Wait until next year. Original X is just fine.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Differences aren’t as stark but I am still going to upgrade because I’m a geek .... or just stupid. But i’m kind of excited.

This is the most “real” position I’ve read about upgrading from the X. All the people claiming they’re not upgrading because their X will be just fine for another year seem like they’re trying to rationalize a decision that’s not really based on what the rationalization is.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
This is the most “real” position I’ve read about upgrading from the X. All the people claiming they’re not upgrading because their X will be just fine for another year seem like they’re trying to rationalize a decision that’s not really based on what the rationalization is.

There is a reason I signed up for Apple Upgrade Program when it was launched. So, yea, in this case it’s more about having to experience the latest Apple can offer than really looking into “it serves me well, why should I upgrade”.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
There is a reason I signed up for Apple Upgrade Program when it was launched. So, yea, in this case it’s more about having to experience the latest Apple can offer than really looking into “it serves me well, why should I upgrade”.

Anyone with “last years” model iPhone can justify not getting the new version. That has always been true. Even 5s to 6 which was the biggest jump forward until the X. If you’re deciding whether to upgrade based on if you “need” to or not you’re doing it wrong.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The iPhone Upgrade Program seems like a lease. I don't like the thought of just leasing something to give back to Apple after 12 months. That's why I don't use the iUP. I'd rather pay full retail price and be done with it. I can understand the iUP can be great for those who don't want to pay full price for something that expensive, especially if they're only going to keep it for 12 months.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone Upgrade Program seems like a lease. I don't like the thought of just leasing something to give back to Apple after 12 months. That's why I don't use the iUP. I'd rather pay full retail price and be done with it. I can understand the iUP can be great for those who don't want to pay full price for something that expensive, especially if they're only going to keep it for 12 months.

Ditto! Just buy the phone and it's done, paid off, sim free and I can sell it on Swappa if I want w/o issue, trade it in, use it for an upgrade, etc. I was on the AT&T Next for a while, and even though it's interest free, I would rather just buy the phone and be done with it. I don't have to check if 50% was paid off before I get an upgrade. I have an iPhone 8+ now, I could have gone another year, who knows. With the iPhone XsMax maybe I keep it a year, maybe two... at least I don't have to let a "program" decide.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

You’re going to lose money on it either way. I guess in the end it doesn’t make much difference.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of people saying the same thing as soon as you buy a new device the leaks for the next phone leak out.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For me the XS Max finally offers everything I would need in my phone, large screen, massive storage and it will last a long time, so I am ready to settle in to wait for 5G.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
For me the XS Max finally offers everything I would need in my phone, large screen, massive storage and it will last a long time, so I am ready to settle in to wait for 5G.

It seems like it will be future proof now until next year when they release a 6.7 4K SuperLED screen with a A13 Supersonic processor, 6 gigs of RAM and a TB of storage.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
It seems like it will be future proof now until next year when they release a 6.7 4K SuperLED screen with a A13 Supersonic processor, 6 gigs of RAM and a TB of storage.

In all seriousness though, the next iOS version (whatever is called 13 or 14) is gonna have a major overhaul and I think such changes will need the A12 Bionic’s power to push it further so I am convinced Xs is a good investment for the next 2 years.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I personally upgraded to the XS Max because I really do miss having a larger screen, that being said, I don't know how happy I will be with it, I am gonna try it for the 2 weeks period. I absolutely love my X, there is nothing wrong with it.

I tried to convince my boyfriend to upgrade but he doesn't care for the XS line at all. He will keep his X for 2 years, and so will everyone else in my family.

I was the only one who got the XS Max

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
For me, I'll probably continue to upgrade every year because its convenient. As long as I don't bust the screen, Verizon will take my phone back every year on the upgrade. I find myself being able to enjoy my phone more and not worry so much about keeping the phone perfect for resale. That being said, this year is a little different. I didn't feel like my current X was obsolete and I managed to keep it in near mint condition, so my wife is getting it and I am using her upgrade to get my Max. My son is keeping his 8. We usually do at least 2 or sometimes 3 upgrades every year, this will be the first time we are just doing one.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
In all seriousness though, the next iOS version (whatever is called 13 or 14) is gonna have a major overhaul and I think such changes will need the A12 Bionic’s power to push it further so I am convinced Xs is a good investment for the next 2 years.

Yes, but next year I can get the XI (or whatever they call it) with the A13 (and I have to think they'll change the name of the chip) processor to better run the new iOS version (and I don't think it will be 13). There is no reason to buy the Xs now because of improvements to iOS next year.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but next year I can get the XI (or whatever they call it) with the A13 (and I have to think they'll change the name of the chip) processor to better run the new iOS version (and I don't think it will be 13). There is no reason to buy the Xs now because of improvements to iOS next year.

If a normal user with a 8+ or X asks advice, yes, will say wait. But for Apple nerds like me, he’ll yea, if you are on upgrade program, upgrade! :)

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If a normal user with a 8+ or X asks advice, yes, will say wait. But for Apple nerds like me, he’ll yea, if you are on upgrade program, upgrade! :)

I"m not trying to argue with those who decide to upgrade, just stating that upgrading because of what iOS might do next year isn't a particularly good reason. That's why they'll be releasing a phone next year. ;)

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Holding steady with my X. Feels weird not to pre-order though. I have zero interest the XS Max. The 6.5” screen is tempting but I never used a Plus size device and am not starting now. That said, Apple bet WOW me next Fall with a new design (fingers crossed)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have an 8+ barely a year old and in perfect, like new shape. There is zero reason to upgrade. My iPhone Xs-Max will be here Friday. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox