Hello Everyone,

I got my Max on launch day and I am really happy with my phone.

However, after updating to 12.0.1, I noticed that when I would receive a text message etc, it didn't always play sound, it would just vibrate.

I went to the settings and notifications and checked to see if the sounds were turned on and they were.

I turned the phone off and on and it seemed to work for awhile and then it would do it again.

It is also doing it when I play music or a movie. Sometimes the sound is loud and clear, and other times it sounds like it's only coming from the bottom speaker.

If I turn it off and back on, it fixes the sound but eventually it does it again.

Could this be a software issue or hardware? Thanks in advance for any help!
    10-15-2018 04:00 PM
    Welcome to iMore

Sounds like software but why take the chance.

Make a Genius Bar appointment so they can run a diagnostic on it
    10-15-2018 06:46 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I got my Max on launch day and I am really happy with my phone.

However, after updating to 12.0.1, I noticed that when I would receive a text message etc, it didn't always play sound, it would just vibrate.

I went to the settings and notifications and checked to see if the sounds were turned on and they were.

I turned the phone off and on and it seemed to work for awhile and then it would do it again.

It is also doing it when I play music or a movie. Sometimes the sound is loud and clear, and other times it sounds like it's only coming from the bottom speaker.

If I turn it off and back on, it fixes the sound but eventually it does it again.

Could this be a software issue or hardware? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Do you have an Watch? If so, are you getting the notifications on it in lieu of the iPhone?
    10-15-2018 07:02 PM
    I don’t have an Apple Watch. I might just completely erase the phone and start all over to see if that helps.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-15-2018 07:05 PM
    I don’t have an Apple Watch. I might just completely erase the phone and start all over to see if that helps.
    That was going to be my recommendation. In addition, I would set it up as a new device instead of from a backup.
    judgetom likes this.
    10-15-2018 07:34 PM