AMOLED Panel —Samsung or LG?

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone concerned with the possibility of getting an AMOLED panel manufactured by LG rather than Samsung? Is there a way to know which AMOLED panel your iPhone XS Max got?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I were ordering an iPhone XS, it wouldn't bother me at all as long as it worked properly.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I thought all 2018 devices come with LG screens anyway.

That's correct from my understanding. I think there's been some poor wording and misinformation from some of the lazier tech journalists around. I

can't imagine Apple ever splitting suppliers for the same device. Not to mention the logistic headaches and QC issues with doing something like that.

anon(8115241)

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
From what I have read, they are saying LG just passed the test so those who pre ordered might not get LG screens. They have not even started to make them as yet. They will start probably month end.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The P-OLED displays in the Pixel 2 XLs last year were manufactured by LG and they looked like crap. Hopefully LG makes better AMOLED displays.

anon(8115241)

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
LG makes the screen but they dont do calibration. Google did the calibration. Same as when samsung making the screens and apple calibrating it. That wasnt LG'S FAULT

briareos4

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
The way the articles read, it seems like LG only recently passed Apple’s tests and just got approved. Articles say LG is just now getting their factories ready. So I’m guessing all the initial builds will be Samsung AMOLEDs and perhaps LG will pickup on later mfg runs. In either case, I wouldn’t worry where my display came from. I’ll trust Apple to not release wide variances in quality.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It should be okay. Apple wouldn’t have went with LG if the quality did not meet their expectations. I’m sure they’ve done many tests too.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's correct from my understanding. I think there's been some poor wording and misinformation from some of the lazier tech journalists around. I

can't imagine Apple ever splitting suppliers for the same device. Not to mention the logistic headaches and QC issues with doing something like that.

They used two suppliers for the cpu on the 6s (Samsung and TSMC)

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
From what I have read, they are saying LG just passed the test so those who pre ordered might not get LG screens. They have not even started to make them as yet. They will start probably month end.

You're right and I stand corrected. I thought the deal was signed (i.e. completed) this summer back in June/July, but the latest reads say otherwise it seems.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/lg-apple-deal-supply-oled-lcd-panels-2018-iphones/

Regardless, I'm sure Apple won't budge a inch on their QC and the panels will be stellar.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Given how stringent Apple can be on their build quality, I doubt they would have added LG into the mix if they couldn't deliver on the product, quality and quantity. The question is did one get the XS and the other get the XS Max and if so who got which.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes being in the know on these things isn’t a positive. No need to overthink things like this.
I wish I wasn't in the know, after 8 2xl's 3 of which the screen separated or died in less than a few weeks still concerns me.

The 7/7+ jet black had casing issues and red iPhone having numerous random issues and the red peeling/flaking like crazy. Yellowgate every year and bendgate, etc. So I could see them using LG's screens and even the crappy ones. Not like they won't exchange your device if you get a bad screen.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
My X has nearly perfect uniformity and tone. Not concerned about the new ones. Apple usually does this right.
In the past with SEC, I've seen lots of screen QC issues. They have gotten better as well especially with the S9+ and Note 9 this year. True tone on an AMOLED display is amazing. Those of you upgrading from LCD devices are in for a treat.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Once the phones arrive iFixit will likely offer up a teardown and we will know who made their display. My guess would be they opted for one manufacturer for each display so they can manage QC issues should they arise.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711