USB 2.0 really???

rosi911

Sep 30, 2018
Visit site
I am typing this on an iPhone 5s. I’m long overdue for an upgrade and am looking at the flagship iPhone XS Max, 256GB which I plan to keep for the foreseeable future.

256GB is huge and will hold a ton of music, pictures, and videos.

Now before dropping over $1000 on one I decided to take one last look at the tech specs... Everything looks good on the Apple website, but what I really want to know is how fast can I move data to and from that massive (relatively speaking) storage? Google brought me to GMA Arena and under comm ports, it says USB 2.0 proprietary...

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_xs_max-9319.php

WHAT? Please tell me that’s a misprint. I can’t believe the most recent iPhone is only at USB 2.0 speeds. If so, that would take forever to transfer the music I want to store on it. So just how fast is the lightning port on this thing?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For years, people have been dogging Apple for selling flagship iPhone models with 2 and 3 gigs of RAM, yet they overlook the fact that those same devices outperformed competitors with 2 and 3 times the RAM. My point is this, if the new devices have have USB-2, so what? It’s not going take “forever” to transfer data to and from the device. At least buy the device, transfer some data and then determine whether or not it’s sufficient for your needs. You will 2 weeks to make up your mind before the return period ends.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if we’ve hit our peak yet in, “I’m spending $1,000 on a iPhone but it doesn’t have XYZ” threads.

If usb 2.0 is that much of a dealbreaker then don’t buy it because you’ll be disappointed. At this point in time I don’t think Apple sees iTunes syncing as much of a priority as in the past.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Eventually they will get rid of lightning in favor of USB-C. That will bring faster charging and transfer speeds. Imagine being able to use the 2TB pci-e storage of your iPhone XIIS Ultra Max(r) connected via thunderbolt3 to your Macbook Pro! ;)

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
You'd think a $1,100 phone (at the cheapest) would come with faster charging/faster transfer speeds, but then you'd be wrong. It's unfortunate. It seems like the amount of compromises with this device keeps getting higher and higher.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm a firm believer that if I don't like something I look elsewhere. There are a PLETHORA of smartphones on the market. If one doesn't satisfy my needs/wants I just move along. Why would I come to a dedicated Apple forum and complain about Apple. After all these years, I'm still trying to understand why people do that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It’s been a really long time that I had to synchronize or backup my device with iTunes.
I just don’t see the benefit for my use case to have USB 3.0 on my iPhone.

Having said that, I do agree it’s a miss from Apple’s side to have not included it.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I transferred 100gb of music... I only have to do it once. I didn’t see it as a problem and it didn’t take very long.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm a firm believer that if I don't like something I look elsewhere. There are a PLETHORA of smartphones on the market. If one doesn't satisfy my needs/wants I just move along. Why would I come to a dedicated Apple forum and complain about Apple. After all these years, I'm still trying to understand why people do that.

People are frustrated that they're not getting enough for the amount of money they're paying for a device. I mean, take the 512GB iPhone XS Max. It costs $1,449 and it doesn't come with fast charging, fast transfer, weak cellular connection, it doesn't even charge up when I put in a charging cable when it's asleep, and Apple couldn't even put in a freaking headphone jack dongle into the box. It's not like they're Android fanboys coming in here and complaining. It's real people who've actually purchased the devices. I think people have every right to air their grievances, especially when they shell out a ton of money.

I don't understand why some of you are so dismissive about actual concerns.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Because these things are being disclosed beforehand by Apple. It’s up to the consumer at that point. If someone shells out the money after that then I don’t see how these grievances hold any merit after they make the purchase. And these “concerns” are no longer concerns after the purchase is made.

Thankfully there is a return window.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
People are frustrated that they're not getting enough for the amount of money they're paying for a device. I mean, take the 512GB iPhone XS Max. It costs $1,449 and it doesn't come with fast charging, fast transfer, weak cellular connection, it doesn't even charge up when I put in a charging cable when it's asleep, and Apple couldn't even put in a freaking headphone jack dongle into the box. It's not like they're Android fanboys coming in here and complaining. It's real people who've actually purchased the devices. I think people have every right to air their grievances, especially when they shell out a ton of money.

Oh, I'm well aware what the iPhone comes and doesn't come with, but If a consumer isn't satisfied with their purchase/price/device, then once again there are a PLETHORA of smartphone on the market to choose from. iMore is not Apple. Those grievances should go directly to the source...APPLE. iMore is a forum design to help people with Apple products last I checked, and share there experience good or bad or indererence, but not "bash" the Apple products we choose to use.
When I see and I've seen many over the years a member with one (1) post join and make one negative post and then you never see them again, they're just here to troll and it's annoying. Venting is normal, but to join and just post one negative post after another or just one and never be seen again...is just plain old TROLLING. It's not that we're dismissing actual concerns, but as Apple users we pretty much know what we have in Apple products and have chosen for our smartphone/laptop/tablet/ect devices of choice.

Edit; For the record the Xs/Xs Max does come with fast charging just not a fast charging block. The not being able to charging while sleep is a security measure with a toggle switch in settings to turn on and off, I personally have never had weak cellular connection with my carrier.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The mistake is this: You and others are paying for what you hope it will have instead of what it actually has. It's ridiculous to me for someone in this day and age where information is at one's fingertips 24/7 to buy something and then complain about what it lacks. With the iPhone, there have been a ton of leaks prior to its release to where anyone with internet access could have found out exactly what it looks like as well as its specs long before the device even went on sale.

If you spent all that money without knowing exactly what you were spending it on, then that's on you. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I'm just old school. If something doesn't meet my needs, I won't buy it. Period.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're old school like me, that's why. Our common sense approach is outdated and somewhat unwelcomed these days.....:cool:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You'd think a $1,100 phone (at the cheapest) would come with faster charging/faster transfer speeds, but then you'd be wrong. It's unfortunate. It seems like the amount of compromises with this device keeps getting higher and higher.

Well I guess you no longer have to compromise since you returned your Xs Max to BestBuy on the 28th. Enjoy your Note9. We have a sister site which is also part of Mobile Nations called Android Central where discussions about Android devices are very much welcomed.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
There are a couple of areas Apple cheaps out on, USB 2.0, battery quality and until recently it was the amount of internal storage, but now they offer 64GB as the minimum which for many simply isn't acceptable if you want to take photos or videos it can eat storage like crazy.

The iPad Pro getting USB C is an interesting rumor and if true will be a shocker as they will have to give up control USB C is a standard. This year I finally got what I wanted big screen, 512GB storage wireless charging so I am good until 5G rolls out in a few years on Apple. Maybe by then we will get USB-C to lightning, but I doubt it.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

‘Amount of compromises...’???
I’ve had the XS Max since it’s launch on 9/21 (coming from an iPhone X), and in no way do I feel, nor have I experienced it personally as it being a ‘compromised’ device. I feel it to be a better device in every way than to my prior iPhone X. The XS Max may offer/do little for you, but your experience/opinion of it I would venture to say to be more the exception than the rule for many other owners of it.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I’ve had the XS Max since it’s launch on 9/21 (coming from an iPhone X), and in no way do I feel, nor have I experienced it personally as it being a ‘compromised’ device. I feel it to be a better device in every way than to my prior iPhone X. The XS Max may offer/do little for you, but your experience/opinion of it I would venture to say to be more the exception than the rule for many other owners of it.

Exactly! This is by far the best and fastest phone I've ever had. If it's such an issue, move onto something else.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

You have your opinion and I have my opinion.

Yes, the iPhone XS Max has many compromises when it comes to Android devices of similar price.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711