Wait until next year. Original X is just fine.

RTakher209

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
As much as I want the bigger screen, the X will do just fine for another cycle. Besides the A12 and a bit longer battery life, there’s nothing new. Can’t spend another $1000 or more on the same phone!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As much as I want the bigger screen, the X will do just fine for another cycle. Besides the A12 and a bit longer battery life, there’s nothing new. Can’t spend another $1000 or more on the same phone!

Yep, I’m not tempted at all to get one of the iPhones introduced today. That’s a first for me in quite some time.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, it’s just the same phone! Hardly any difference whatsoever. Disappointing :(

I see it quite the opposite to be fair. I was actually relieved to see how relevant my current X, which I really struggled to justify the cost of last year, still is. The fact the new ones aren’t all that much better makes it easier to go another year with my X which makes my original purchase much better value for money now. I’ll wait for next years which will likely be a bigger upgrade and hopefully have a much better FID and embedded TID in the screen

anon(6014961)

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I see it quite the opposite to be fair. I was actually relieved to see how relevant my current X, which I really struggled to justify the cost of last year, still is. The fact the new ones aren’t all that much better makes it easier to go another year with my X which makes my original purchase much better value for money now. I’ll wait for next years which will likely be a bigger upgrade and hopefully have a much better FID and embedded TID in the screen

My thoughts exactly :)

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
My thoughts exactly :)

Dare I say it though, don’t wanna jinx it, but this may even be the first time I go 3 years with the same phone. I still got AC+ till next November, and with the promise of iOS 12 making older devices perform better, this could finally happen for me. I’ve always been quietly jealous of people who manage that

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree about the minimal differences between the X and the new models. There’s something about that 6.5” that tempts me.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Bigger screen AND 512GB of storage are key for me, I feel this update will carry me until 5G is properly rolled out and apple supports it which could take 2-3 years. We all know they are trying to avoid the high patent royalty costs so expect the phones to get even pricier in the years to come.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Huge difference if your on T-Mobile since it supports band 71 and their Extended LTE network. It takes the network to another level. Trust me I know from the Samsung s9 plus that I had that supports that.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Differences aren’t as stark but I am still going to upgrade because I’m a geek .... or just stupid. But i’m kind of excited.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I decided last year if Apple made a plus sized X style phone I was upgrading, so I was happy with the announcement of the (ridiculously named) iPhone XS Max. My wife doesn’t care for the larger phones so she is keeping her iPhone X.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Same.
What’s different?
Gold colour, 512GB of storage and A12 Fusion.

My Silver is fine (and in a case anyway), 64GB is plenty for me and A11 Fusion does its job perfectly and is already lightning fast.

So, for the first time ever, I’ll pass on this one!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m in agreement. I honestly didn’t even struggle with this decision. I have zero desire to upgrade from my X. The cost just doesn’t make sense for me. My X is awesome. I’m looking forward to next year. I imagine the next iPhone will truly feel like an upgrade at that point. This will be the first year I go without getting a new iPhone in a long time.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just a question so i have a better perspective, are people who are concerned about the price buying the phones outright or in the iUP? I’m not suggesting that the phones aren’t expensive or trying to justify the price.

I am upgrading my X to the Xs Max and the price difference in the iUP is $4/mo. I’m not arguing for or against the price issue, just wondering.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just a question so i have a better perspective, are people who are concerned about the price buying the phones outright or in the iUP? I’m not suggesting that the phones aren’t expensive or trying to justify the price.

I am upgrading my X to the Xs Max and the price difference in the iUP is $4/mo. I’m not arguing for or against the price issue, just wondering.

I *think* a good deal of people are taking advantage of the upgrade program. It’s arguably the smarter route if you’re not going to keep your device longer than a year without handing it down to a family member or something.

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

They don’t offer iUP in my country. So I’ve always payed full price upfront.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I was going to upgrade my wife's 6S Plus with an 8 Plus but decided to wait until the XS Max came out so she could decide if she wanted that instead. Of course that means all new cases for her and she really hates upgrading her Disney cases.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
for the first time in, well, ever, I’m planning on keeping a phone for 2 years. That’s how satisfied I am with the X.