iPhone XS Max Battery Only 3174 mAh?!

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
One thing Apple has to get better at is putting more battery into it's phones.

I am a day to day Apple user, in terms of my phone (8 Plus), Macbook and iPad. I also have a Note 8 that I will use periodically when I want to switch things up.

Reading this article, I was left to think the iPhone XS Max battery is 3174 mAh while the Note 9 is 4000 mAh. That's a lot more battery, heck the S9+ is 3500 mAh and the S9 is close to the XS Max at 3000 mAh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ry-life-price-release-date-cost/#7a2bd461408b

Just a thought, imagine how good the batteries really could be? I know iOS is way more efficient so battery goes a lot further however the point of the post is to think about just how long our batteries could last if they were level in terms of the mAh they are putting in our phones.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps the iPhone is simply more efficient, and doesn't need the big specs. I know that's the case with RAM. The iPhone is not an Android device. Comparing specs is like Apples and Oranges.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the iPhone is simply more efficient, and doesn't need the big specs. I know that's the case with RAM. The iPhone is not an Android device. Comparing specs is like Apples and Oranges.

But there is a direct correlation to more battery life and a larger battery. I think that's simply the OPs point.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
But there is a direct correlation to more battery life and a larger battery. I think that's simply the OPs point.

That may be so, but for Apple it’s also about aesthetics and the added weight that comes with a larger battery.
I don’t think that Apple hasn’t looked into this and did some research before they decided on the current battery capacity per device.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That may be so, but for Apple it’s also about aesthetics and the added weight that comes with a larger battery.
I don’t think that Apple hasn’t looked into this and did some research before they decided on the current battery capacity per device.

Yes I completely agree

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing Apple has to get better at is putting more battery into it's phones.

I am a day to day Apple user, in terms of my phone (8 Plus), Macbook and iPad. I also have a Note 8 that I will use periodically when I want to switch things up.

Reading this article, I was left to think the iPhone XS Max battery is 3174 mAh while the Note 9 is 4000 mAh. That's a lot more battery, heck the S9+ is 3500 mAh and the S9 is close to the XS Max at 3000 mAh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ry-life-price-release-date-cost/#7a2bd461408b

Just a thought, imagine how good the batteries really could be? I know iOS is way more efficient so battery goes a lot further however the point of the post is to think about just how long our batteries could last if they were level in terms of the mAh they are putting in our phones.

"The iPhone 8 Plus will have a 2,675mAh battery, compared to the iPhone 7 Plus' 2,900mAh battery."

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16307588/iphone-8-plus-battery-size-compared-iphone-7

The iPhone 8 Plus lasts all day and then some and only has a 2675mAh battery. Power efficiency of the OS and phone hardware are more important than just a big battery.

briareos4

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure the XS Max battery will be just fine... (when mine finally gets here). But I understand the thought. How many iPhone users would sacrifice some weight and a slightly thicker phone if Apple ever decided to put like a 3800-4000mah battery in - coupled with the super-efficiency the hardware and IOS provide? I would guarantee it'd outsell the rest of the lineup if they ever did have an 'endurance' model.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Has long a I can get a full days worth of battery life and and wake up the next day on 10-20% battery left then I’m more than happy. Bigger battery isn’t always going to get you better battery life. Optimisation is key.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Oh I agree, battery life will be fine but the point I was getting at was with the efficiency of iOS and the ability to have a bigger battery in the phone just think of how much more SOT we could get before having to charge. That's all.
I think the battery will do fine. Apple usually has that area handled.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Note 9 has a 4000 mAh battery but at the same time weighs less. It's doable.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh I agree, battery life will be fine but the point I was getting at was with the efficiency of iOS and the ability to have a bigger battery in the phone just think of how much more SOT we could get before having to charge. That's all.

I mean yeah I get it but I don't think it's truly an issue. You could always play the "what if" game.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
The battery stats are a little misleading. The total screen on time it lists includes the time I used the device while it was charging too. Any way to see just straight battery usage?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
When has comparing Apple products to the competition spec to spec ever been a true comparison of actual performance? I remember working at Circuit City 20 years ago and having customers try to argue that PCs were better than Macs because they had more RAM and faster processors.
Let's compare benchmarks.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
When has comparing Apple products to the competition spec to spec ever been a true comparison of actual performance?

That is an absolutely valid question. iPhones are not spec sheet warriors when you line em up with Androids but in daily use, they run neck to neck.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That is an absolutely valid question. iPhones are not spec sheet warriors when you line em up with Androids but in daily use, they run neck to neck.

Exactly. The cement truck I passed on the road yesterday must be faster because it has a bigger engine, right?
By the way, I'm adding "spec sheet warrior" to my everyday vocabulary.