Currently I have two lines and I am excited at the prospect of E-Sim and only carrying one phone. I had a question on data though.

Will we be able to pick which number we want to use data on? One one line I have unlimited and the other I don't. My primary line has very limited data and I'd like to use the data on my secondary line. Will I be able to pick which line uses data?
    09-27-2018 12:57 PM
    Currently I have two lines and I am excited at the prospect of E-Sim and only carrying one phone. I had a question on data though.

Will we be able to pick which number we want to use data on? One one line I have unlimited and the other I don't. My primary line has very limited data and I'd like to use the data on my secondary line. Will I be able to pick which line uses data?
    From what I have gathered from several news articles: Yes, you can choose what line to use for Data.
    You can even set a line as ‘Primary’ for outgoing calls instead of choosing per call.
    donnation and dazzlingirl like this.
    09-27-2018 01:16 PM
    Yep. You get the choose the ‘Call & Text’ line and the date only one.
    donnation and dazzlingirl like this.
    09-27-2018 01:16 PM
    Thank you for the information!
    Tartarus and dazzlingirl like this.
    09-27-2018 02:56 PM
    Will not be available until IOS 12.1 is release and carrier has to agree to go with it too! All 4 major carriers in U.S. have orally agree.
    09-28-2018 07:18 PM
    Probably won't see this supported before the end of the year at this rate.
    09-29-2018 07:45 AM
    Yeah, US carriers verbal agreements are worth nothing. I am sure they are trying to figure out how to charge $5-10 per month to use a second SIM. I am glad Apple went this route, perhaps in another 2-3 years we can have eSIM only in our phones which would be very nice.
    10-03-2018 06:02 PM
    Yeah, US carriers verbal agreements are worth nothing. I am sure they are trying to figure out how to charge $5-10 per month to use a second SIM. I am glad Apple went this route, perhaps in another 2-3 years we can have eSIM only in our phones which would be very nice.
    Yeah who knows how these carriers are going to handle this. I installed the 12.1 beta 2 and it does enable the eSIM but when I called AT&T they said their systems are not ready to allow and probably by the end of the Month or when 12.1 is officially released. It would be nice if you use two lines from the same carrier like AT&T that the secondary will just be a $5 or $10 add-on rather than a full voice, text & data plan.
    10-03-2018 08:18 PM
    My AT&T rep is going to get me on a pilot to test eSIM functionality. As soon as I am set up I can test and verify

As a side note, if you want to have more than one carrier on a device it needs to be unlocked.

I will have a physical SIM through VzW and the eSIM through AT&T since the VzW devices are still unlocked.
    Tartarus and strikeIII like this.
    10-04-2018 04:31 AM
    Do you have to have an unlocked phone to have dual sim capabilities?
    10-04-2018 08:27 AM
    Do you have to have an unlocked phone to have dual sim capabilities?
    No, but you will only be able to use one carrier on that particular device. With an unlocked device you might be able to have different carriers with eSim, but I doubt it
    Les74 and Tartarus like this.
    10-04-2018 08:37 AM
    No, but you will only be able to use one carrier on that particular device. With an unlocked device you might be able to have different carriers with eSim, but I doubt it

Not the case. If the device is unlocked you can have multiple carriers.
    Les74 likes this.
    10-04-2018 08:40 AM
    Good. I want to use my work number with my personal and both are AT&T. Thanks.
    10-04-2018 08:42 AM
    Not the case. If the device is unlocked you can have multiple carriers.
    Ok will shall see. I wonder how your bill will look? A bill from Verizon for your main number and a bill from AT&T for your eSim? I not sure that would make business sense, but we shall see. Hopefully soon.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-04-2018 08:44 AM
    Yeah you will need to have an active contract for each SIM. It will also be two separate numbers etc.

No different if you have a personal line say through Vzw and a corporate line through VzW. You will still have two bills and two accounts.

If you wanted two numbers on your personal or two on your corporate account, you could do that as well, but would need to pay for a second line of service.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-04-2018 08:52 AM
    Exactly, the eSim and the physical SIM will each have their own unique IMEI number. Your device will be considered two devices instead of one.
    10-04-2018 08:58 AM
    Yeah you will need to have an active contract for each SIM. It will also be two separate numbers etc.

No different if you have a personal line say through Vzw and a corporate line through VzW. You will still have two bills and two accounts.

If you wanted two numbers on your personal or two on your corporate account, you could do that as well, but would need to pay for a second line of service.
    Oh I understand the concept. But do you think AT&T will give you a $10 (estimating) for a eSim number and your main account is with Verizon...nope not going to happen. That would not make any business sense, but once again we shall see.
    10-04-2018 09:02 AM
    Exactly, the eSim and the physical SIM will each have their own unique IMEI number. Your device will be considered two devices instead of one.

This is true...I just check and my Xs Max has a second IMEI number.
    10-04-2018 09:05 AM
    Just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support...yes you will be able to have two different carriers with the eSim only being supported by GSM if your Xs and Xs MAX is unlocked.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209044
    10-04-2018 09:49 AM
    Oh I understand the concept. But do you think AT&T will give you a $10 (estimating) for a eSim number and your main account is with Verizon...nope not going to happen. That would not make any business sense, but once again we shall see.
    In theory no carrier should have to charge extra for the eSim. Just for the line as if you’re using 2 phones.
    That’s why I said what I said about two IMEIs.
    10-04-2018 09:49 AM
    no carrier should have to charge extra for the eSim
    Well that's not going to happen...LOL
    10-04-2018 09:54 AM
    Well that's not going to happen...LOL
    I don’t agree with you. We shall see. I will be correct. I bet my iPhone 7Plus for your Xs Max for it.
    10-04-2018 09:57 AM
    I don’t agree with you. We shall see. I will be correct. I bet my iPhone 7Plus for your Xs Max for it.
    LOL, so you're saying that carriers are not going to charge for a second number?.LOL
    10-04-2018 10:00 AM
    Not sure where the $10 came from. The line would be a full line of service so closer to $50 per month on a corporate plan and $70-$80 for a personal plan.
    10-04-2018 10:05 AM
    Not sure where the $10 came from. The line would be a full line of service so closer to $50 per month on a corporate plan and $70-$80 for a personal plan.
    Ok, without sounding sarcastic, I did put the word "estimate" in parentheses, I was just throwing a number out there, I actually though that was obvious. No, you can't get any full service for $10. Seriously Bamf? However I stand corrected, as long as the device is unlocked and not under contract with a specific carrier you will be able to use the eSim on a GSM network only with another carrier.
    10-04-2018 10:11 AM
38 12