Any Android users switch to the new iPhone XS line ?

Zorachus

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Curious, if any long time Android users, specifically Nexus / Pixel users that have made the switch to the new iPhone XS or XS Max ?

If so, what's your honest opinion so far ?

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I switch all the time but I just switched to the Max from the Pixel 3xl and Note 9 before that.

So far so good although I do also love apple. The screen is amazing but so were the other two listed. Battery life is better than the Pixel for sure. Build is much more solid feeling. Notch is smaller. Keyboard is better.

One thing I didn’t like about the pixel is it limits the charging. So unless your using googles chargers it won’t truly fast charge. My Samsung fast chargers wouldn’t fast charge the pixel. Not sure if it’s different for the iPhone but that was a gripe I had with the 3XL.

I did have to exchange my iPhone today though as the one I got yesterday has a uneven back plate that was lifted from the frame. Got a new one and it’s perfect now.

wbcolon

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I use both. Xs Max majority of the time and when I feel the itch for a new device N9. But my primary device is the Max with Apple Watch S4 SS.

Zorachus

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I switch all the time but I just switched to the Max from the Pixel 3xl and Note 9 before that.

So far so good although I do also love apple. The screen is amazing but so were the other two listed. Battery life is better than the Pixel for sure. Build is much more solid feeling. Notch is smaller. Keyboard is better.

One thing I didn’t like about the pixel is it limits the charging. So unless your using googles chargers it won’t truly fast charge. My Samsung fast chargers wouldn’t fast charge the pixel. Not sure if it’s different for the iPhone but that was a gripe I had with the 3XL.

I did have to exchange my iPhone today though as the one I got yesterday has a uneven back plate that was lifted from the frame. Got a new one and it’s perfect now.

I am currently using the Pixel 3 XL, and previously had the 2 XL. I do like the 3 XL, nice phone, but overall it feels more of just a better 2 XL, nothing radical or night and day different, but a refined nicer 2 XL part 2.

Playing with the XS Max at Best Buy several different times, and man it's a beauty, just such a good looking phone, with the full screen, no chin, smaller notch than my Pixel 3 XL, and it felt FAST and SMOOTH, but so does my 3 XL it's very fast too. I just rooted mine, so I can have AdAway and complete ad free browsers and apps have zero adds too. And the dark system theme is great too, you need to be rooted to do full themes.

But sometimes I dream of getting the iPhone XS Max, I have an upgrade ready at T-Mobile. But not sure I can handle iOS ? Notifications I thought sucked on iOS before compared to Android. And just the overall difference between stock Android compared to iOS.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I generally use the google calendar app...but I prefer native apps, and the Apple calendar app doesn’t live up

If you need something more than what the native iOS app offers, then fantastical 2 is a great app, don’t think it’s available on android though. Apple Watch integration is a must for me.
https://flexibits.com/fantastical-iphone?pk_campaign=iosappstore&pk_kwd=website

There is also timepage. Both are great calendar apps.
https://moleskinestudio.com/

Try them out and see.
Google calendar is kind of meh.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the pixel 2 xl and its much lighter than the max but typing is easier on the max. Navigation is easier on the pixel and much faster than the max. It's becoming a easier decision to return the max.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
If you need something more than what the native iOS app offers, then fantastical 2 is a great app, don’t think it’s available on android though. Apple Watch integration is a must for me.
https://flexibits.com/fantastical-iphone?pk_campaign=iosappstore&pk_kwd=website

There is also timepage. Both are great calendar apps.
https://moleskinestudio.com/

Try them out and see.
Google calendar is kind of meh.

Timepage is one of the best looking apps in the App Store. I really like it.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
TIMEPAGE
8e7cb9f1fe2a689a0c196e6a8b6a3668.jpg

cf0783a087d721144efbf5ac8e9490df.jpg

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I went from the iPhone Xs Max to the Note 9 to the Pixel 3 XL. I like the Pixel 3 XL the least of those three devices. The gestures on the Pixel 3 XL aren't nearly as smooth as they are on the iPhone. The notch is bigger. RAM management is worse.

I heard the iPhone charging problem has been fixed. I may revisit the iPhone Xs Max again here soon.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I do like the 3 XL, nice phone, but overall it feels more of just a better 2 XL, nothing radical or night and day different, but a refined nicer 2 XL part 2.

I'm feeling the same way about my Clearly White 128GB Pixel 3 XL. It's more of a Pixel 2 XL vol. 2. The notch is terrible. 128GB isn't enough storage. The gestures are not nearly as smooth as on the iPhone. RAM management is severely lacking. The only thing I like about the Pixel 3 XL is the camera, specifically photos. Nothing can beat the Pixel when it comes to still photography. But the overall experience is what matters and I think the iPhone was much better. Even Flossy Carter said the Pixel 3 XL was too much for what it (doesn't) offer.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I went from the iPhone Xs Max to the Note 9 to the Pixel 3 XL. I like the Pixel 3 XL the least of those three devices. The gestures on the Pixel 3 XL aren't nearly as smooth as they are on the iPhone. The notch is bigger. RAM management is worse.

I heard the iPhone charging problem has been fixed. I may revisit the iPhone Xs Max again here soon.

I went from the Note 9 to the Pixel 3xl to the XS Max. Yes the Ram issue on the Pixel finally got me. I returned it and got the Max. Much happier now. I was looking forward to using night shot on the pixel though.

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Curious, if any long time Android users, specifically Nexus / Pixel users that have made the switch to the new iPhone XS or XS Max ?

If so, what's your honest opinion so far ?

I've never been a Nexus/Pixel user, but I've been on Android since 2011. This is the year I made the jump to Apple. I would have bought the Xs Max, but it's out of my budget.

Last month I dropped my S7 Edge and the screen shattered. I didn't want to pay to have the screen fixed since I had an upgrade coming in October so I activated my wife's iPhone 6 Plus and used that before I upgraded.
I am actually pretty impressed with iOS 12. The notifications are now grouped, still not quite as good as Android, but it's an improvement.

I guess what I like about it is everything is cohesive in the software. Each app has a purpose and has generally the same design. Notes has a purpose, Reminders has a purpose, Apple Music has a purpose, etc.. So, when you use Siri for a Reminder or a Note it puts that in the respective app. Everything is very simple, but it works very well together.

Android is getting messy with all of its apps kind of flowing into each other. For example, who knows what is going on with Google Play Music. Is it music or is it videos or do I have to go to YouTube to get my music?? I'm not sure what's going on with Tasks. I know Google Tasks is out there, but it would have made more sense to just integrate it with Google Keep because I don't think you can use Google Assistant to create a task in GTasks?? I do like the direction Google is taking the software as far as the looks go, but they have work to do before I come back.

Last, but not least, is iMessage. I have a rather large extended family and most of us keep in touch. I would say out of the 20 I talk to, only 2 have Android and I'm one of them. I travel a lot for work, so it's nice to get a quick "I love you" video in the morning from my 8 year old before she heads off to school or a facetime call from my oldest when he needs help with his homework :).

This is longer than I wanted, but I do not regret jumping over to Apple and I'll be here for quite a while.

Edit: I forgot about the Apple Watch. It is better than anything I used in the Android World.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I've never been a Nexus/Pixel user, but I've been on Android since 2011. This is the year I made the jump to Apple. I would have bought the Xs Max, but it's out of my budget.

Last month I dropped my S7 Edge and the screen shattered. I didn't want to pay to have the screen fixed since I had an upgrade coming in October so I activated my wife's iPhone 6 Plus and used that before I upgraded.
I am actually pretty impressed with iOS 12. The notifications are now grouped, still not quite as good as Android, but it's an improvement.

I guess what I like about it is everything is cohesive in the software. Each app has a purpose and has generally the same design. Notes has a purpose, Reminders has a purpose, Apple Music has a purpose, etc.. So, when you use Siri for a Reminder or a Note it puts that in the respective app. Everything is very simple, but it works very well together.

Android is getting messy with all of its apps kind of flowing into each other. For example, who knows what is going on with Google Play Music. Is it music or is it videos or do I have to go to YouTube to get my music?? I'm not sure what's going on with Tasks. I know Google Tasks is out there, but it would have made more sense to just integrate it with Google Keep because I don't think you can use Google Assistant to create a task in GTasks?? I do like the direction Google is taking the software as far as the looks go, but they have work to do before I come back.

Last, but not least, is iMessage. I have a rather large extended family and most of us keep in touch. I would say out of the 20 I talk to, only 2 have Android and I'm one of them. I travel a lot for work, so it's nice to get a quick "I love you" video in the morning from my 8 year old before she heads off to school or a facetime call from my oldest when he needs help with his homework :).

This is longer than I wanted, but I do not regret jumping over to Apple and I'll be here for quite a while.

Edit: I forgot about the Apple Watch. It is better than anything I used in the Android World.

This pretty much sums it up. Until you experience the difference you don’t realize how much better iOS is in real world usage. It just works and works very well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73