Regarding e-SIMs, will we be able to pick which number we want to use data on?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Oh I understand the concept. But do you think AT&T will give you a $10 (estimating) for a eSim number and your main account is with Verizon...nope not going to happen. That would not make any business sense, but once again we shall see.

Not sure where the $10 came from. The line would be a full line of service so closer to $50 per month on a corporate plan and $70-$80 for a personal plan.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure where the $10 came from. The line would be a full line of service so closer to $50 per month on a corporate plan and $70-$80 for a personal plan.

Ok, without sounding sarcastic, I did put the word "estimate" in parentheses, I was just throwing a number out there, I actually though that was obvious. No, you can't get any full service for $10. Seriously Bamf? However I stand corrected, as long as the device is unlocked and not under contract with a specific carrier you will be able to use the eSim on a GSM network only with another carrier.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can... Add a line on an existing plan, supplying your own equipment is about $10-$15.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
So if you have an AT&T phone or VzW phone and you want to enable the eSIM on the same carrier on your current account you could probably add it for $10-$15. It would be more to add data though.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
LOL, so you're saying that carriers are not going to charge for a second number?.LOL

They will.
If you have AT&T and get a second line with Verizon, they will both charge you fully.

I don’t know what a second line with the same carrier will do, the US carriers are different than in the Netherlands.
Here T-Mobile will charge you for 2 accounts and give you discount because both accounts are on the same address.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
They will.
If you have AT&T and get a second line with Verizon, they will both charge you fully.

I don’t know what a second line with the same carrier will do, the US carriers are different than in the Netherlands.
Here T-Mobile will charge you for 2 accounts and give you discount because both accounts are on the same address.

But you said and I quote "I don’t agree with you. We shall see. I will be correct." concerning carriers charging for the second sim. Now you have had a change of heart..Give me that 7 plus so I can sell it...LOL

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
But you said and I quote "I don’t agree with you. We shall see. I will be correct." concerning carriers charging for the second sim. Now you have had a change of heart..Give me that 7 plus so I can sell it...LOL

Because I misunderstood what you meant.
Just forget about eSim and regular SIM.
Having two lines will be the same as if you’re having two telephones.

Carriers should not charge extra for eSim. They should treat it the same as if it was a conventional SIM Card.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I still want your Xs Max though.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Because I misunderstood what you meant.
Just forget about eSim and regular SIM.
Having two lines will be the same as if you’re having two telephones.

Carriers should not charge extra for eSim. They should treat it the same as if it was a conventional SIM Card.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I still want your Xs Max though.

Not a chance ...LOL

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Oh I understand the concept. But do you think AT&T will give you a $10 (estimating) for a eSim number and your main account is with Verizon...nope not going to happen. That would not make any business sense, but once again we shall see.

I don't think anyone is claiming AT&T will give you a line for $10 if Verizon is your main carrier. What someone suggested is that AT&T might give you a discounted line, for voice and text only (no data), if AT&T is your main provider. Of course, there is always the option of using an AT&T MVNO, that may well only charge $10 or $15 for a voice line.

I don't believe most people want dual SIM using two lines on the same account. The two main uses, at least that I see, are 1) for people that carry two phones, a work and a personal line or 2) people who need coverage in areas their primary carrier doesn't cover well, so run a second SIM from another carrier that gives them coverage in that area.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone is claiming AT&T will give you a line for $10 if Verizon is your main carrier. What someone suggested is that AT&T might give you a discounted line, for voice and text only (no data), if AT&T is your main provider. Of course, there is always the option of using an AT&T MVNO, that may well only charge $10 or $15 for a voice line.

I don't believe most people want dual SIM using two lines on the same account. The two main uses, at least that I see, are 1) for people that carry two phones, a work and a personal line or 2) people who need coverage in areas their primary carrier doesn't cover well, so run a second SIM from another carrier that gives them coverage in that area.

I was just using that (AT&T) as an example. I was more or less thinking that if you did use another carrier with eSim you would probably have to have some kind of full coverage and not a phone only like plan.
There will only be three carriers at fist that will allow dual sim (Verizon, TMO & AT&T) and in my opinion most people want two line for business and personal also but not necessarily due to coverage but because they want to separate business from personal. The big three has basically the same coverage in most areas to be honest...and of course to alleviate caring two devices.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I was just using that (AT&T) as an example. I was more or less thinking that if you did use another carrier with eSim you would probably have to have some kind of full coverage and not a phone only like plan.
There will only be three carriers at fist that will allow dual sim (Verizon, TMO & AT&T) and in my opinion most people want two line for business and personal also but not necessarily due to coverage but because they want to separate business from personal. The big three has basically the same coverage in most areas to be honest...and of course to alleviate caring two devices.

I wasn't meaning to suggest a person with a work line would want a separate line for coverage (short of possibly if they frequently spend time overseas for work) -- that was meant as two separate reasons why people might want the dual SIM capability. I understand, for most, the idea is to have a work and a personal line, and it makes it far easier if you can have both lines in the same phone.

As for the coverage aspect, each carrier has its own areas with poor coverage. To keep using AT&T for example, they have almost no native coverage in Nebraska -- so someone who lives in Kansas but maybe frequently visits family in Nebraska might find it worthwhile to have a limited plan on another carrier, so they aren't frequently using all their roaming, and running out, while in Nebraska visiting.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't meaning to suggest a person with a work line would want a separate line for coverage (short of possibly if they frequently spend time overseas for work) -- that was meant as two separate reasons why people might want the dual SIM capability. I understand, for most, the idea is to have a work and a personal line, and it makes it far easier if you can have both lines in the same phone.

As for the coverage aspect, each carrier has its own areas with poor coverage. To keep using AT&T for example, they have almost no native coverage in Nebraska -- so someone who lives in Kansas but maybe frequently visits family in Nebraska might find it worthwhile to have a limited plan on another carrier, so they aren't frequently using all their roaming, and running out, while in Nebraska visiting.

Yeah, there could be multiple reasons for a second line with different carriers. The Apple Tech also told me that eSim has to be on a GSM network. Of course everything is subject to change.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am getting a second line from a different carrier so I have better data coverage. VzW has fast speeds, but AT&T has better building penetration.

With both I will have better coverage all around. The phone number from AT&T won’t be used for much.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am getting a second line from a different carrier so I have better data coverage. VzW has fast speeds, but AT&T has better building penetration.

With both I will have better coverage all around. The phone number from AT&T won’t be used for much.

Interesting. In my area AT&T isn't good at all especially with building penetration and overall service. Even TMO is better than AT&T in my area. Verizon is the best all around carrier except for pricing.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
My AT&T rep is going to get me on a pilot to test eSIM functionality. As soon as I am set up I can test and verify

As a side note, if you want to have more than one carrier on a device it needs to be unlocked.

I will have a physical SIM through VzW and the eSIM through AT&T since the VzW devices are still unlocked.

Were you able to get on a pilot group through your AT&T rep? My rep returns from vacation on Monday and I'm going to reach out to see if this is possible for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative