t want to be bothered. The app badge still bothers me though. It would be nice to be able to turn off the app badge as well. I’m in a group chat with some guys from work and it lights up like a Christmas tree every Sunday during football season. There are others that I’ve flat out left because I just didn’t feel like constantly going in just to clear out the app badges.
    Exactly!
    10-26-2018 07:41 AM
    I can see the merits of this. Why not considering offering Apple some feedback? Here's a link.
    10-26-2018 08:43 AM
    This has been a request for a long time, but for now badges are associated with the total number of messages. Hopefully in a future update we have the option to stop badges for groups that DnD are enabled on.
    10-26-2018 02:57 PM