XR Camera better than 8 Plus?

Beantool

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I’m due an upgrade in January and have narrowed down my choices to a 256GB XR or 256GB XS. I’m turning my nose at the Max because I already feel my 8 Plus is too big. I do however LOVE the form factor of the XR but am worried about taking a downgrade in the camera department. After using the amazing camera of the 8 Plus at a recent dance recital for my daughter I don’t think I could stomach a camera downgrade at this point.

Would upgrading to the XR mean a consequent downgrade in the camera or are they comparable? Or do I need to go ahead and upgrade to a dual lens system (a la XS) to maintain the same stellar camera performance??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Each year people rave about how great the camera is on their iPhone and how amazing the photos look. I’m speaking generally, of course. With that in mind, if Apple had not upgraded the camera on each new iPhone model we would still rave about the photo quality of our current device.

The camera on the iPhone XR is just as great as the cameras on Apple’s other iPhone models. With the other models, you get a few more options, but the camera itself takes the same awesome photos.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
As @Just_Me_D said the XR camera is just as good, in fact it's the exact same camera as the primary camera on the XS and XS Max. Because the XS & XS Max have a secondary camera, this DOES open up some other options, HOWEVER, some of the functions are also available via software on the XR. And having only 1 rear camera is NOT that big of a deal, just look at what Google does with 1 camera on the Pixel lines.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
As @Just_Me_D said the XR camera is just as good, in fact it's the exact same camera as the primary camera on the XS and XS Max. Because the XS & XS Max have a secondary camera, this DOES open up some other options, HOWEVER, some of the functions are also available via software on the XR. And having only 1 rear camera is NOT that big of a deal, just look at what Google does with 1 camera on the Pixel lines.
...except what Google does with one camera is so much better than what Apple can do with one camera. Hell, Apple won't allow you to take portrait photos of non-humans.

Redx

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I think the camera is definitely better than 8 plus. I just switched from 8 plus to xr and surprised how great the pics look. I was worried that not having the 2x camera would be an issue. But in the store I took pictures with my 8 plus on 2x camera and the xr single camera but zoomed in to same amount. The xr zoomed in picture was better than the 8 plus 2x picture.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods