iPhone XR Dual-SIM (T-Mobile & AT&T)

Dusteater

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone with an iPhone XR (Or XS) used both the physical SIM and the eSIM on different carriers? I'm curious to know how the experience is, what you had to do to get it unlocked, etc. I also assume that since only one SIM can connect to data at a time, the other SIM will lose out on things like visual voicemail, etc.

I am hoping to combine my personal and work lines onto a single device.

Dusteater

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I just talked to T-Mobile, they said if you buy the iPhone XR from them only the physical SIM is locked. The eSIM is unlocked.

maj71303

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone XS with T-Mobile on esim and Sprint in the physical sim. It works great for someone like me with 3 lines of service between different providers. Only one line can be used for iMessage and FaceTime and the other will be regular text. Only one can be used for calls during use but both have dual standby when your not on a call. you can set it it to use one or the other for call, text, & data or mix and match which one will be the data sim. Visual voicemails for either line will come once you are off a call and it's back to dual standby but takes a little minute.

As I was informed if you by from a carrier and the physical sim is locked to that carrier the esim is as well locked. I got mine directly from apple so no problems dealing with locked devices. This was a good move from apple as it caters to people like me that has more than one line. T-mobile doesn't offer postpaid esim(coming soon) only prepaid right now and finding a CSR that will do it for postpaid now is far and few between. I got mine done early morning via iMessage T-mobile CSR. Only Verizon and ATT offer postpaid esim support at this time. Sprint doesn't have any kind of plan up yet for esim as they sell SIM cards the same as T-mobile. Those two are trying to figure out how to charge for them before they offer them to postpaid customers.

Dusteater

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I have an iPhone XS with T-Mobile on esim and Sprint in the physical sim. It works great for someone like me with 3 lines of service between different providers. Only one line can be used for iMessage and FaceTime and the other will be regular text. Only one can be used for calls during use but both have dual standby when your not on a call. you can set it it to use one or the other for call, text, & data or mix and match which one will be the data sim. Visual voicemails for either line will come once you are off a call and it's back to dual standby but takes a little minute.

As I was informed if you by from a carrier and the physical sim is locked to that carrier the esim is as well locked. I got mine directly from apple so no problems dealing with locked devices. This was a good move from apple as it caters to people like me that has more than one line. T-mobile doesn't offer postpaid esim(coming soon) only prepaid right now and finding a CSR that will do it for postpaid now is far and few between. I got mine done early morning via iMessage T-mobile CSR. Only Verizon and ATT offer postpaid esim support at this time. Sprint doesn't have any kind of plan up yet for esim as they sell SIM cards the same as T-mobile. Those two are trying to figure out how to charge for them before they offer them to postpaid customers.

Well I got my XR and it turns out they lied to me before I bought it. The eSIM is indeed locked. I had no choice but get it from the carrier directly because the company I work for buys them that way. Now I have to request an unlock and wait who knows how long until they do it.

Dusteater

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I was able to get my eSIM unlocked by T-Mobile, so now I have AT&T on that and T-Mobile on the physical SIM. Some items to note, I have data active on AT&T, so I cannot use MMS or voicemail for example on my T-Mobile line. That's a pretty big annoyance. Anyone else using dual SIM and running into all kinds of issues?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
so I cannot use MMS or voicemail for example on my T-Mobile line.

I had dual-sim going for a couple of months for both of my lines but they were on the same carrier, Verizon. MMS and voicemail worked just fine for the line that wasn't designated for the data on the phone itself. I'm not sure if that's the case with two different carriers though. Hopefully we'll get someone to chime in. But your situation doesn't sound right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro