Physical build quality.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn’t have this issue. If it did, I’d return it and get one that doesn’t have the issue. If you want to avoid the Apple store I’d call customer service, tell them the issue, and they should be able to send you one.

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I would venture to guess you got a lemon. Mine is built very well and all of the corners are smooth and the phone in general looks and feels very well constructed. As with every other  product I’ve owned over the years.

You have to remember these, as with anything else, are ultimately manufactured by imperfect people. Mistakes are bound to happen and get missed by quality control. My friend just bought a brand new M5 BMW a couple months ago. Two days later it was in the shop for an interior defect. $100k car and its already in the shop because something was missed or put together incorrectly. My dads new Dodge Ram had to have the plastic piece that covers the gauges replaced the day he bought it due to a scratch on the inside of it. So it happens.

Absolutely, these products are mass produced so u have to expect some imperfections although i never had any issues

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I got an XS Max last night. The power/sleep button annoys me already. Unless you hit it squarely in the center it feels spongy and barely any click to it. With the leather case on it's even worse. Not impressed.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I got an XS Max last night. The power/sleep button annoys me already. Unless you hit it squarely in the center it feels spongy and barely any click to it. With the leather case on it's even worse. Not impressed.

I can definitely say this is not my experience with my Xs Max. The power/sleep button on my Xs Max screams quality with no spongyness whatsoever where I press it with or without my Apple Leather case. Maybe a trip to the Genius Bar is in order for your Xs Max.

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I can definitely say this is not my experience with my Xs Max. The power/sleep button on my Xs Max screams quality with no spongyness whatsoever where I press it with or without my Apple Leather case. Maybe a trip to the Genius Bar is in order for your Xs Max.
Not saying it's the norm and I'm sure yours is how you describe.

You're right that there's a trip to the Apple Store. But it will be to return it.

JohnnyForumReader

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I was browsing Best Buy's website this morning and noticed what felt like an abnormal number (more than I have seen for other phones) of "Open Box" iPhone XS Max devices. I wonder why this is? Physical build quality issues (read about a good few here), select few who felt it was too big/heavy compared to what they were using before? I guess there are a few reasons as to why but after reading of rough edge, display tint and reception/signal issues I can't help but think those are the most likely reasons.

I think I may hold off a bit before upgrading. I don't generally do the early adopter thing and don't think I will start now. Want to see what's made of some of these issues, generally there can be behind the scenes manufacturing changes based on initial feedback/issues that surface.

I hope everyone who has an issue free Max is enjoying it. Looks like a beautiful device!

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was browsing Best Buy's website this morning and noticed what felt like an abnormal number (more than I have seen for other phones) of "Open Box" iPhone XS Max devices. I wonder why this is? Physical build quality issues (read about a good few here), select few who felt it was too big/heavy compared to what they were using before? I guess there are a few reasons as to why but after reading of rough edge, display tint and reception/signal issues I can't help but think those are the most likely reasons.

I think I may hold off a bit before upgrading. I don't generally do the early adopter thing and don't think I will start now. Want to see what's made of some of these issues, generally there can be behind the scenes manufacturing changes based on initial feedback/issues that surface.

I hope everyone who has an issue free Max is enjoying it. Looks like a beautiful device!

LOL, so you saw an abnormal amount of "open box" iPhone Xs Max on your BestBuy website? Just to let you know, iPhones do not go on the "open box" bin...They normally go back to Apple. All smartphones are counted daily and BestBuy employees don't repackage and resell smartphones unless this has changed recently and I wasn't informed.

It's amazing how a person with 1 post and recently joined comes into iMore with things they read over the internet and post negativity for every Apple release. I've seen this about a hundred time over the years and it still makes no sense why they feel the need to do this.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Why would I lie? I will take this time to inform that in Canada all Apple products, including iPhone's based on what the website says, can go to the Open Box bin where they can be purchased in store or online and shipped to you. The pricing is generally horrible, meaning the delta between new and open box is often very very minimal but the open box option is there and the discounted price often gets better the more the product ages.

I have no reason to lie and don't overly appreciate being made out as if I am. Not respectful

Attaching a photo.View attachment 124336

Yes, I wasn't even considering Canada's BestBuy inventory. I apologize. It's not about me being disrespectful, it's about seeing trolls over the years and keeping them to a minimal. For the record BestBuy wouldn't increase prices on "open box" items. They would either remain the same price or lower. Was that photo you deleted even real?

JohnnyForumReader

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
LOL, so you saw an abnormal amount of "open box" iPhone Xs Max on your BestBuy website? Just to let you know, iPhones do not go on the "open box" bin...They normally go back to Apple. All smartphones are counted daily and BestBuy employees don't repackage and resell smartphones unless this has changed recently and I wasn't informed.

It's amazing how a person with 1 post and recently joined comes into iMore with things they read over the internet and post negativity for every Apple release. I've seen this about a hundred time over the years and it still makes no sense why they feel the need to do this.

Why would I lie? I will take this time to inform that in Canada all Apple products, including iPhone's based on what the website says, can go to the Open Box bin where they can be purchased in store or online and shipped to you. The pricing is generally horrible, meaning the delta between new and open box is often very very minimal but the open box option is there and the discounted price often gets better the more the product ages.

I have no reason to lie and don't appreciate being made out as if I am. Especially by a Moderator.

Not respectful.

Attaching a photo to show you. See, I am not a liar :)

Oh and where have I posted negativity in this thread comment? The issues I make mention of are issues I have read about on THIS forum by fellow members. Because this is the first post, you come at me like that? Because I choose not to be an early adopter I am somehow bashing Apple? I believe I said the product is a beautiful device and that I hope everyone who has an issue free device is enjoying it. And the fact I said I may hold off a bit before upgrading says I plan to upgrade to the XS Max at some point, just not right now.

Wow, really nice introduction and early impression of interacting on iMore. Sure hope all Moderators are not as negative and disrespectful as you. I've said or done nothing wrong here.

iPhone XS Max Certified Open Box.JPG

PS - 85% of my tech is Apple. Including my phone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I have no reason to lie and don't appreciate being made out as if I am. Especially by a Moderator.

Not respectful.

Attaching a photo to show you. See, I am not a liar :)

Oh and where have I posted negativity in this thread comment? The issues I make mention of are issues I have read about on THIS forum by fellow members. Because this is the first post, you come at me like that? Because I choose not to be an early adopter I am somehow bashing Apple? I believe I said the product is a beautiful device and that I hope everyone who has an issue free device is enjoying it. And the fact I said I may hold off a bit before upgrading says I plan to upgrade to the XS Max at some point, just not right now.

Wow, really nice introduction and early impression of interacting on iMore. Sure hope all Moderators are not as negative and disrespectful as you. I've said or done nothing wrong here.

View attachment 124337

PS - 85% of my tech is Apple. Including my phone.

As a Moderator I am supposed to keep Spammers/trolls out of the forum, but thanks for posting. Once again I wasn't being disrespectful, but just found it odd that your first post wasn't to introduce yourself, but to inform the members of iMore how many Xs Max has been returned to BestBuy.

JohnnyForumReader

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I wasn't even considering Canada's BestBuy inventory. I apologize. It's not about me being disrespectful, it's about seeing trolls over the years and keeping them to a minimal. For the record BestBuy wouldn't increase prices on "open box" items. They would either remain the same price or lower. Was that photo you deleted even real?

I concur, the prices would not increase. What I meant is the discounted price is initially not a whole lot lower than the brand new price. Sometimes it can be so close you shake your head at it, but over time as the product ages they tend to discount (lower) the price more.

Is the photo even real? The second time you have implied I have lied. Seriously? This is how iMore treats new members?

I encourage you to go to the Canadian Best Buy website and check it out for yourself. The image I shared was directly from their online page.

You know I'll save this correspondence and share it where I can. I will also reach out to those spearheading Mobile Nations so they can see the treatment. It's the only forum within Mobile Nations where I have been treated like this.

Mobile Nations as a whole has not lost me but iMore sure has. Unbelievably poor experience.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I concur, the prices would not increase. What I meant is the discounted price is initially not a whole lot lower than the brand new price. Sometimes it can be so close you shake your head at it, but over time as the product ages they tend to discount (lower) the price more.

Is the photo even real? The second time you have implied I have lied. Seriously? This is how iMore treats new members?

I encourage you to go to the Canadian Best Buy website and check it out for yourself. The image I shared was directly from their online page.

You know I'll save this correspondence and share it where I can. I will also reach out to those spearheading Mobile Nations so they can see the treatment. It's the only forum within Mobile Nations where I have been treated like this.

Mobile Nations as a whole has not lost me but iMore sure has. Unbelievably poor experience.

No problem. Like I said I've seen spammers and trolls alike over the years and I'm just trying to keep them at a minimal. Have a nice day.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Most are issue free. Some issues may be in the software, not the phone itself. Apple is good about updates to fix many issues. Some issues are created by the user. That's what we're here for, to help users in need. If it's a definite hardware issue, Apple will replace it within the 14 day window. With AppleCare, you get longer for many hardware defects. I never pay attention to reviews on sites. If there are problems, they'll show up here on iMore. Welcome, by the way.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You know I'll save this correspondence and share it where I can.

Welcome to the forum. Please don’t take this the wrong way but... are we back in high school??? Spencer has been a great moderator and contributor to iMore. You have to keep in mind that, as with most forums, some people join just to be a troll. I’ve spent a lot of time on both Android Central and here (and CrackBerry). Generally there are more people who come here to bash Apple than the other way around. Not sure why that is but it is something I’ve noticed over the years. Maybe he had a bad day. Please don’t come here and think the whole forum is bad just because of one person. I’ve been on many Apple related forums and this one, by far, is better than the rest in my opinion.

To answer you initial question though.... there may be more open box phones for many reasons. Buyer remorse, something quality control missed, spouse found out how much you paid. I do recall also seeing something about how Apple manufactured more phones this year to help with stocking issues this year. If that was in fact the case that could attribute to quality control issues. Seems like there have been more people complaining about quality issues this year.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

If that's the case, exchange it. I have not heard this on any forum, and I don't have this issue or complaint.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73