Physical build quality.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I hate the thought of wasting time over this but it is really obvious some bike parts and accessories made of mixed metal, plastic and glass I also just got were assembled better than my new iPhone XS Max.

When my finger rubs one side and corner of the phone it is definitely rougher than the opposite corner or side. Not so bad that it obviously missed deburing and polishing but definitely a “come on Apple” for a laptop priced phone not assembled as well as the bicycle accessories and parts I just got all for $60 - $120.

If comparing to the other stuff is inappropriate, I’ll say not with the assembly quality my early build 7 Plus has.

Guitar playing and activity callused fingers make the problem stand out and I’ll bet winter dry skin will more so. Again, this is not like finish was missed but it is something I’m sure many would notice. The aspect that really frustratres me is Apple should not get away with the big price jump over my last phone and drop the physical build quality at same time.

The time wasting would be the dealing with a fix or replacement and then that time to reload and configure another phone from backup. Also that risk we had with my wife’s watch where the lately reduced support quality at Apple Store added to the time wasted and frustration. I sure hope Apple has the store staffed better than a year ago.

Thx.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I hate the thought of wasting time over this but it is really obvious some bike parts and accessories made of mixed metal, plastic and glass I also just got were assembled better than my new iPhone XS Max.

When my finger rubs one side and corner of the phone it is definitely rougher than the opposite corner or side. Not so bad that it obviously missed deburing and polishing but definitely a “come on Apple” for a laptop priced phone not assembled as well as the bicycle accessories and parts I just got all for $60 - $120.

If comparing to the other stuff is inappropriate, I’ll say not with the assembly quality my early build 7 Plus has.

Guitar playing and activity callused fingers make the problem stand out and I’ll bet winter dry skin will more so. Again, this is not like finish was missed but it is something I’m sure many would notice. The aspect that really frustratres me is Apple should not get away with the big price jump over my last phone and drop the physical build quality at same time.

The time wasting would be the dealing with a fix or replacement and then that time to reload and configure another phone from backup. Also that risk we had with my wife’s watch where the lately reduced support quality at Apple Store added to the time wasted and frustration. I sure hope Apple has the store staffed better than a year ago.

Thx.

Apple is not getting away with anything. If you dislike the price, don't buy the product. I'm not saying that to be mean or disrespectful. Apple is not forcing anyone to pay the price they charge for their products and services. It's not like we absolutely 'need' them. I know I don't. Anyway, I assume you purchased a lemon or something because the build quality of every Apple Product I've ever owned were all top notch. With that being said, I hope things improve for you this time around. Take care.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I would venture to guess you got a lemon. Mine is built very well and all of the corners are smooth and the phone in general looks and feels very well constructed. As with every other  product I’ve owned over the years.

You have to remember these, as with anything else, are ultimately manufactured by imperfect people. Mistakes are bound to happen and get missed by quality control. My friend just bought a brand new M5 BMW a couple months ago. Two days later it was in the shop for an interior defect. $100k car and its already in the shop because something was missed or put together incorrectly. My dads new Dodge Ram had to have the plastic piece that covers the gauges replaced the day he bought it due to a scratch on the inside of it. So it happens.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is the first of many person devices with a problem like that. I provision Apple stuff to my users so I handle a lot.

I'm mostly surprised and bothered that it might be an unproductive time suck. The surprise being all of deburr metal, part fitment, seals, and assembly are not new feats for humans or manufacturing.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess I got a good one...SMOOTH all the way around on my MAX, however if I was unhappy with the physical build quality of a $1,000+ iPhone I would return it ASAP.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Apple is not getting away with anything. If you dislike the price, don't buy the product. I'm not saying that to be mean or disrespectful. Apple is not forcing anyone to pay the price they charge for their products and services. It's not like we absolutely 'need' them. I know I don't. Anyway, I assume you purchased a lemon or something because the build quality of every Apple Product I've ever owned were all top notch. With that being said, I hope things improve for you this time around. Take care.

This very issue surfaced last year during the iPhone 8/X launches. I experienced it with my first 8 Plus and exchanged for a new device. While volumes were low it was indeed a manufacturing issue where there was excessive glue used or the screen assembly went through some form of a mishap while being attached to the phone. When the glue dried it created the rough/sharp feeling along the frame where it did. Some people would run their fingernails up and down over it and the dried up glue would eventually flake off I did not opt to settle for that and as noted got a new device. When I spoke to Apple they said to return/exchange a device with this issue as any potential issues with the glue or assembly could impact water resistance and well most notably, it's not the way the phone was to be manufactured.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
As people have stated, it is merely a manufacturing issue that wasn't caught; it is the exception and most of us don't have that issue with our phones. Apple isn't trying to get away with poor build quality, they want their devices to be solidly constructed. If the build quality isn't up to par on your device, get it replaced by Apple.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is the first of many person devices with a problem like that. I provision Apple stuff to my users so I handle a lot.

I'm mostly surprised and bothered that it might be an unproductive time suck. The surprise being all of deburr metal, part fitment, seals, and assembly are not new feats for humans or manufacturing.

There's not a manufacturer/builder anywhere that puts out perfect quality EVERY time. There is bound to be a defective unit at some point. That's just how it is. Replace it and move on.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Simple reply.. 3% or more of all the devices build will have a flaw. I am pulling that number out of thin air. There is no way their quality control can catch everything. Contact Apple, they will replace the phone. In the past I received a phone with a bad lightning port, and one with bad bluetooth. !#$# happens... Apple will quickly replace. I always seek a resolution before complaining about the product. My Xs-Max so far has zero issue.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Humm, possibly a bad batch. What state are these Apple devices in. I will warn all of my friends to stay away.

Mine came from Verizon. I'm guessing they boxed them in packaging destined for all over the place.

I can see the gasket or material between glass and steel is closer in one corner. I'm staying away from the phone and Apple Stores if possible while they're in the initial zoo mode. I had to go to the Apple Store business team Friday and while that meant I could bypass the lines, it was still a very busy place.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine came from Verizon. I'm guessing they boxed them in packaging destined for all over the place.

I can see the gasket or material between glass and steel is closer in one corner. I'm staying away from the phone and Apple Stores if possible while they're in the initial zoo mode. I had to go to the Apple Store business team Friday and while that meant I could bypass the lines, it was still a very busy place.

Yup. Mine came from Verizon as well with no quality control issues...
42fb414e63ce1c925be720ee920ba27b.heic

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I know what OP is talking about, it’s not a seamless transition between the glass and plastic border or the plastic border and stainless steel frame. However, I think it’s absolutely minimal and I only notice it if I’m trying to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234