iPhone XS Max - Top Heavy?

harrismail

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
I've currently got an iPhone X and I'm considering getting an XS Max but the one thing I'm not sure about is how the phone balances in your hand/s when typing, say, a text.

When I'm typing a text with the iPhone X, the phone sits reasonably well balanced in my hand but because the XS Max is that bit taller I'm thinking it might be a bit "top heavy"?

The keyboard is obviously right at the bottom of the screen but there's a "whole lot of phone" above it which might need a firmer hold on the bottom of the phone to stop it tipping away from you than on an iPhone X?

I might be completely wrong and it might be more well balanced than I think but could any XS Max users who've got a minute to spare tell me what they think?

TIA Steve

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As long as you support the iPhone with your pointing finger a little above half off the back, you won’t even notice any difference in balance.

Apple has made a tremendous job in balancing their iPhones.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I upgrade to the Xs Max from an X. the phone feels great in my hand, balance, weight and size.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think it’s top heavy. I generally use two hands when typing anyway so I always have good support. Even typing one handed it doesn’t feel top heavy to me.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone XS Max and I have been using it for the past couple of days and I do notice it hurts my wrist and my hands ache when hold the phone during phone calls.

I know I have talked about this in some of my previous post, but as long as I use both hands when typing and using the device, it’s not an issue.

But when trying to use it with one hand, I have come to realize it’s not for me. I will add that I think a lot of it comes from 30 years of repetitive task like typing that have compounded the issues. It’s hard getting old.

I had my XS sold when I bought the XS Max, but I decided to call the sale off until I tried the Max as my daily driver for a few days and I am glad I did.

For myself, the iPhone X and XS models seem to be the maximum size for my needs and I am afraid the XS Max is going to be sold unfortunately.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone XS Max and I have been using it for the past couple of days and I do notice it hurts my wrist and my hands ache when hold the phone during phone calls.

Speaker phone or AirPods for calls? Not sure anyone would be typing one hand on any plus/max size phone. You need a few weeks not days to adjust.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Speaker phone or AirPods for calls? Not sure anyone would be typing one hand on any plus/max size phone. You need a few weeks not days to adjust.

I do type one handed a lot on my 7 Plus.
And I’m not sure anyone can adjust to pain. If it hurts it will also keep hurting in a few weeks.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't feel much different than earlier plus models and an 8 Plus seems most like it whether that's weight or the glass back.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
My first impression when i held one in store on release day was wow it doesn't feel that big and definitely wasn't top heavy, i was using a 8.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope, my Xs Max is not top heavy. A little heavier compared to my 7 Plus but it's a quality feel type heavy.

harrismail

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
I took the plunge and bought an XS Max.

I like it.

It is a bit top heavy but I think I can live with it. The best thing is of course the screen but also the improved battery life compared to my X.

The build quality is pretty good (and so it should be) but I can feel the "seams" all the way around the phone where the screen meets the frame - nothing sharp but definitely an edge...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I took the plunge and bought an XS Max.

I like it.

It is a bit top heavy but I think I can live with it. The best thing is of course the screen but also the improved battery life compared to my X.

The build quality is pretty good (and so it should be) but I can feel the "seams" all the way around the phone where the screen meets the frame - nothing sharp but definitely an edge...

Welcome to iMore and Congratulations on your new purchase

Enjoy and Post Often

Peaco

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Weight feels fine to me. Coming from an X I felt a slight weight increase initially but now I don’t even notice it.
The larger display and better battery along with much better camera FAR outweigh any slight increase in weight.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A few days ago I had models out of cases on same desk. You notice the difference if you think hard about it and mostly the glass back and Plus or not stands out.

I asked the two around me to handle them all because one is considering the XR phone. She noticed glass backed phones more than size or weight.

Then came people putting them back in their cases. Someone thought a 6S Plus in a fat but common case was too much phone but not XS Max in an Apple leather case.

I cannot turn back on the Max just because of the work features you get with that screen. The usage app shows no games but hours of productivity and reading apps. The Office 365 apps and some others have been considerably less time with a laptop.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711