The phone is really good if reading and text books are important. Here are screen shots of Kindle and a text book with the iconic Parker Jotter for reference.

I'm not liking the lack of horizontal icon layout and I miss the home button but I believe it's a keeper.

For the heavy and serious readers considering the phone.-dyha2vq.jpg
    For the heavy and serious readers considering the phone.-sontfqp.jpg
    RECON1 likes this.
    09-23-2018 01:08 PM
    That wouldn’t affect me at all since I read novels and other books via my Kindle PaperWhite eReader.
    09-23-2018 01:39 PM
    Kindle app is not yet optimized for the Max resolution. So when it is, the text will looks sharper than what you get today.

To see it in action, try Apple Books app. That supports the Max resolution.
    09-23-2018 02:34 PM
    That wouldn’t affect me at all since I read novels and other books via my Kindle PaperWhite eReader.
    That's great at home but the new phone release is really nice for mobility and packing light.

I won't be tossing out our Kindle but for sure using our less.
    09-23-2018 09:21 PM
    Kindle app is not yet optimized for the Max resolution. So when it is, the text will looks sharper than what you get today.

To see it in action, try Apple Books app. That supports the Max resolution.
    Yes but my area library system is full of Kindle offerings. I'll keep that Apple info in mind for new purchases.

Thank you.
    09-23-2018 09:24 PM
    Yes but my area library system is full of Kindle offerings. I'll keep that Apple info in mind for new purchases.

Thank you.
    It’s just a matter of time. All apps will have to support the resolution. So not going to be an issue.
    09-23-2018 09:50 PM
    Comparing my Kindle Paperwite the max has pretty much the same amount of words per page.
    imwjl likes this.
    09-23-2018 11:56 PM
    Comparing my Kindle Paperwite the max has pretty much the same amount of words per page.
    No offense to my own Kindle, but not taking it on some upcoming travel is another point for the new phone to be a keeper. There will always be reasons for specialty devices but for me this is another important part of how our phones have evolved. The phone will be the only camera and reading device I take for some travel that's ahead.

09-24-2018 07:38 AM
    I have a Kindle... but where is it ?
    imwjl and Annie_8plus like this.
    09-24-2018 01:07 PM
    No offense to my own Kindle, but not taking it on some upcoming travel is another point for the new phone to be a keeper. There will always be reasons for specialty devices but for me this is another important part of how our phones have evolved. The phone will be the only camera and reading device I take for some travel that's ahead.

These days I have no use for a one trick pony. If my device doesn't have multiple uses then it's only because it's not an option. For example, why carry around a calculator, camera and an e-reader when I can carry around an iPhone? Everyones uses vary but for me, I love the consolidation of devices.

Those pictures look nice.
    BreakingKayfabe, trw1602 and H_D like this.
    09-24-2018 01:50 PM
    These days I have no use for a one trick pony. If my device doesn't have multiple uses then it's only because it's not an option. For example, why carry around a calculator, camera and an e-reader when I can carry around an iPhone? Everyones uses vary but for me, I love the consolidation of devices.

Those pictures look nice.
    Although I understand, some of us do not find reading for long periods of time on a smartphone enjoyable. It tires my eyes too quickly, but I’m getting up there in age, too so that could be a reason. The Kindle PaperWhite, doesn’t do that to me so I find reading with it a pleasure.
    09-24-2018 06:13 PM

I agree i prefer the Max for books now, screen is excellent smaller easier to hold, BUT its coming into summer here so if you want to read by the pool/beach or just in sun, iPhone is not as good.
    09-24-2018 06:38 PM
    Coming from the X I am considering the max it's the same size as the pixel 2 xl which is a nice device. I played with one in a store and it's a very nice device I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.
    09-29-2018 06:47 AM