Switched from an XS max

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I purchased the 256GB iPhone XR in coral yesterday. I love the color. I sold my 512GB gold iPhone XS Max on Swappa for $1300. Honestly, I feel better spending the money on the XR than I ever did on the XS Max. I thought the XS Max cost too much. I don't miss it at all, especially since 95% of the things in the Max can be found in the XR. It's stupid that Apple doesn't allow portrait mode on non-humans, but meh. I'm carrying around a Google Pixel 3 XL for my portrait photo needs, especially since it does the job 1,000 times better than the Max did anyways.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I purchased the 256GB iPhone XR in coral yesterday. I love the color. I sold my 512GB gold iPhone XS Max on Swappa for $1300. Honestly, I feel better spending the money on the XR than I ever did on the XS Max. I thought the XS Max cost too much. I don't miss it at all, especially since 95% of the things in the Max can be found in the XR. It's stupid that Apple doesn't allow portrait mode on non-humans, but meh. I'm carrying around a Google Pixel 3 XL for my portrait photo needs, especially since it does the job 1,000 times better than the Max did anyways.

A 512 GB iPhone is way too much. Depending on tax rate where somebody is, it’s a $1560 phone here. It’s sucks you had to lose that though for a phone that you had 2 months tops. Between sale fee, shipping, and PayPal it all adds up.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I think it speaks volumes that all of us "techies" on these forums are switching to the XR. All the YouTube tech reviewers I watch also use the XR now....it's pretty fascinating. I do miss the OLED screen, that is probably my biggest compromise right now that I am slightly struggling with. I wish they made this 6.1 size in an OLED version. LCD is such old technology for smartphones now.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think it speaks volumes that all of us "techies" on these forums are switching to the XR. All the YouTube tech reviewers I watch also use the XR now....it's pretty fascinating. I do miss the OLED screen, that is probably my biggest compromise right now that I am slightly struggling with. I wish they made this 6.1 size in an OLED version. LCD is such old technology for smartphones now.

I agree, it really is interesting. I get it though, considering that it is the midrange size that has never existed before and other things of course. Unlike the time when the 8 series and the X came out last year, you can have a lot of the same things (even design, in a general sense I mean) for less.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree, it really is interesting. I get it though, considering that it is the midrange size that has never existed before and other things of course. Unlike the time when the 8 series and the X came out last year, you can have a lot of the same things (even design, in a general sense I mean) for less.

Right, it's all so similar. Just wish they didn't put older technology screen in this thing or else I'd be totally sold. For me being into tech, I am not buying the XR for price reasons, so I don't have an issue buying the XS just don't know if I need to coming from an X. There really isn't enough of a difference in speed and camera to warrant the price increase.

Still struggling as we speak haha I can't decide

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Right, it's all so similar. Just wish they didn't put older technology screen in this thing or else I'd be totally sold. For me being into tech, I am not buying the XR for price reasons, so I don't have an issue buying the XS just don't know if I need to coming from an X. There really isn't enough of a difference in speed and camera to warrant the price increase.

I understand, though Apple does make really good color accurate LCD screens. I am not at all ashamed of having an Apple LCD screen over an Apple OLED screen. Apple even did a really good job with Haptic Touch, so I really don’t miss 3D Touch as much. For the price the phone is really stellar.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I understand, though Apple does make really good color accurate LCD screens. I am not at all ashamed of having an Apple LCD screen over an Apple OLED screen. Apple even did a really good job with Haptic Touch, so I really don’t miss 3D Touch as much. For the price the phone is really stellar.

But, did you come from an LCD already or you had an OLED? I think it's hard for me because I've been on the X for so long and feel like I'm downgrading in technology. That's my struggle...and I'm still paying a hefty price...$750 isn't cheap.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have experience with both professionally. I personally am not a big fan of OLED, though Apple’s OLED screens are really good and everything to be proud of.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

My Pixel 3 XL has an OLED screen so I don't miss it all that much. But when it comes to value, the XR definitely has more value than the XS Max does, IMO. There's nothing on the Max that deserves such a ridiculously high price tag.

technutcounselor

Nov 22, 2018
Visit site

Don’t get the XR if you’re into tech. The OLED to LCD was too much of a difference. I could immediately tell that the quality was worse and it drove me nuts. I am also a tech junkie and went from the XS Max to the XR because of the sweet spot size and ended up returning it for the XS due to the LCD. I have had too many OLEDs to go backward. I have a Pixel 3 for work which is OK and thought about getting the XR for work so my biz can pay for it, but I like having my foot in iOS and Android. I may upgrade the Pixel 3 to the 3XL and hold on to it until the Galaxy S10 comes out. I’m going to keep the XS though. Sweet phone and perfect size.

technutcounselor

Nov 22, 2018
Visit site
My Pixel 3 XL has an OLED screen so I don't miss it all that much. But when it comes to value, the XR definitely has more value than the XS Max does, IMO. There's nothing on the Max that deserves such a ridiculously high price tag.

I agree on the price tag. I had the XS Max and returned it for the XR then returned that for the XS. I think there are a lot of sacrifices made to have the XR vs the XS/XS Max: screen quality, portrait mode is better on the XS, no 3D Touch, no Apple OEM cases (still don’t get that). The screen was the deal killer for me. I like the OLEDs too much. But, to each their own. If price is a factor and it is for a lot of us, then the XR would be fine for most.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Don’t get the XR if you’re into tech. The OLED to LCD was too much of a difference. I could immediately tell that the quality was worse and it drove me nuts. I am also a tech junkie and went from the XS Max to the XR because of the sweet spot size and ended up returning it for the XS due to the LCD. I have had too many OLEDs to go backward. I have a Pixel 3 for work which is OK and thought about getting the XR for work so my biz can pay for it, but I like having my foot in iOS and Android. I may upgrade the Pixel 3 to the 3XL and hold on to it until the Galaxy S10 comes out. I’m going to keep the XS though. Sweet phone and perfect size.

Are there any downsides to the OLED screen? I’ve heard burn-in is a problem, is that true?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Are there any downsides to the OLED screen? I’ve heard burn-in is a problem, is that true?

The only real downside is OLED screens, while having a deeper contrast ratio, aren’t quite as bright. That being said I haven’t noticed a difference in brightness compared to my iPhone X and XS Max and any other iPhones I’ve owned. Apple’s OLED displays are ridiculously beautiful.
Burn-in is old news. As a mod I read a good amount of the posts that are made on this forum. I’ve yet to hear a complaint about burn-in and there have been OLED iPhones on the market for over a year at this point.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro