Is anyone having an issue with a weaker LTE signal with their new iPhone models?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I’m having problems with WIFI. The phone has a hard time connecting to my 5ghz network and drops down the the 2.4ghz or LTE. No problem with my other devices.

Have you done a "Reset Network Settings" ? This has helped many with this same issue

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I’m on the Verizon and my XS Max Has had no LTE or the signal has been really weak in areas where I normally have good signal on my IPhone 7plus . I have a android phone on Verizon also which I’ve started carrying me just to check and it’s getting a strong signal strength were the iPhone XS max is struggling or getting none I’ve also had WiFi issue were is say no connection or internet access when my other devices have a strong signal connected to the same WiFi access point

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I’m on the Verizon and my XS Max Has had no LTE or the signal has been really weak in areas where I normally have good signal on my IPhone 7plus . I have a android phone on Verizon also which I’ve started carrying me just to check and it’s getting a strong signal strength were the iPhone XS max is struggling or getting none I’ve also had WiFi issue were is say no connection or internet access when my other devices have a strong signal connected to the same WiFi access point

I’m in the Dallas Fort Worth also were Verizon has had some signal strength issues in general just for full disclosure But I didn’t have these issues this badly on my 7

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Returned a first XS Max but now have another and have solid reception. T-Mobile full LTE. 133+ Mbps just now.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Where I live I am getting exactly same lte and wifi reception as I had with my 8, haven’t been on the road with it yet though. Here the 8 Has a blue tick rating for better reception in rural areas on our best/biggest telco, the X/XS/Max is not so should be interesting when I do. The S9/Note 9 is.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed weaker LTE signal on my Max compared to my 8 plus on AT&T, I'm almost at my 14 days and don't know if I should swap it out or not and if AT&T will even do that as I don't live near an Apple store.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The coverage on my Max has seemed to be good on T-Mobile, no complaints. My previous phones were unlocked/Verizon models, so I had the Qualcomm modems previously.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
All of them are blaming the new Intel modem chipset for that. Apple does not install Qualcomm chipsets any more. Same experience was already made last year where there was a discussion re both Modem chipsets.

It’s the Intel modem.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Based on my call quality and data speeds and I believe that the LTE and WiFi is fine but the iPhone is displaying the incorrect number of of bars, etc. Just my 2cents

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My LTE signal is trash. Where I live, we recently switched to unlimited data and got rid of WiFi because the WiFi is slower than LTE. On my new phone, however, it keeps telling me I’m not on the internet and it takes forever for any graphics to load. I almost feel like I’m back in the dial up days. Hoping there’s a software fix for this because I absolutely love the screen size on this phone.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My LTE signal is trash. Where I live, we recently switched to unlimited data and got rid of WiFi because the WiFi is slower than LTE. On my new phone, however, it keeps telling me I’m not on the internet and it takes forever for any graphics to load. I almost feel like I’m back in the dial up days. Hoping there’s a software fix for this because I absolutely love the screen size on this phone.

Which carrier are you using?

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Which carrier are you using?

Verizon, and it’s always been outstanding where I live. (Cincinnati)
To put it into perspective, I was trying to watch a YouTube video last night and it wouldn’t play so I grabbed my iPad Pro, which was always waaay slower than my iPhone X, and it played with no issues.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Verizon, and it’s always been outstanding where I live. (Cincinnati)
To put it into perspective, I was trying to watch a YouTube video last night and it wouldn’t play so I grabbed my iPad Pro, which was always waaay slower than my iPhone X, and it played with no issues.

Having switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a couple years ago, this is what has me concerned the most. There hasn't been a dramatic difference in the two other than Verizon having CDMA to fall back on whereas T-Mobile has nothing worth falling back on in my area (Lansing, MI). Usually the only place I struggle to get a signal is at work, some areas I just don't get a signal on my S8 Active, and with Qualcomm being better than Intel in the modem area, I'm a bit hesitant to make the switch.

If I had to guess, your phone might have an issue, hopefully software fix is all that's needed.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
There is a new intel modem and some Verizon and Sprint phones need to be optimized before full speeds will be seen.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: LTE signal

Sounds good. Think mine is doing same as my old phone. Really like the Max other then the price.

My assessment for the most part. There are occasions when I miss the finger as credentials. Brief moments of liking the way matte anodized AL feels vs glass, but the glass is really nice with dry skin.

On performance, I think it depends on the phone company's infrastructure. At this point I've traveled within my region and with my daughter who's got my 7 Plus. The Max never did not work when the 7 Plus did. My phone reported turn on data at a moment when my daughter's 7 Plus was moving between reporting 1x and 3G. Mine said 3g at that moment.

At our cabin I had the same 2 bars from Verizon but speed was faster than I ever sensed with the old phone. I don't know if that was because the Gigabit LTE was there or if a cool weekend in late September meant there was a fraction of the people using Verizon's infrastructure in the area.

For now the phone cellular service seems fine. It's a ways away yet, but I'll have an international trip ahead where there's always been a mix of carriers and at times choosing the CDMA roaming option on past phones. I figured that would be a good test.

On the whole I have a hard time believing Apple would put a poor performer or truly inferior modem in a flagship device that will be sold by the millions. It's really clear to me that selling a truly premium phone is a key strategy in the industry. It is clear Samsung, Alphabet, Apple and others are counting on their premium phones as brand leaders if not profit centers. Risking that core function of a phone would be poor seems crazy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro