Regarding e-SIMs, will we be able to pick which number we want to use data on?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have two lines and I am excited at the prospect of E-Sim and only carrying one phone. I had a question on data though.

Will we be able to pick which number we want to use data on? One one line I have unlimited and the other I don't. My primary line has very limited data and I'd like to use the data on my secondary line. Will I be able to pick which line uses data?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Question on e-Sim

Currently I have two lines and I am excited at the prospect of E-Sim and only carrying one phone. I had a question on data though.

Will we be able to pick which number we want to use data on? One one line I have unlimited and the other I don't. My primary line has very limited data and I'd like to use the data on my secondary line. Will I be able to pick which line uses data?

From what I have gathered from several news articles: Yes, you can choose what line to use for Data.
You can even set a line as ‘Primary’ for outgoing calls instead of choosing per call.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Question on e-Sim

Will not be available until IOS 12.1 is release and carrier has to agree to go with it too! All 4 major carriers in U.S. have orally agree.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, US carriers verbal agreements are worth nothing. I am sure they are trying to figure out how to charge $5-10 per month to use a second SIM. I am glad Apple went this route, perhaps in another 2-3 years we can have eSIM only in our phones which would be very nice.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, US carriers verbal agreements are worth nothing. I am sure they are trying to figure out how to charge $5-10 per month to use a second SIM. I am glad Apple went this route, perhaps in another 2-3 years we can have eSIM only in our phones which would be very nice.
Yeah who knows how these carriers are going to handle this. I installed the 12.1 beta 2 and it does enable the eSIM but when I called AT&T they said their systems are not ready to allow and probably by the end of the Month or when 12.1 is officially released. It would be nice if you use two lines from the same carrier like AT&T that the secondary will just be a $5 or $10 add-on rather than a full voice, text & data plan.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My AT&T rep is going to get me on a pilot to test eSIM functionality. As soon as I am set up I can test and verify

As a side note, if you want to have more than one carrier on a device it needs to be unlocked.

I will have a physical SIM through VzW and the eSIM through AT&T since the VzW devices are still unlocked.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you have to have an unlocked phone to have dual sim capabilities?

No, but you will only be able to use one carrier on that particular device. With an unlocked device you might be able to have different carriers with eSim, but I doubt it

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
No, but you will only be able to use one carrier on that particular device. With an unlocked device you might be able to have different carriers with eSim, but I doubt it

Not the case. If the device is unlocked you can have multiple carriers.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Good. I want to use my work number with my personal and both are AT&T. Thanks.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Not the case. If the device is unlocked you can have multiple carriers.

Ok will shall see. I wonder how your bill will look? A bill from Verizon for your main number and a bill from AT&T for your eSim? I not sure that would make business sense, but we shall see. Hopefully soon.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yeah you will need to have an active contract for each SIM. It will also be two separate numbers etc.

No different if you have a personal line say through Vzw and a corporate line through VzW. You will still have two bills and two accounts.

If you wanted two numbers on your personal or two on your corporate account, you could do that as well, but would need to pay for a second line of service.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, the eSim and the physical SIM will each have their own unique IMEI number. Your device will be considered two devices instead of one.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah you will need to have an active contract for each SIM. It will also be two separate numbers etc.

No different if you have a personal line say through Vzw and a corporate line through VzW. You will still have two bills and two accounts.

If you wanted two numbers on your personal or two on your corporate account, you could do that as well, but would need to pay for a second line of service.

Oh I understand the concept. But do you think AT&T will give you a $10 (estimating) for a eSim number and your main account is with Verizon...nope not going to happen. That would not make any business sense, but once again we shall see.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support...yes you will be able to have two different carriers with the eSim only being supported by GSM if your Xs and Xs MAX is unlocked.
919b514cd43e9f02679604bb0f10805e.png

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209044

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Oh I understand the concept. But do you think AT&T will give you a $10 (estimating) for a eSim number and your main account is with Verizon...nope not going to happen. That would not make any business sense, but once again we shall see.

In theory no carrier should have to charge extra for the eSim. Just for the line as if you’re using 2 phones.
That’s why I said what I said about two IMEIs.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice