Is anyone having an issue with a weaker LTE signal with their new iPhone models?

Jerome86

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Reports saying new iPhones have weaker LTE and WiFi signals. Anyone having any issues? Trying to figure out where my Max stands. Love the phone but hope it’s signal is good as my old 6s plus.

judgetom

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
LTE signal

All of them are blaming the new Intel modem chipset for that. Apple does not install Qualcomm chipsets any more. Same experience was already made last year where there was a discussion re both Modem chipsets.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: LTE signal

Had read about an extra antenna the new phones have that the x didn't, an hoping for better data and call coverage because you know, it is a phone first and foremost

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I haven't noticed any difference on my Verizon Xs Max compared to my 7 Plus. I have three out of four bars where I currently sit in my home as well as while I travel...no difference

Jerome86

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I haven't noticed any difference on my Verizon Xs Max compared to my 7 Plus. I have three out of four bars where I currently sit in my home as well as while I travel...no difference

Sounds good. Think mine is doing same as my old phone. Really like the Max other then the price.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Had read about an extra antenna the new phones have that the x didn't, an hoping for better data and call coverage because you know, it is a phone first and foremost

It's a what? I've never heard of this "phone" you speak of.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site

So one article tells us there's issues and another say it's improved. Now I'm confused.

So Apple will tell us again that we're holding our phones wrong. 🤣

So the way I read that is that most should see some improvement, but that there is always a % with antenna/signal issues out of the plant. Shifting to apple chipset is dicey in this respect. We shall see.
I wish we could see dbm again to see strength signal

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I haven't noticed anything so far. WiFi works all in my house and I have LTE all around town (carrier is Verizon).

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

So the way I read that is that most should see some improvement, but that there is always a % with antenna/signal issues out of the plant. Shifting to apple chipset is dicey in this respect. We shall see.
I wish we could see dbm again to see strength signal

You can always look at it manually with the secret field test menu... it still works.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

This is one of the biggest reasons I have been hesitant to switch to the new iPhone, it's not exactly a secret that Intel modems aren't as good as what Qualcomm puts out and being a T-Mobile user who sometimes struggles indoors with getting signal this has me tapping the brakes on making the switch.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

This is one of the biggest reasons I have been hesitant to switch to the new iPhone, it's not exactly a secret that Intel modems aren't as good as what Qualcomm puts out and being a T-Mobile user who sometimes struggles indoors with getting signal this has me tapping the brakes on making the switch.

The T-Mobile model has always had Intel chips anyway. Also the XS and XS Max have band 71, so if the 600mhz spectrum is built out where you are then you should see better signal indoors.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

The T-Mobile model has always had Intel chips anyway. Also the XS and XS Max have band 71, so if the 600mhz spectrum is built out where you are then you should see better signal indoors.
No such luck on band 71, still have to wait until end of next year for that. I thought the T-Mobile iPhones switched to Intel a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

No such luck on band 71, still have to wait until end of next year for that. I thought the T-Mobile iPhones switched to Intel a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong.

Sorry to hear about the wait. I’m also not sure when the T-Mobile had the Intel chip, I’m not sure if they’ve ever had a different chip. So you can expect what you’ve always gotten then.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

I don’t have a Xs Max but a Xs. I have not seen any problems with ATT in the 5 days I have has the Xs. Performance seems the same as my X was.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner